CoachJSS

Fresno St to cut

Looks like their only trips that probably involved air travel last year were the Virginia Duals, and duals against Wyoming, NDSU, SDSU, IL and OK (and Big 12's in OK).    Everything else was in CA, and they did dual both CSUB and Cal Poly (1 was home 1 was away).  They went to Reno and CKLV but I imagine they could have driven the 6 or less hours to those, or maybe flown to Vegas which usually has cheap flights.  Would that really equate to over $1M spent?

Edited by 1032004

The $1 million or so sounds like it's the total cost, not just operating expenses. That includes salaries, benefits, and 9.9 scholarships.

2019 salary + benefits
Steiner $176K
Silva $103K
Chamberlain $97K

Total cost in state is about $22K so 9.9 of those is about $220K

Add all that up and you get close to $500K. I would be interested to know how that portion of the cost compares to expectations when the program started.

In their EADA disclosure, they list operating expenses of $230K. That still leaves about a quarter million unaccounted for. Someone with the time and inclination could probably FOIA the budget info and find out.

10 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The $1 million or so sounds like it's the total cost, not just operating expenses. That includes salaries, benefits, and 9.9 scholarships.

2019 salary + benefits
Steiner $176K
Silva $103K
Chamberlain $97K

Add all that up and you get close to $500K. I would be interested to know how that portion of the cost compares to expectations when the program started.

In their EADA disclosure, they list operating expenses of $230K. That still leaves about a quarter million unaccounted for. Someone with the time and inclination could probably FOIA the budget info and find out.

paging Jason Bryant...

Not to get too sidetracked as I know the tuition aspect has been discussed in other threads.   While I get not counting tuition as revenue for the athletic team when it really is for the school, if you're doing that it doesn't seem fair IMO to also count scholarships as an expense.   If that's the case, for non-scholarship guys I feel like you should at least be able to count the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition or something, since while I'm sure the argument is that student could probably be replaced by a non-wrestler, but it would most likely be an in-state student.

23 hours ago, RichB said:

Seems obvious joining the Big 12 instead of the PAC 12 was part of the problem. That would have allowed them to fly into big city airports for a lot of duals. By my quick count, within an 1.5 hour bus ride of NYC, Philadelphia, DC you get 6-6-4 D1 teams

They didn't try to get into the PAC 12? 

22 hours ago, 1032004 said:

paging Jason Bryant...

Not to get too sidetracked as I know the tuition aspect has been discussed in other threads.   While I get not counting tuition as revenue for the athletic team when it really is for the school, if you're doing that it doesn't seem fair IMO to also count scholarships as an expense.   If that's the case, for non-scholarship guys I feel like you should at least be able to count the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition or something, since while I'm sure the argument is that student could probably be replaced by a non-wrestler, but it would most likely be an in-state student.

I hate when scholarships are used as an expense - they aren't a fixed cost. It's just sending money from one part of the school to another, while the part that takes gets the money to the school from the walk-ons doesn't get any credit for bringing kids in to the university bottom line. It's a one-way transaction that's a failure. Shell games. And don't tell die-hard football fans their sport doesn't make as much as they think they do - they'll automatically turn into some revenue seeking realist about our sport, but not their own. Distrust the admins until they take away your precious football. 

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I hate when scholarships are used as an expense - they aren't a fixed cost. It's just sending money from one part of the school to another, while the part that takes gets the money to the school from the walk-ons doesn't get any credit for bringing kids in to the university bottom line. It's a one-way transaction that's a failure. Shell games. And don't tell die-hard football fans their sport doesn't make as much as they think they do - they'll automatically turn into some revenue seeking realist about our sport, but not their own. Distrust the admins until they take away your precious football. 

Have you requested an interview with either Mr. Tumey or Castro for Short Time?

Have you requested an interview with either Mr. Tumey or Castro for Short Time?

Not as yet - I usually hang back until I know what the local movement is doing before I move in on things these days. Ever since my Cleveland State interview years ago, only one AD has been willing to come on the show live. Most are now just refusing all interviews. The school that paid me to do their show wouldn’t even come on and went with a full department Q&A they had to get a bunch of eyes on.

I’ll ask soon but I’m again unlikely to get any of these ADs to own it beyond a comment in a Friday release.

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Not as yet - I usually hang back until I know what the local movement is doing before I move in on things these days. Ever since my Cleveland State interview years ago, only one AD has been willing to come on the show live. Most are now just refusing all interviews. The school that paid me to do their show wouldn’t even come on and went with a full department Q&A they had to get a bunch of eyes on.

I’ll ask soon but I’m again unlikely to get any of these ADs to own it beyond a comment in a Friday release.

Should be noted that the Cleveland State AD ended up changing his mind after coming on.

Edit to add: This was directed at the masses, not Jason himself.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

On 10/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, TexRef said:

They didn't try to get into the PAC 12? 

Yes, but at the time the Pac-12 already had a max number of non-member schools represented. At the same time that FSU  moved on and was in negotiations with the Big12, BSU dropped their program, but it was too late at that point. Since then the PAC 12 has been open to more non-member schools. 

On 10/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, IronChef said:

2019 salary + benefits
Steiner $176K
Silva $103K
Chamberlain $97K

One article said 589k in revenue (2019) and 1.129 mil in total expenses. 

On 10/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, Idaho said:

One article said 589k in revenue (2019) and 1.129 mil in total expenses. 

That 589K is wrestling revenue?  I am assuming that includes fundraising because only a handful of wrestling teams reach that amount.

3 hours ago, Boompa said:

That 589K is wrestling revenue?  I am assuming that includes fundraising because only a handful of wrestling teams reach that amount.

From the article: "It received $160,000 from the university in 2019, according to the annual financial report Fresno State submits to the NCAA, with $243,576 coming from donors. It had a total of $588,827 in operating revenue last year. Of that only $79,645 came from ticket revenue, a decline of more than $38,000 from 2018 when ticket sales generated $118,252.Total expenses for the program in 2019 were listed at $1,129,826, considerably more than projected when the Bulldogs’ athletics department was in a three-phase plan to reinstate the sport. Department officials then had estimated the cost to operate the program to be around $689,000 a year."

I'm not sure what went on here when the AD oversees the programs and budgets. 

Are there any “Save FSU Wrestling” attempts happening? I’m only hearing of transfers out. Any new info on attempts to save the program or statements from coaches or wrestlers?