gimpeltf

Bloom-Haven-Field

My understanding is that the schools will not be merged and will continue to operate their own campuses but they will have shared leadership and share other resources where it is justified.

This will cut down on administrative bloat while allowing the schools to operate as their own campuses.  

At least that is what the letters I have been sent in the mail have said.  They affirmed that there would be no merging or closing of campuses.  

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Calif-Clar-Boro and Bloom-Haven-Field

Hmm, Slimy Pebble closer to Clarion and Boro than is Calif, Does Cheney combine with West Chester or Lincoln? ----

I am thinking this is like combining School districts( the idea of making 67 is kind of stupid 

On a more serious note... I could see things going badly here. I’ve heard there’s potential of only offering certain majors at certain campuses. Could mean a lot of kids have to transfer or change majors. Not sure if athletics will be combined in anyway?

11 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

On a more serious note... I could see things going badly here. I’ve heard there’s potential of only offering certain majors at certain campuses. Could mean a lot of kids have to transfer or change majors. Not sure if athletics will be combined in anyway?

Depending on the majors, it could be a good thing.   

if a school has a major with very low enrollment then it would make sense for it to be consolidated.  

At the end of the day they are one system and should operate efficiency.  I can’t see a wholesale move where there aren’t any overlap of majors at the three schools.  That would just be absurd and create a strange campus without the ability to offer a diverse educational experience.  

The news headlines I have read seem to be sensationalize to get people worked up and not be in keeping with the actual plans, as I understand it.   

35 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I always thought they should close some, merge the rest and make another PA super state university.  Keep some as future satellites. 

The issue is really the expansion of Penn State and Pitt with their more expansive satellite campuses.  Penn State and Pitt have really expanded their regional/satellite campuses and have turned them into full campuses to compete with the State Schools.  Most of these campuses were created to only offer two year instruction filling a community college type niche while providing transfer opportunities to the flagship.  But they have since become four year schools with full residential campuses. 

It has created a lot of state funded schools for a limited number of students.  And a lot of the expansion of Pitt and Penn State campuses was funded by state funding for economic development to bring jobs to communities were facing economic decline.

It has been a slow and subtle chipping away at the schools year after year that has lead to the decline trend.  

But it probably would make sense for schools to consolidate into a parent subsystem.  For instance, the PASSHE having Edinboro, California, Clarion, Indiana, and Slippery Rock sharing leadership as a Western Pennsylvania grouping of schools would allow them to each to remain independent campuses while sharing administrative functions to create efficiencies and with a shared administration the competition between them could be minimized. 

I do know of other schools that have explored these types of partnerships and consolidations.  Things like schools sharing one HR office, one Financial Aid office, one Legal/Regulatory office, as well as many other consolidations makes for less administrative bloat for the schools.  It makes perfect sense for state schools that are largely regional schools aimed at serving their local regions of the state.

most of the 14 schools(7) are 7000 to 9999 students.  West Chester is like 17,000. Indiana is like 12000, and I believe the only one one to issue doctorates. Cheyney is under 700. But I was surprised to see Mansfield is under 1500 Boro- Haven-Clarion are in the 44-5400 range  

Probably makes sense to elevate WCU doctoral status

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

Depending on the majors, it could be a good thing.   

if a school has a major with very low enrollment then it would make sense for it to be consolidated.  

At the end of the day they are one system and should operate efficiency.  I can’t see a wholesale move where there aren’t any overlap of majors at the three schools.  That would just be absurd and create a strange campus without the ability to offer a diverse educational experience.  

The news headlines I have read seem to be sensationalize to get people worked up and not be in keeping with the actual plans, as I understand it.   

I was looking at it from a current athletes perspective. Say you were wrestling for Loch Haven and next year they say your major is only available at the Bloomsburg campus. You would have to change majors or transfer but there’s a big difference between the two wrestling programs at the moment. Maybe they will let these student finish their major online? If not that would really suck for those involved (may be only a handful of kids but still)

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

I was looking at it from a current athletes perspective. Say you were wrestling for Loch Haven and next year they say your major is only available at the Bloomsburg campus. You would have to change majors or transfer but there’s a big difference between the two wrestling programs at the moment. Maybe they will let these student finish their major online? If not that would really suck for those involved (may be only a handful of kids but still)

That's not how they sunset programs.

They do a teach out.  Which simply means they stop accepting students into a program and then the program ends when the students in the program have completed their progress.  So basically it is typically over four years they phase out the program.  And yes, they sometimes allow for online classes for those that fall behind on the progress with a partnering school.  

So honestly it isn't a big deal.  It would only be a big deal for wrestling if the major that was sunset was one that a lot of wrestlers enrolled in and there was nothing else at the school that they moved to.  But that isn't likely.

14 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

That's not how they sunset programs.

They do a teach out.  Which simply means they stop accepting students into a program and then the program ends when the students in the program have completed their progress.  So basically it is typically over four years they phase out the program.  And yes, they sometimes allow for online classes for those that fall behind on the progress with a partnering school.  

So honestly it isn't a big deal.  It would only be a big deal for wrestling if the major that was sunset was one that a lot of wrestlers enrolled in and there was nothing else at the school that they moved to.  But that isn't likely.

Thanks. I didn’t realize they would do that but it definitely makes sense to do it that way. Hope they stick to that!

Although its just admin for now, if an eventual merger are they the Husky Bald Mountaineers? (Huskies, Bald Eagles and Mountaineers)

Would a merged Clarion-CA(PA)-Edinboro be the Golden Fighting Vulcans? (Golden Eagles, Fighting Scots, Vulcans)
Is Fighting Scots non-PC in today's academia?  :lol: 

6 hours ago, Asa Packer said:

Although its just admin for now, if an eventual merger are they the Husky Bald Mountaineers? (Huskies, Bald Eagles and Mountaineers)

Would a merged Clarion-CA(PA)-Edinboro be the Golden Fighting Vulcans? (Golden Eagles, Fighting Scots, Vulcans)
Is Fighting Scots non-PC in today's academia?  :lol: 

Is Vulcans PC? I guess since both Nimoy and Lenard have passed away- no one left to complain!

I guess if he can repeat his post from the Lehigh forum, so can I!