TFBJR

Additional year of eligibility granted by NCAA

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think so.

Micic is working on 7 years. Say Olympics get delayed and he gets another ORS, that would be 8 years. Through in the medical and voila.

When I first read this I thought it read, "Throw in the medicinal and the vodka."  

I wonder if any of the guys who qualify for an extra year say "meh, I'm good" and move on? Glad to hear the news though so Kollin Moore can try to get the title he'd have no doubt one last year. Also, I wonder what happens with Zahid now, if he can make a case?

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I wonder if any of the guys who qualify for an extra year say "meh, I'm good" and move on? Glad to hear the news though so Kollin Moore can try to get the title he'd have no doubt one last year. Also, I wonder what happens with Zahid now, if he can make a case?

Seniors last year are done.  This is in reference to this upcoming season.  But I’m sure plenty of this year’s seniors will move on after this season too.

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I have to believe that there will be some who decide not to exercise the option, either through fatigue or finances. My guess is that there will be little to no money available to those who have the option. They will be told they can return as walk ons as budgets are too tight to support extra scholarships. 

I'm still skeptical regarding this five-year business.  I have not seen a press release from the NCAA regarding the extension, just others' interpretations of what the NCAA decided.  I'm wondering how they can limit wrestlers who competed just this past March to three NCAA tourneys, then turn around and give current wrestlers the opportunity to compete in five tourneys.  That doesn't pass the smell test and will probably result in litigation.

Different organization, but a few days ago the NJCAA issued this release:  https://www.njcaa.org/general/2020-21/releases/20201022oueu7d

If you read carefully, it says that participation won't count against a wrestler's eligibility; but it also says that current eligibility rules apply to anyone who competes in regular season or post-season competition.  Participation does not equal competition?  I had always assumed one meant the other, but these folks are using a different interpretation.

If someone knows something definite, or can post a link to an NCAA release, please respond.  Otherwise I'll continue thinking that we all took different classes in reading tea leaves.

14 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

I'm still skeptical regarding this five-year business.  I have not seen a press release from the NCAA regarding the extension, just others' interpretations of what the NCAA decided.  I'm wondering how they can limit wrestlers who competed just this past March to three NCAA tourneys, then turn around and give current wrestlers the opportunity to compete in five tourneys.  That doesn't pass the smell test and will probably result in litigation.

Different organization, but a few days ago the NJCAA issued this release:  https://www.njcaa.org/general/2020-21/releases/20201022oueu7d

If you read carefully, it says that participation won't count against a wrestler's eligibility; but it also says that current eligibility rules apply to anyone who competes in regular season or post-season competition.  Participation does not equal competition?  I had always assumed one meant the other, but these folks are using a different interpretation.

If someone knows something definite, or can post a link to an NCAA release, please respond.  Otherwise I'll continue thinking that we all took different classes in reading tea leaves.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-extends-eligibility-winter-sport-student-athletes

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Thanks.  I've been looking for something like that but haven't been able to find it.

It still doesn't pass the smell test, though.  Really unfair to guys who lost tournaments last year, in wrestling and other sports.