Sign in to follow this  
ILisSTILLgood

Hello from a newbie. Have a couple questions.

Okay, so I've been watching wrestling again this year after a long hiatus.  I didn't realize how much content there is online, something there was not much of when I graduated HS.  So here I am, able to follow the sport and getting into it again. 

NOW,

Q1. IS there a site to get live updates on things like senior nationals?   I went to my cottage the weekend of senior nationals and I could not get any sort of live updates.  Are there websites that put up a simple bracket for me to see?  I remember following the state tournament for IL in like 07, and even then they were updating brackets every match. 

Q2.  Is flo worth it?  Are they the clear number one if you really want to follow the sport?  If they had monthly payment I probably would have it already but I just don't like that they don't offer it anymore. 

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping that we put something together for worlds and the olympics goes off next year, fingers crossed. 

Good questions...

Floarena and track wrestling will have live results. Typically the streaming service streaming the event will also post live results. Flo and track both allow you to access those live results for free.

Twitter is where a lot of wrestling media, coaches, and wrestlers interact. If you have a certain program you follow or if you’re really into freestyle, there are Twitter accounts that will keep you up to date on the latest and most important info.

As far as Flo, Track, and other streaming services, I think they’re all worth it. Each has their own focus and are relatively inexpensive. 

I’d be happy to answer any other questions you have.

It pains me to say this, but the quickest and most efficient way to get up to speed is make the flo radio live podcast part of your weekly routine.  They get a bad rap for glossing over events not on their platform, but the discussion is relatively comprehensive, albeit mostly superficial.  It is virtually perfect for someone returning to wrestling who understands the sport but has a delinquent understanding of the current landscape and storylines.  They do a nice job of front-loading the show with the most relevant topics before devolving into general nonsense.

While we're at it, I do find it bizarre that they're not really acknowledging the possible cancellation of the season.  Maybe there's just not much to say and it's understood.  It does come off obtuse, especially with the soundbite of the the guys laughing at a suggestion the 2020 event could be cancelled a week or two before still ringing in my ears.

Regardless, based off what I think you're looking to accomplish, FRL could be the way to go.  When there are subjects and areas of wrestling you want to dig deeper into, there are other podcasts that may be a better choice, but Flo makes a good light blanket.  For the price you can't beat it.

4 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:While we're at it, I do find it bizarre that they're not really acknowledging the possible cancellation of the season.  Maybe there's just not much to say and it's understood.  It does come off obtuse, especially with the soundbite of the the guys laughing at a suggestion the 2020 event could be cancelled a week or two before still ringing in my ears.

I think most people are in flat out denial mode about it. The season not happening I mean. Or aren’t actually being pragmatic about it. It doesn’t really feel like anyone beyond a few individual college coaches are working on figuring out the logistics of a delayed or spring season if it happens.

Even in high school you are seeing it. Even when some coaches and coaches associations are being smart and working to move to spring or summer to increase likelihood of actually having  a season at all. You’re still still seeing a bunch either insist on having the season as normal or whining about restrictions.

It’s irritating because instead of being pragmatic about the situation as is. And actually trying to do something productive. Most just seem intent on whining. 

@ILisSTILLgood,  Kozak and JHRose gave some solid advice.

This place is a great start and add on from here.  FLO is worth the fee in my opinion.  Track serves a purpose.  Not sure about ROFKIN. I don't have Twitter but I'm able to read much or all of what is written on there, just can't respond.  

ps  Don't get into a, 'tug of war' with an immovable object.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:39 PM, Jon_Kozak said:

Good questions...

Floarena and track wrestling will have live results. Typically the streaming service streaming the event will also post live results. Flo and track both allow you to access those live results for free.

Twitter is where a lot of wrestling media, coaches, and wrestlers interact. If you have a certain program you follow or if you’re really into freestyle, there are Twitter accounts that will keep you up to date on the latest and most important info.

As far as Flo, Track, and other streaming services, I think they’re all worth it. Each has their own focus and are relatively inexpensive. 

I’d be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Thank you.  I didn't realize FLO gave results...I stayed away because I figured without subscription they would give nothing.  Hadn't been to the trackwrestling site either so this is a big help. 

On 10/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, JHRoseWrestling said:

It pains me to say this, but the quickest and most efficient way to get up to speed is make the flo radio live podcast part of your weekly routine.  They get a bad rap for glossing over events not on their platform, but the discussion is relatively comprehensive, albeit mostly superficial.  It is virtually perfect for someone returning to wrestling who understands the sport but has a delinquent understanding of the current landscape and storylines.  They do a nice job of front-loading the show with the most relevant topics before devolving into general nonsense.

While we're at it, I do find it bizarre that they're not really acknowledging the possible cancellation of the season.  Maybe there's just not much to say and it's understood.  It does come off obtuse, especially with the soundbite of the the guys laughing at a suggestion the 2020 event could be cancelled a week or two before still ringing in my ears.

Regardless, based off what I think you're looking to accomplish, FRL could be the way to go.  When there are subjects and areas of wrestling you want to dig deeper into, there are other podcasts that may be a better choice, but Flo makes a good light blanket.  For the price you can't beat it.

No joke, I love FRL.  I didnt think I would but it took me one show and I was hooked.  The only thing is the senior nationals recap is just out this week unless you're a subscriber.  I will eventually get it, but until then I have to deal with the delay.