Sign in to follow this  
jdalu75

The End of Wrestling Report

That's sad if it truly is gone - for a long time, it was one of the best sites for coverage of smaller programs, and particularly those DII and DIII PA colleges.  I think after Allen Brown passed, the motivation and drive to keep it going just wasn't there.

11 hours ago, red blades said:

That's sad if it truly is gone - for a long time, it was one of the best sites for coverage of smaller programs, and particularly those DII and DIII PA colleges.  I think after Allen Brown passed, the motivation and drive to keep it going just wasn't there.

Allen was really the driver behind it in my opinion.  He contributed the most discussion and information with others feeding off him to create a community discussion. 

I remembered, long ago, when I started to surf the web (back then w/dial-up modems... always trying to get a faster line.)

My first foray into wrestling message boards was the AOL message wrestling boards. Soon after, I stumbled onto the Wrestling Report fora.

When I saw that there was a dedicated spot there for EIWA/LEHIGH Wrestling, I was hooked for the long term!

Met up w/ some "interesting" characters and also, what eventually became, VERY good people that we all occasionally got together at some duals and the EIWA's.

(We're still in contact now. ;-) )

WR.com was good while it last.

cheers!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Yes, it is definitely sad to see it go! Things just haven’t been the same since we lost Stovepipe. That was such a huge loss for the wrestling community. Agree with the OP that there hasn’t been a substitute for that site 

Bigredbears.com was created to help make up for the vacuum caused by the loss of WrestlingReport.com (at least for Cornell).  What is wrestling without a forum on which we can snipe at one another?  Still waiting for some of the more antagonistic Lehigh fans to make their way over.

One of the things I liked about the WR forum is that you did have a pretty broad representation of other EIWA fans - Navy, Army, Penn, AU, Princeton as well as Lehigh and Cornell all had at least several frequent posters, which made for some pretty lively discussions.  A fair number of the PSU fans used to chime in as well.  Having separate and distinct team fora seems to dampen that kind of discussion - it's almost as if there is an unwritten rule that one does not intrude on the prevailing opinion on another team's forum - it seems trollish.  Not to mention, there is the added step of joining and logging in on yet another website.  You have to intentionally do it, just to poke at your rival - as opposed to just clicking on a different tab in a website you already  check out to follow your own favorite team.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, RED said:

Bigredbears.com was created to help make up for the vacuum caused by the loss of WrestlingReport.com (at least for Cornell).  What is wrestling without a forum on which we can snipe at one another?  Still waiting for some of the more antagonistic Lehigh fans to make their way over.

They always paid when they promoted themselves here.