TFBJR

Additional year of eligibility granted by NCAA

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

Will Micic be celebrating his 30th birthday before he finishes his eligibility.   

Being able to put his AARP membership on his resume when he starts the job search will do wonders for his job prospects.

8 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

It really will be amazing if he takes the extra year and the Olympics get delayed and he takes another ORS.

How many people will be confused watching the 2022 NCAA's on ESPN when they introduce him as an eighth year senior?

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

Still younger than Mark and Tanner Hall.  They're both eligible for veterans.

Pretty idiotic ruling that will only exacerbate issues within athletic department revenue shortfalls. Programs will be done tens of millions of dollars without football fans able to attend this season and overall fewer games, yet wrestling programs (that operate in the red) will be getting more scholarships? Is this serious? Very few seniors or underclassmen will ultimately be able to use this extra year because there is simply no money for them. 

The Floboys, especially Christian, seems to operate in this world where athletic department aren't furloughing employees, cutting programs and trimming salaries. But somehow wrestling is going to receive an extra $100-200k per year while athletic department revenue is down 30-50 percent. It's a joke, it's a bad ruling and it will hurt more programs than it helps.

33 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Pretty idiotic ruling that will only exacerbate issues within athletic department revenue shortfalls. Programs will be done tens of millions of dollars without football fans able to attend this season and overall fewer games, yet wrestling programs (that operate in the red) will be getting more scholarships? Is this serious? Very few seniors or underclassmen will ultimately be able to use this extra year because there is simply no money for them. 

The Floboys, especially Christian, seems to operate in this world where athletic department aren't furloughing employees, cutting programs and trimming salaries. But somehow wrestling is going to receive an extra $100-200k per year while athletic department revenue is down 30-50 percent. It's a joke, it's a bad ruling and it will hurt more programs than it helps.

Nobody said nothing about more scholarships. Just the option for another year. All the things you say about budgets are accurate, so it is likely a number of things will happen as a result of this ruling.

Wrestlers will have to pay to go to school like the rest of us. Wrestlers will shop around for better deals. Wrestlers will not exercise the option and get on with their lives.

Many people seem to act like 4 years of eligibility in a 5 year window is the natural order of things and any deviation is an abomination. This is such an artificial construct by the NCAA. There is no reason it can't change.

Micic is 9 months older than Mark Hall, but graduated from high school in 2014. Hall was 2016. Mark's age isn't that weird; he just redshirted before college instead of during it.

Amazing that Micic will be eligible eight years after graduating HS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It only helps the top 5 programs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

It only helps the top 5 programs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I disagree.

If you are a top 5 program that has only 9.9 scholarships to give and a new incoming crop of hot recruits and a bunch of seniors who haven't moved on and a lose of revenue from football, then someone is loosing out on a scholarship. That someone is more likely than not to listen to a non-top 5 program whispering in his ear that he would be an upgrade over whoever they already have. 

Of course, then someone at the non-top 5 program is going to have to look for a spot elsewhere.

And so the dominos fall.

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I disagree.

If you are a top 5 program that has only 9.9 scholarships to give and a new incoming crop of hot recruits and a bunch of seniors who haven't moved on and a lose of revenue from football, then someone is loosing out on a scholarship. That someone is more likely than not to listen to a non-top 5 program whispering in his ear that he would be an upgrade over whoever they already have. 

Of course, then someone at the non-top 5 program is going to have to look for a spot elsewhere.

And so the dominos fall.

The guys wrestling on the extra year won’t count towards the 9.9 scholarships. Heavily favors the rich$$$ RTC programs. But I like the rule. Don’t make the athletes make the choice  to sit out in fear of losing the end of this year. 

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

The guys wrestling on the extra year won’t count towards the 9.9 scholarships. Heavily favors the rich$$$ RTC programs. But I like the rule. Don’t make the athletes make the choice  to sit out in fear of losing the end of this year. 

Even if they don't count toward the 9.9, that presupposes these schools will want to hand out more than 9.9. Given the drop in revenue at every department in the school (tuition, room and board, sports revenue) and increased costs (all that sanitizing, testing, retro-fitting facilities, etc. costs money), I don't see many, if any, schools agreeing to hand out more than 9.9. And RTC's aren't paying tuitions either.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Even if they don't count toward the 9.9, that presupposes these schools will want to hand out more than 9.9. Given the drop in revenue at every department in the school (tuition, room and board, sports revenue) and increased costs (all that sanitizing, testing, retro-fitting facilities, etc. costs money), I don't see many, if any, schools agreeing to hand out more than 9.9. And RTC's aren't paying tuitions either.

What are you talking about?  There are At least 10 donors for each wrestler that would pay for a hammer to wrestle another year. Getting the money for top wrestlers is absolutely zero problem. 
ASU had 8 mil pledged the day they announced cutting the program in 2008. To get money for a few athletes to stay another year is a drop in the bucket for top programs. 

Aren't people happy for the athletes who got a year stolen from them??  Who the F cares how old they are??  This pandemic needs to be over...people have way to much time on their hands and will literally b@#$% to b@#$%.

13 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

What are you talking about?  There are At least 10 donors for each wrestler that would pay for a hammer to wrestle another year. Getting the money for top wrestlers is absolutely zero problem. 
ASU had 8 mil pledged the day they announced cutting the program in 2008. To get money for a few athletes to stay another year is a drop in the bucket for top programs. 

The fact remains that RTC's do not pay tuition.

And as for the minimum of 10 donors for each wrestler, where are the 100 donors willing to bring back Stanford wrestling? Or the 100 donors for Old Dominion? The ASU endowment happened 12 years ago. How many programs have been dropped in the last 12 years without the 10 donors per wrestler stepping up? 

It is a pretty weak argument if you have to cite an outlier to support it.

16 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Even if they don't count toward the 9.9, that presupposes these schools will want to hand out more than 9.9. Given the drop in revenue at every department in the school (tuition, room and board, sports revenue) and increased costs (all that sanitizing, testing, retro-fitting facilities, etc. costs money), I don't see many, if any, schools agreeing to hand out more than 9.9. 

They don't have to...  For one, there are other ways of getting the kids money through academic, need-based, grad school jobs, etc.   And outside of those I don't see a problem with coaches saying "I'm sorry, we'd be glad to have you on the team for another year, but we can't offer you any scholarship money).   

49 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They don't have to...  For one, there are other ways of getting the kids money through academic, need-based, grad school jobs, etc.   And outside of those I don't see a problem with coaches saying "I'm sorry, we'd be glad to have you on the team for another year, but we can't offer you any scholarship money).   

Agreed, to quote myself:

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nobody said nothing about more scholarships. Just the option for another year. All the things you say about budgets are accurate, so it is likely a number of things will happen as a result of this ruling.

Wrestlers will have to pay to go to school like the rest of us. Wrestlers will shop around for better deals. Wrestlers will not exercise the option and get on with their lives.

Many people seem to act like 4 years of eligibility in a 5 year window is the natural order of things and any deviation is an abomination. This is such an artificial construct by the NCAA. There is no reason it can't change.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The fact remains that RTC's do not pay tuition.

And as for the minimum of 10 donors for each wrestler, where are the 100 donors willing to bring back Stanford wrestling? Or the 100 donors for Old Dominion? The ASU endowment happened 12 years ago. How many programs have been dropped in the last 12 years without the 10 donors per wrestler stepping up? 

It is a pretty weak argument if you have to cite an outlier to support it.

It’s not always 100% about money. But the ASU money came mostly from those heavily invested in the RTC. Old dominion doesn’t have that local support. Stanford is not dead yet. It’s not the RTC that writes the check to the school. You could actually see the light if you tried to. 

Hang on.

It is about the money?

21 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Or it isn't about the money?

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

It’s not always 100% about money. But the ASU money came mostly from those heavily invested in the RTC. Old dominion doesn’t have that local support. Stanford is not dead yet. It’s not the RTC that writes the check to the school. You could actually see the light if you tried to. 

To quote a trader I worked with "It's not about the money. It's about the f___in' money."

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Hang on.

It is about the money?

Or it isn't about the money?

To quote a trader I worked with "It's not about the money. It's about the f___in' money."

Trader you worked with. You are too thick headed to still be in that business. But nice movie cliche line. 
To help my friend unable to think on his own. Got an extra year, scholarship money is easy to come by. To shutdown or save a program, it’s not always all about the money. 

38 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

Trader you worked with. You are too thick headed to still be in that business. But nice movie cliche line. 
To help my friend unable to think on his own. Got an extra year, scholarship money is easy to come by. To shutdown or save a program, it’s not always all about the money. 

When your argument relied on an outlier data point from 12 years ago, it was weak.

Now that your strongest argument is a string of baseless insults, I know that even you don't believe it.

Is it possible for this year's winter athletes to have

1 free year

1 redshirt year

1 medical redshirt year

2 Olympic redshirt years

4 regular seasons

9 years total 

A student athlete could have a Regular degree, Masters degree, Ph.D.  or become a Doctor during that timeframe.

1 hour ago, Badger Fan said:

Is it possible for this year's winter athletes to have

1 free year

1 redshirt year

1 medical redshirt year

2 Olympic redshirt years

4 regular seasons

9 years total 

A student athlete could have a Regular degree, Masters degree, Ph.D.  or become a Doctor during that timeframe.

I think so.

Micic is working on 7 years. Say Olympics get delayed and he gets another ORS, that would be 8 years. Through in the medical and voila.