Fletcher

College wrestlers with judo training?

Jeremy Mendoza wrestled at ASU and had a JUDO background. 

From his ASU profile:

2004-05: Returned to original weight class of 125 pounds and went 26-8 overall...went 2-2 at the NCAA tournament as the No. 12 seed...both victories came by fall...placed fourth at the Pac-10 Championships after medically forfeiting the third-place bout...opened the year with a 9-0 record that included the Fullerton Open title and an 11-5 upset of No. 13 Grant Nakamura of Iowa State (11-5)...went 7-1 in Pac-10 duals and 13-3 in all duals...also had a 10-bout winning streak that was snapped in the semifinals of the conference tournament...won six bouts by fall, two by technical fall and four by major decision... 2003-04: Jumped up two weight classes to earn the starting nod at 141...finished 12-18 on the season...opened the season 0-6 before winning five of his next six matches...was 2-3 at the Pac-10 Championships placing sixth...six of his losses came to nationally ranked opponents...competed at the Reno Tournament of Champions going 2-2... 2002-03: Stepped into the starting line up and went 14-13 in his true freshman campaign...was 2-2 in his first conference meet...losses came to second and third-place finishers.

High School: A 2002 graduate of Temecula Valley High School in Temecula, Calif....lettered three times in wrestling...compiled a 133-27 record with 28 wins by fall...two-time all-CIF and all-county selections...three-time all-Southwestern League...won the Canyon Springs Cougar Classic and also was named Most Outstanding Wrestler...made it to the semifinals of the state tournament...highest state finish was sixth...captain of his squad as a senior...also won a national championship in judo.

Personal: Majoring in elementary education...parents are John and Olivia Mendoza...has three siblings: JT, Joey and Beth...brother JT was a wrestler at Phoenix College...hobbies include fishing and body boarding...born March 24, 1984, in Mesa, Ariz....full name is Jeremy Ray Mendoza.

Thanks everyone. I've looked up some of these names and gone down a few rabbit holes. Looks like there's 2-3 judo moves that carry over more to wrestling particularly well - headlock (with a leg sweep), trip/throw when coming up from bottom (Randy Lewis did this a lot), and foot sweep. All fascinating stuff.

Uchi Mata with a near-side over hook and grabbing the far wrist translates well. Jamil Kelly seemed to have used a variation on his ride to Olympic Silver.

Seoi Nage is another one that works in wrestling 

3 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Not just a higher percentage....a tremendously higher percentage because it's a state sport.  The only other real place I can think of that's been huge for Judo on the collegiate level has been San Jose State.

Anybody from Hawaii who has ever done well in college wrestling has had a judo background.  Travis Lee or David Terao for example.  Clarissa Chun as well, but you'd better know that with your username....

I would agree with "tremendously higher percentage," but you previously said "almost anybody" which is not correct.  

I don't know what your standard is for doing well in college wrestling, but Bill Stonebraker was an NAIA champ for Pacific in the 1990's, Blake Cooper was a NAIA champ in 2016, and Blaysen Terukina is the 2020 NAIA champ.  All three are not judo guys.  As I pointed out previously, Nakamura from ISU who was a 3x NCAA qualifier, also is not a judo guy.

I know Clarissa, Travis, and David very well.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I would agree with "tremendously higher percentage," but you previously said "almost anybody" which is not correct.  

I don't know what your standard is for doing well in college wrestling, but Bill Stonebraker was an NAIA champ for Pacific in the 1990's, Blake Cooper was a NAIA champ in 2016, and Blaysen Terukina is the 2020 NAIA champ.  All three are not judo guys.  As I pointed out previously, Nakamura from ISU who was a 3x NCAA qualifier, also is not a judo guy.

Specifically referring to D1 or Womens

Tony Okada was a 2 time California State Champ. He was trained by his Father Ted Okada who was a US Judo team member in the 70's. Tony represented the US on the 1992 Olympic team as a 19 year old. He attended San Jose State but not as a wrestler, rather to train in Judo.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I'm not saying they had to be judokas for years or have competed in tournaments at all.  Judo exposure at some point in Hawaii is inevitable.  It could have been like our room.  A few of us practiced judo after wrestling practice or during the off season.  We had a multiple time  jr national champion who was very, very good and one of our guys also competed for Mexico in the '92 Olympics in Judo.  The rest of us didn't belong to a judo dojo.  We only practiced with our small group and that's judo experience.  We used a lot of judo moves for takedowns all the time and it definitely helped when tying up while in neutral.

21 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I'm not saying they had to be judokas for years or have competed in tournaments at all.  Judo exposure at some point in Hawaii is inevitable.  It could have been like our room.  A few of us practiced judo after wrestling practice or during the off season.  We had a multiple time  jr national champion who was very, very good and one of our guys also competed for Mexico in the '92 Olympics in Judo.  The rest of us didn't belong to a judo dojo.  We only practiced with our small group and that's judo experience.  We used a lot of judo moves for takedowns all the time and it definitely helped when tying up while in neutral.

You keep modifying your criteria so it fits the narrative of the statement you made in your original post that, "almost anybody from Hawaii has judo experience if they also wrestle."  If you go with your new definition, then it applies to almost anyone.  I think a more reasonable definition for "judo background" would be taking formal classes from a judo blackbelt and earning judo rank, which could be as little as yellow belt (gokyu).  

I'll concede that there is heavy crossover between the wrestling and judo communities in Hawaii, and a significant percentage of accomplished wrestlers out of Hawaii have a judo background.  But not every Div. 1 or USWNT wrestler from Hawaii has a judo background. 

Since the three NAIA champs from Hawaii I named previously didn't fit your criteria as having "done well in college wrestling," I will give you more examples.  Tiare Ikei, who won the 2019 US Open at women's freestyle 53kg over Katherine Shai, does not have a judo background.  Same with her brother who wrestled for 2 years at ASU.  Kysen Terukina, who was ranked #11 in the country at 126 by Flo last season and is a freshman this year at Iowa State, also does not have a judo background.  Same with his teammate Corey Cabanban, who is the second string 125 at ISU, as well as Kysen's older brother who was a two year starter at ISU several years ago.

19 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You keep modifying your criteria so it fits the narrative of the statement you made in your original post that, "almost anybody from Hawaii has judo experience if they also wrestle."  If you go with your new definition, then it applies to almost anyone.  I think a more reasonable definition for "judo background" would be taking formal classes from a judo blackbelt and earning judo rank, which could be as little as yellow belt (gokyu).  

I'll concede that there is heavy crossover between the wrestling and judo communities in Hawaii, and a significant percentage of accomplished wrestlers out of Hawaii have a judo background.  But not every Div. 1 or USWNT wrestler from Hawaii has a judo background. 

Since the three NAIA champs from Hawaii I named previously didn't fit your criteria as having "done well in college wrestling," I will give you more examples.  Tiare Ikei, who won the 2019 US Open at women's freestyle 53kg over Katherine Shai, does not have a judo background.  Same with her brother who wrestled for 2 years at ASU.  Kysen Terukina, who was ranked #11 in the country at 126 by Flo last season and is a freshman this year at Iowa State, also does not have a judo background.  Same with his teammate Corey Cabanban, who is the second string 125 at ISU, as well as Kysen's older brother who was a two year starter at ISU several years ago.

Ok, let's say then that there are some wrestlers from Hawaii with judo training so your arteries won't burst....lmao

Good examples of the other kids.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, ShakaAloha said:

NAIA has too many obscure sounding schools to be taken seriously. If not for women’s wrestling I would have heard of exact zero on the list I just looked up.

In my best Maury voice:

”you are stating that good wrestlers from Hawaii do NOT have judo backgrounds.... Google has determined...that is a lie.”

On 10/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, Fletcher said:

I know Randy Lewis had some informal judo training. Assume Spencer Lee has (given his parents) and Demas sure looks like he's got a judo background. I recall Jake Herbert saying he started in judo before wrestling.

Any others?  Matt Lackey (see NCAA finals footsweep)? Dylan Ness?

I'm not sure if either Demas did Judo but their Dad Lou was a Greco guy in the military and did a Greco club and private instruction in Central Ohio for a while.  While Dom is a big thrower Josh was more leg attacks and duckunders with the occasional big lift and return from the top.  

On 10/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, HokieHWT said:

Mocco 

Mocco placed at judo nationals while in high school. His sister, Katie, was also a national judo champ and I think was and olympian as well

On 10/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, Sheerstress said:

Jason Morris and Jimmy Pedro are probably the best known judokas (Olympic silver medalist, world champion) who also wrestled in college.

Just to add a little. Morris was an D1 AA at Syracuse and Pedro was an EIWA champ at Brown

21 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Mocco placed at judo nationals while in high school. His sister, Katie, was also a national judo champ and I think was and olympian as well

Correct. Mocco won Junior Nationals in Judo in ‘99. Both he and his sister were ‘08 Olympians.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:29 PM, Idaho said:

My buddy Eli Blazeff was a 2x AA at Michigan State and also won several national open judo championships and repped the US at the world championships a couple times. 

Back in the 70s and 80s at MSU, Professor Kim was friends with Grady Peninger, and in the off season, many of the MSU wrestlers would train in judo.  I think Jim Mason, Mike Potts and others were also successful in judo as a well.

4 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

Back in the 70s and 80s at MSU, Professor Kim was friends with Grady Peninger, and in the off season, many of the MSU wrestlers would train in judo.  I think Jim Mason, Mike Potts and others were also successful in judo as a well.

Yes Jay Kim trained Eli who won the national title when it was held at MSU