TFBJR

Additional year of eligibility granted by NCAA

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It would seem that way, right?

Just looked it up on the NCAA website. Assuming that it is the same rule that was applied to fall sports, it will not extend the eligibility clock. It is just a single season waiver. It's basically a mulligan for this year.

You get a extra year of eligibility and a extra year to use it.If a senior returns his scholarship won't count against the allotment but school has to pay for it.Dont see many schools paying.

Edited by calot

7 hours ago, TFBJR said:

D-1 Council has voted in favor of giving additional year of eligibility to winter athletes, source told @Stadium. Won’t be official until close of tomorrow’s meeting since it could still be brought back for reconsideration.

Sorry for being slow here but do you mean they are retroactively granting another year of eligibility to those who wrestled last year? 

Or that they are granting an additional year of eligibility to this years group? 

And is the wrestling season basically going to be cancelled?

5 hours ago, wamba said:

Sorry for being slow here but do you mean they are retroactively granting another year of eligibility to those who wrestled last year? 

Or that they are granting an additional year of eligibility to this years group? 

And is the wrestling season basically going to be cancelled?

1. Not retroactive.

2. Not necessarily an extra year that you can take at any time, just not counting this year against your four.

3. Your guess is as good as ours.

26 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

So can my kid, who is a true sophmore, wrestle this year without red shirting and still have 3 years plus his red shirt to go? Or, does he have to use his red shirt this year?

He will be a true sophomore next year with a redshirt still available. 

Basically this year is a redshirt for everyone.  So you there is no reason for anyone to be redshirting this year.

No matter how many matches you wrestle for your team it won't burn a year of eligibility.

The idea being that this will allow kids the chance to compete without fear of the season being cancelled.  And if the season is cancelled, they aren't penalized for trying to compete which will hopefully make schools and athletes decide to stop competition if there should be any health risks that pop up because they will get the season back either way.

2 guys out there that could be 5 timers. Something to watch for. 

I count three: Spencer, Yianni, and Mekhi

Scratch that... Spencer can “only” get four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I count three: Spencer, Yianni, and Mekhi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spencer did not red shirt last year so he lost that opportunity. This is a good idea but doesn’t help the seniors who lost out on the ncaa championship in the spring 

Edited by Eagle26
It would make it possible for Spencer to win 4 NCAA championships though

2 hours ago, calot said:

I think we see something that says you can only compete in 4 championships even though you can compete in 5 seasons

Yeah I think this would make sense but might make things interesting.

For example, would coaches still want to "redshirt" guys for NCAA's?   If so, will they then not want those guys to take too many matches away from the guys that will wrestle in NCAA's, particularly if there are fewer competitions?

Some schools will decide not to give scholarships for that extra year. It already happened for spring athletes at some schools, and budgets are not getting better.

If this ultimately passes, I think it's a good indication that the NCAA doesn't think it likely the winter season will happen or be completed if it does.

2 minutes ago, IronChef said:

If this ultimately passes, I think it's a good indication that the NCAA doesn't think it likely the winter season will happen or be completed if it does.

I don't think so, unless they are also planning on cancelling cross country/soccer/volleyball/etc. championships too whose seasons have already started but also received a free year of eligibility

Edited by 1032004

20 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Tough break for the seniors last year.  Congrats to the guys that get that opportunity this year, although I imagine there are going to be some awkward scholarship conversations.

Yes. I have heard of coaches in many sports saying they will need to have adult conversations with athletes. Getting the extra year is one thing, paying for the extra year is another thing.

What schools charge in tuition and what it costs them to have an additional student enrolled are two very different numbers. In other words, allowing a kid to have an extra year of scholarship is a negligible cost to the school (though if that scholarship includes room & board, that's more of a real cost).