Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Scholarship relief only available for seniors next year

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere on the forum yet, but J. Jaggers on FRL said that the exception allowing scholarships not to count for this year (or next year, it wasn't totally clear) would only apply to seniors.  I hadn't seen it written anywhere either.  If this is true, that's obviously a big win for Iowa, since it will give them a free extra year of Spencer Lee, Austin Desanto, Jaydin Eierman, Kaleb Young, Alex Marinelli, and Michael Kemerer.

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

When Jaggers said that I thought, damn, imagine that...

I'm wondering who pushed for this exception.  We all know the rules are really focused and pushed by the revenue sports, but most major basketball programs don't really have a bunch of seniors.

This is the same rule that was applies to spring sports.  

seniors (who were expected to exhaust their eligibility but who are now given another year with everyone else) will not count against the scholarship limit if they return to the program.  If they go to a new school they count against the limit.  

this was done so that coaches wouldn’t have to decide between pulling seniors scholarships or pulling incoming recruits scholarships to stay under the scholarship limit.  

however, this doesn’t mean schools will do it.  Because the schools have to come up with the money and most athletic departments are cutting spending and this would require increasing spending.  Even some of the bigger name baseball schools have said they won’t be expanding their scholarship budgets to fund seniors returning on scholarship.  Seniors are able to return as walk-one if they like.