Russian nationals 2020 resutls

Event Gold Silver Bronze
57 kg
details
Dagestan Zaur Uguev Moscow Oblast Azamat Tuskaev Dagestan Akhmed Idrisov
Chechnya Muslim Sadulaev
61 kg
details
Dagestan Abasgadzhi Magomedov Dagestan Ramazan Ferzaliev Dagestan Ibragim Abdurakhmanov
Buryatia Zhargal Damdinov
65 kg
details
Dagestan Gadzhimurad Rashidov Chechnya Akhmed Chakaev North Ossetia – Alania Alan Gogaev
Dagestan Zagir Shakhiev
70 kg
details
North Ossetia – Alania Chermen Valiev Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug David Baev Dagestan Kurban Shiraev
Krasnoyarsk Krai Ruslan Zhendaev
74 kg
details
Chechnya Razambek Zhamalov North Ossetia – Alania Khetag Tsabolov North Ossetia – Alania Zaurbek Sidakov
Krasnodar Krai Timur Bizhoev
79 kg
details
Dagestan Akhmed Usmanov Bryansk Oblast Gadzhimurad Alikhmaev Dagestan Gadzhi Nabiev
Dagestan Amanula Gadzhimagomedov
86 kg
details
Dagestan Dauren Kurugliev Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug Artur Naifonov Dagestan Magomed Ramazanov
Dagestan Arsen-Ali Musalaliev
92 kg
details
Chechnya Alikhan Zhabrailov Dagestan Magomed Kurbanov North Ossetia – Alania Batyrbek Tsakulov
Kabardino-Balkaria Anzor Urishev
97 kg
details
Dagestan Abdulrashid Sadulaev North Ossetia – Alania Aslanbek Sotiev North Ossetia – Alania Aslanbek Gazzaev
Krasnoyarsk Krai Erick Dzhioev
125 kg
details
North Ossetia – Alania Alan Khugaev Dagestan Shamil Sharipov Leningrad Oblast Anzor Khizriev
North Ossetia – Alania Vitaly Goloev

3 minutes ago, 77again said:

Sidakov 3rd at 74kg. Tough tournament!

One could make the argument, particularly in certain weight classes, that winning gold at Russian Nationals is more difficult than winning world gold.

Ghadzi DNP at 86.  I know last year he was supposedly dropping from 79 to 74 year before to test the waters.  He put more (proverbial) weight on Olympics 2020 than worlds 2019.  I know he ended up getting hurt, though.

I didn't watch any matches, so I am unsure if he was just plain too small or what. 

Is this indicative that 74 is too difficult a cut for him or what?  He could have gone 79 again, surely?

Perhaps he wanted to see if 86 was within capable reach before deciding for Olympics, since 2020 Worlds is rather a crapshoot?

Edited by nhs67
Added proverbial

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Ghadzi DNP at 86.  I know last year he was supposedly dropping from 79 to 74 year before to test the waters.  He put more (proverbial) weight on Olympics 2020 than worlds 2019.  I know he ended up getting hurt, though.

I didn't watch any matches, so I am unsure if he was just plain too small or what. 

Is this indicative that 74 is too difficult a cut for him or what?  He could have gone 79 again, surely?

Perhaps he wanted to see if 86 was within capable reach before deciding for Olympics, since 2020 Worlds is rather a crapshoot?

Gadzhi looked like a decent sized 86...maybe a little small but definitely too big for 74. In the quarters he lost to Arsen-Ali Musaliev in a very close 4-1 match. If I'm remembering that match correctly, Gadzhi was winning 1-1 and gave up a late step-out to go down 2-1. He ended up going for a head pinch at the end and failed, giving up another 2. Musalaliev would go on to take bronze at 86. 

Also, I know I posted this in another thread, but here's a link to complete bracket results for every weight.

24 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Gadzhi looked like a decent sized 86...maybe a little small but definitely too big for 74. In the quarters he lost to Arsen-Ali Musaliev in a very close 4-1 match. If I'm remembering that match correctly, Gadzhi was winning 1-1 and gave up a late step-out to go down 2-1. He ended up going for a head pinch at the end and failed, giving up another 2. Musalaliev would go on to take bronze at 86. 

Also, I know I posted this in another thread, but here's a link to complete bracket results for every weight.

I had seen the brackets, appreciate that, btw.

Curious when you'll be releasing your next iteration of rankings?

Also good to know he seemed good sized.  I thought a suck down to 74 was a bit much and my opinion was that his injury may have been preventable had he not been sucking down.  That is usually the case, anyways.

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I had seen the brackets, appreciate that, btw.

Curious when you'll be releasing your next iteration of rankings?

Also good to know he seemed good sized.  I thought a suck down to 74 was a bit much and my opinion was that his injury may have been preventable had he not been sucking down.  That is usually the case, anyways.

Yeah I'll have them out by the end of the week. There's some major shake-ups from Russian Nationals that will be fun to sort out

1 minute ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Yeah I'll have them out by the end of the week. There's some major shake-ups from Russian Nationals that will be fun to sort out

Will you be factoring the recent 'Pro' events?  Such as Bo beating Dieringer?  I don't necessarily think the Massa victory over Bekzod should earn him a ranking, however it should effect Bekzod's ranking at least, yes?  (I think Massa is right up there... all those CKWC guys are making strides right now, including 'Ringer-my opinion)

Also, I know off-topic, but will you be releasing a domestic one?  It'd be nice to see how our top 10 have fared when heading overseas?

Just a request, really.  I'd love to see who you see as our top 10 and how their results translate over the last two/three seasons.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Also, I know off-topic, but will you be releasing a domestic one?  It'd be nice to see how our top 10 have fared when heading overseas?

Just a request, really.  I'd love to see who you see as our top 10 and how their results translate over the last two/three seasons.

That's not in my plans right now...maybe in the future. 

Currently I'm working on expanding the database with help from a web developer/software engineer. We'll have all match results from all of the international tournaments.  So rather than just a database for the top 20, it'll be for every men's freestyle wrestler (beginning in 2018). After that, I'll expand rankings to non-olympic weights.

And I am factoring in the Pro-events...Massa stays outside of the top 20, but man he's really close to top 20... Bekzod drops a few spots but stays in because of his overall resume.

6 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Currently I'm working on expanding the database with help from a web developer/software engineer.

That has to be a huge undertaking.  Cheers and best of luck.  Looking forward to the site.

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Here's a question: how good are the Russians, really? Looks like Dagestan is doing the heavy lifting, and the people in Dagestan are not "Russians". 

https://twitter.com/sikom_d/status/1317885396018204672

This doesn’t directly answer your question but I did this research a couple months ago and found it interesting. The USSR had some talent! It’d be a whole separate project to go through each medalist and find his specific ethnicity.

4 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

This doesn’t directly answer your question but I did this research a couple months ago and found it interesting. The USSR had some talent! It’d be a whole separate project to go through each medalist and find his specific ethnicity.

And doesn't Dagestan have a ton of different ethnicities?

6 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

There are also more than a handful "Russian" wrestlers who have won for non-ex-Soviet countries as well. Batirov for Bahrain and Shahin for Turkey come to mind

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

And doesn't Dagestan have a ton of different ethnicities?

According to Wikipedia, yeah. But 80+% are Muslims, so that tells me there probably aren't that many Russians there (ethnic Russians tend to be Orthodox if religious). 

Also Ossetia weren't slouches either, per the chart above. It looks to me like non-Russian "Russians" are the guys dominating wrestling over there. Is Dagestan the Pennsylvania of Russia, or something?