Fletcher

College wrestlers with judo training?

I know Randy Lewis had some informal judo training. Assume Spencer Lee has (given his parents) and Demas sure looks like he's got a judo background. I recall Jake Herbert saying he started in judo before wrestling.

Any others?  Matt Lackey (see NCAA finals footsweep)? Dylan Ness?

The Terao brothers.

Just remember that almost anybody from Hawaii has judo experience if they also wrestle.

Female wrestlers: 

-Clarissa Chun(5x Jr National Judo champion)

-Victoria Anthony(She almost ALWAYS uses an inside trip she learned from Judo in her senior matches)

-Teshya Alo(too bad she's had kids now and not wrestling any more). 6x Fargo champion, Cadet WC, National Judo Champ, etc..

42 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

-Teshya Alo(too bad she's had kids now and not wrestling any more). 6x Fargo champion, Cadet WC, National Judo Champ, etc..

True. She was a contender.  Is her sister still involved at all?  Haven’t heard much since Teshya left the sport.  

Edited by MadMardigain

38 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Just remember that almost anybody from Hawaii has judo experience if they also wrestle.

A higher percentage of wrestlers from Hawaii have judo experience compared to other states, but I can name many Div. 1 wrestlers from Hawaii that don't/didn't. 

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

A higher percentage of wrestlers from Hawaii have judo experience compared to other states, but I can name many Div. 1 wrestlers from Hawaii that don't/didn't. 

The fact that you can name many Div. 1 wrestlers from Hawaii, in and of itself is your true talent.

11 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Has to be the Japanese influence. I wonder how many of the men and women on the Japanese world teams have a base in judo.... probably a lot of cross over.

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

True. She was a contender.  Is her sister still involved at all?  Haven’t heard much since Teshya left the sport.  

Yeah, it's too bad.  She was definitely a contender.  She had just won Sr. Nationals.

I haven't heard much about Teniya.  The last I remember she had lost in the Olympic Trials qualifier last year in the 62kg consolation bracket.

1 hour ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Has to be the Japanese influence. I wonder how many of the men and women on the Japanese world teams have a base in judo.... probably a lot of cross over.

It is.  It's a state sport in Hawaii with the Hawaii HS Athletic Association.

I can tell you that A LOT of the Japanese men and women have judo experience.  When the Japanese wrestling federation first started the womens program, they recruited from the Womens Judo programs.

12 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Not just a higher percentage....a tremendously higher percentage because it's a state sport.  The only other real place I can think of that's been huge for Judo on the collegiate level has been San Jose State.

Anybody from Hawaii who has ever done well in college wrestling has had a judo background.  Travis Lee or David Terao for example.  Clarissa Chun as well, but you'd better know that with your username....

16 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

It is.  It's a state sport in Hawaii with the Hawaii HS Athletic Association.

I can tell you that A LOT of the Japanese men and women have judo experience.  When the Japanese wrestling federation first started the womens program, they recruited from the Womens Judo programs.

I honestly didnt really know what judo was other than a just another martial art until recently. However, I had a japanese girl take me from standing straight to my back with an aikido move. Damn near broke my wrist with it.

11 hours ago, calot said:

Lee Munster was a judo kid. Maximillian Schneider he's with Welch now at San Fran St started career  at Poly

Schneider won the judo version of cadet worlds, was a training partner in Rio, took home a bronze at '18 WTT, and last I heard is still training for a 2020ne olympic spot. He was also listed as the D2 Hodge frontrunner by Flo last year. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6682601-hypothetical-dii-hodge-ranking

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Schneider won the judo version of cadet worlds, was a training partner in Rio, took home a bronze at '18 WTT, and last I heard is still training for a 2020ne olympic spot. He was also listed as the D2 Hodge frontrunner by Flo last year. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6682601-hypothetical-dii-hodge-ranking

Max is a great story.Hes even a nicer young man.