CoachJSS

Fresno St to cut

The President who recently added Wrestling at Fresno State (Joseph Castro) was recently appointed Chancellor of the California State University System but I believe is still the President at Fresno State.   So it would appear that he would have to be discontinuing the program he just started.

From the Fresno Bee article on this:

"The Bulldogs’ wrestling program, which had been dropped in 2006 in a cost-cutting move, returned to the mat for the 2018 season. It quickly developed top-level wrestlers, but its operating costs were nearly double what was projected when the sport was reinstated."

"Fresno State spent $1.12 million on wrestling in 2019, the most of the three sports that were eliminated."

"The wrestling program also has been under investigation by the university and the NCAA for rules violations after a report that a stripper or strippers performed at a party that included recruits on official visits."

"And, while the Valley is a hotbed for prep wrestling, that did not translate into ticket sales for meets at the Save Mart Center, even if Fresno State was ranked in the Top 10 in the nation in attendance."

"It generated $118,252 in ticket revenue in 2018, but only $79,645 in 2019, according to the financial report Fresno State submitted to the NCAA."

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/article246504080.html#storylink=cpy

Related to recent Division 1 relaxation of their rule re minimum number of sports programs?.

This sucks - there's already less than 80 D1 programs in the country. Losing ODU, Stanford and Fresno St. in one year is brutal; that's almost 4% of all programs.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I’d really like to know how the team was allowed to double the expected operating budget. 

Unfortunately, such is the problem with being in a small airport market like Fresno, flying to other small airport markets like Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Cedar Rapids (or worse, Waterloo), and those are just conference duals.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

10 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Unfortunately, such is the problem with being in a small airport market like Fresno, flying to other small airport markets like Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Cedar Rapids (or worse, Waterloo), and those are just conference duals.

Shouldn’t that have been in the expected budget though?   

12 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

True that is a problem....however you have to adjust your schedule and expenses to stay on budget. In a fiscally fragile sport like wrestling, you can't go several hundred thousand in the hole every year. 

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The Big 12 did not have a required schedule at the time they joined the conference.

Which means they could have adjusted any way they wanted to stay on course with the budget. 

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of every budget line in a wrestling program...but I do understand that people work with bottom lines and that's where people look when making tough decisions. Not a good day for wrestling...and probably an even worse day for the West in terms of trying to improve the sport and the opportunities. 

At least they are honoring scholarships and Steiner's contract for where it is currently -which I am not sure about. 

21 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

That is an explanation for why it’s expensive to travel. It’s not an explanation for why they went way over the expected costs. Flying didn’t drastically rise in cost since that expected budget was developed. Only two schools outside the Power 5 spent more on wrestling than Fresno State, and their relatively low tuition makes scholarship expenses much lower than the likes of Lehigh. 

It may not have ultimately made a difference, but when you add a sport with financial expectations and then go way past that, it could be cause for evaluating your commitment to that sport. I’m not blaming the coaches here. You don’t just go hundreds of thousands over budget without permission to spend. That’s my question. How did it get to be this way? Which parts of the expected budget are they dramatically overspending?

This effectively kills California college wrestling at the D I level. It leaves 3 schools, Bakersfield (who is self funded) cal poly and cal baptist. How long those 3 schools will be around, nobody knows.

the only thing that could be done is to get these private D I schools in Cali to add wrestling. There are some in the west coast conference. Otherwise, it’s pretty much over. Where will that leave Oregon st and Arizona st? 

20 minutes ago, CoachJSS said:

This effectively kills California college wrestling at the D I level. It leaves 3 schools, Bakersfield (who is self funded) cal poly and cal baptist. How long those 3 schools will be around, nobody knows.

the only thing that could be done is to get these private D I schools in Cali to add wrestling. There are some in the west coast conference. Otherwise, it’s pretty much over. Where will that leave Oregon st and Arizona st? 

Corvallis and Tempe with more trips to Cali to recruit.... Does Cal Baptist "officially" join the D1 ranks in terms of a conference and post season in 21-22? If so, they would slip in and take Stanfords spot to keep the conference hanging by a thread. Outside of that it's expand the Pac 12, go to the B12 or...

11 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

it's about............ an AD that SUCKS/ED.

I have said before we need to push wrestlers toward going into athletic administration........ Most AD's are not interested in wrestling at ALL and could care less if it survives.

Actually, it was about a University President that sucked, to the point of whacking wrestling to add a baseball program as his "pet project", a pet project that played exactly 14 games before itself being unceremoniously canned...

5 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Actually, it was about a University President that sucked, to the point of whacking wrestling to add a baseball program as his "pet project", a pet project that played exactly 14 games before itself being unceremoniously canned...

Yep! And uses the AD at his beckoning....I agree with @AKHUNTER... AD's don't seem interested in wresting and play a part in the budget downfalls - As stated before, I don't know what happened with the FSU budget - but the AD knew. 

On 10/17/2020 at 11:07 PM, CoachJSS said:

They are going to have to join another conference. Big 12 wrestling was already dying. 

fresno State seemed like one of the few places that might make wrestling profitable. They had solid turnout, especially considering they weren’t all that good compared to the best teams. They were certainly doing well for a new team and had great momentum. 

I was hopeful that in the next 5ish years they would be making $$$ for the school. If they could’ve gotten a few more local guys to become AAs, run popular social media channels, etc they could’ve sold out every dual. 

A guy like Chase Saldate, with a huge social media following, could’ve changed everything 

What do you think it would have taken for Fresno State to become a profitable program? You mentioned a sellout for every dual. How many fans is that per match? I don’t know what their arena looks like. If they could average 10,000 per match for 7 dates a year at $15 per ticket, that is about $1 million in ticket revenue which would get them close. It would also make them one of only 2 schools to ever get 70K in total attendance. 

Seems obvious joining the Big 12 instead of the PAC 12 was part of the problem. That would have allowed them to fly into big city airports for a lot of duals. By my quick count, within an 1.5 hour bus ride of NYC, Philadelphia, DC you get 6-6-4 D1 teams