Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Is your team likely better or worse this year?

The Gophers lose multiple AA Sanders at 125 and S. Yohn at 197. The big news for the Gophers is David Thorn dropping to 125 after spending a year behind Chris Dardanes at 133. Scott Schiller takes over for S. Yohn and has been very successful in the off season. With the maturity of the young Gopher squad and those 2 solid replacements for the outgoing Gopher seniors, I'm going to say the Gophers will be better.

^^^This past season Penn State and Cornell were the two big dogs out of the east at the NCAA Tournament, Penn State winning the title with 143.0 points and the Big Red hammering out 102.5 points for fourth place. I think both PSU and Cornell will be about as strong this coming season - little change, PSU loaded and Cornell quite strong.

Ugh!!! At first glance it would be hard to say worse than last year. However, MSU loses its 3 most consistent wrestlers from last year in Jones, Jacobs, Hinton.

125: Recruited decent and brought in a solid JC transfer. Olanowski was ok, not sure if they gain or lose much here.

133: Looks to be as brutal as it was last year.

141: See 133.

149: Quite possibly the two best wrestlers on the team are both here. Wildmo showed alot of potential and I would like to see someone continue to develop at MSU since it hasn't seemed to happen in quite a while. Osterman is solid and I would assume the loser here is the guy at 157.

157: No matter who is here they are not matching Jones from last year.

165: Cheza is back for a 6th year due to a medical hardship.

174: Kaczanowksi should fill in admirably for Jacobs but still a step down.

184: Rizqallah: see 174 except insert Hinton for Jacobs.

197: McDiarmid took over for Dickenson and I couldn't get any info on if Dickenson has any chance at coming back next year via Medical Redshirt. Either way, its one weight where they should actually be solid.

285: Three decent heavyweights where I kept expecting McLure to pop out and take over. Unless one jumps ahead of the rest they have a serviceable heavyweight but not much more.

I hate to say it but unless Wildmo continued to progress throughout his redshirt year an AA at any weight would be a surprise.

125, 149, 197 and HWT have a chance to be better but Overall the team is going to have a brutal time in the B1G.

With as bad as things have become I am not as "in the know" as I used to be. I hope there is a surprise or 2 sitting out there that I am not aware of because I really want to be optimstic and cheer but as a realist it gets tougher each year.

I think the general Consensus is that Iowa will be better. I think Marions departure will be a big hole to fill even with Burak coming in at 97 and hopefully some sort of improvement at 49.

I dont expect Evans to have NCAA struggles is year, so that improvement will help. If Gambrall committs all year to 84 I think he will without question be better.

Iowa will be better, but not dramatically.

Iowa could have a worse overall team, losing Marion, but they could easily outdo their performance at Nationals. They need high finishes at 125, 133, and 157. Pretty high finishes at 165, 174, 184, 197, and HWT. This is extremely possible and while I don't know if it would be enough to win the team title, it would almost certainly mean more points than last year. I have high hopes for the Hawkeyes this year and I'm not about to just hand PSU the team title.

Ugh!!! At first glance it would be hard to say worse than last year. However, MSU loses its 4 most consistent wrestlers from last year in Jones, Jacobs, Hinton and Cheza.

125: Recruited decent and brought in a solid JC transfer. Olanowski was ok, not sure if they gain or lose much here.

149: Quite possibly the two best wrestlers on the team are both here. Wildmo showed alot of potential and I would like to see someone continue to develop at MSU since it hasn't seemed to happen in quite a while. Osterman is solid and I would assume the loser here is the guy at 157.

165: Losing Cheza, Lamson has looked ok but not matching Cheza this year

197: McDiarmid took over for Dickenson and I couldn't get any info on if Dickenson has any chance at coming back next year via Medical Redshirt. Either way, its one weight where they should actually be solid.

285: Three decent heavyweights where I kept expecting McLure to pop out and take over. Unless one jumps ahead of the rest they have a serviceable heavyweight but not much more.

I hate to say it but unless Wildmo continued to progress throughout his redshirt year an AA at any weight would be a surprise.

125, 149, 197 and HWT have a chance to be better but Overall the team is going to have a brutal time in the B1G.

With as bad as things have become I am not as "in the know" as I used to be. I hope there is a surprise or 2 sitting out there that I am not aware of because I really want to be optimstic and cheer but as a realist it gets tougher each year.

I thought Intermat posted a few weeks ago that Cheza got one more year for medical?

*Edit: http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/10489

I think the general Consensus is that Iowa will be better. I think Marions departure will be a big hole to fill even with Burak coming in at 97 and hopefully some sort of improvement at 49.

I dont expect Evans to have NCAA struggles is year, so that improvement will help. If Gambrall committs all year to 84 I think he will without question be better.

Iowa will be better, but not dramatically.

I think Iowa will stay about the same. The big question is if Brands is going to mishandle Evans as badly as J has screwed up Cody Yohn.

Ugh!!! At first glance it would be hard to say worse than last year. However, MSU loses its 4 most consistent wrestlers from last year in Jones, Jacobs, Hinton and Cheza.

165: Losing Cheza, Lamson has looked ok but not matching Cheza this year

I thought Intermat posted a few weeks ago that Cheza got one more year for medical?

*Edit: [url=http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/10489

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/10489[/quote[/url]]

Thank you, sir! Hope he does well. Just further proof that I am no longer following them enough to know what's going on in the off season. I see a few of the guys that are still close to the program here and there and I don't ask for info in the offseason like I used to. I can't take hearing them try to twist something positive out of what has been happening.

You have to think Illinois will be better:

125 - Jesse Delgado - returning AA

133 - Zane Richards or BJ Futrell - I've heard Futrell might be moving up. Not sure if the true frosh is ready for this spot or if it will go to a veteran like Arlis.

141 - BJ Futrell or Darryl Thomas - returning AA or Thomas, the returning starter from last season

149 - Darryl Thomas or Caleb Ervin - Thomas wrestled well toward the end of last year. I've heard good things about Ervin, a great find out of Kentucky.

157 - Jackson Morse - returning starter. Had a brutually tough weight in conference last year and DNQ for Nationals. Should have a better shot at making some noise this season.

165 - Conrad Polz - returning AA - he's a hammer when he's healthy. Hopefully a push toward the top this season

174 - Jordan Blanton - returning 2x AA - should be in the mix this year for the top of the podium

184 - Tony Dalago - returning Top 12 - breakout season last year and only improving. Should be very solid this year and contend for AA honors

197 - Mario Gonzalez - returning Top 12 - most improved guy over his first two years on the team. Can't wait to see him wrestle this season. Guy is a ball of fire and fun to watch.

285 - Pat Walker - returning starter - this weight has been a struggle for Illinois but Walker has had a few seasons under his belt now.

Got 4 returning AA's and 2 Top 12 finishers. Not quite ready for a National Championship run it doesn't seem but a Top 5 finish is not out of the question, and probably is in the cross-hairs.

Sadly I don't think ASU is going to be doing any better this year. :( Their 133 who was an NQ injured himself in the offseason and may not wrestle this year at all. They didn't land any new starters and the guys who did qualify last year sadly will be very much the same as last year. Their only potential AA, Levi Cooper, is in one of the deepest weight classes too. Other than him they've had bad luck, with defections (to GCU), injuries and recruits who aren't panning out. I would say that having 4-5 NQs would be optimistic.

On the other hand my other hometown team, D-II Grand Canyon seems pretty loaded. They return 3 AA's, and have a solid core and new recruits/transfers to fill any holes their lineup had. Their big loss is national champ Victor Carazo who graduated. They also added Tyrell Fortune at 285 and ASU transfer Kory DeBerry who was a HS AA.

You have to think Illinois will be better:

125 - Jesse Delgado - returning AA

133 - Zane Richards or BJ Futrell - I've heard Futrell might be moving up. Not sure if the true frosh is ready for this spot or if it will go to a veteran like Arlis.

141 - BJ Futrell or Darryl Thomas - returning AA or Thomas, the returning starter from last season

149 - Darryl Thomas or Caleb Ervin - Thomas wrestled well toward the end of last year. I've heard good things about Ervin, a great find out of Kentucky.

157 - Jackson Morse - returning starter. Had a brutually tough weight in conference last year and DNQ for Nationals. Should have a better shot at making some noise this season.

165 - Conrad Polz - returning AA - he's a hammer when he's healthy. Hopefully a push toward the top this season

174 - Jordan Blanton - returning 2x AA - should be in the mix this year for the top of the podium

184 - Tony Dalago - returning Top 12 - breakout season last year and only improving. Should be very solid this year and contend for AA honors

197 - Mario Gonzalez - returning Top 12 - most improved guy over his first two years on the team. Can't wait to see him wrestle this season. Guy is a ball of fire and fun to watch.

285 - Pat Walker - returning starter - this weight has been a struggle for Illinois but Walker has had a few seasons under his belt now.

Got 4 returning AA's and 2 Top 12 finishers. Not quite ready for a National Championship run it doesn't seem but a Top 5 finish is not out of the question, and probably is in the cross-hairs.

This lineup looks solid. I would like to see the 33 Richards 41 Futrell play out.

As young as Ohio State is, and with all that poer returning, how can they NOT be better? I dont follow them closely but took an interest last year because of how young they were...

Nick Heflin - soph AA and then three freshmen Hunter and Logan Stieber and Cam Tessari) AAs returning as well. Good group to build higher expectations around this year.

OSU should do very well. Obviously Logan Steiber. He scores pin points too. Add Nikko Triggas back at the lowest weight and there is another pinner and AA. Hunter, with more muscle should do very well again, and could be a threat to any NCAA title considering his match against K Russell last season. Cam Tessari is a stud that needs a little more strength but will be tough to handle. Not sure if Chris Phillips will be on team or not, but if he is lookout he is a horse. Andrew Camp should be AA this year, as well as Heflin. A few more points elsewhere in the lineup and there is another top 5...probably another year away from winning the title though. Josh Demas, Magrum, and the incoming fresh could help as well. Best shot for freshman is either the HWT from Wadsworth or Mark Martin from St Eds.

Central Michigan will be BETTER this year:

125 - Joe Roth: MAC Champ, 1-2 record at NCAA's

133 - Scotti Sentes: returning after a redshirt. 2x All-American, 2x MAC champion

141- Nick Hodgkins: 22-6 record competing in open tournaments as a redshirt at 149.

149 - Donnie Corby: 2x NCAA qualifier. MAC champ at 157 in '12. Won 2 matches at NCAA's in '11 at 149.

157 - Lucas Smith: 32-8 record in open tournaments while redshirting.

165 - Mike Ottinger: MAC champion and NCAA qualifier as true freshman.

174 - Eric Cubberly or Craig Kelliher

184 - Ben Bennett: 3x All-American and 3x MAC champion. Looking to become school's 1st 4x AA

197 - Jackson Lewis or Kelliher

285 - Jarod Trice: 2x All-American, placed 4th at Olympic Trials, and 2011 Midlands champion.

Sadly I don't think ASU is going to be doing any better this year. :( Their 133 who was an NQ injured himself in the offseason and may not wrestle this year at all. They didn't land any new starters and the guys who did qualify last year sadly will be very much the same as last year. Their only potential AA, Levi Cooper, is in one of the deepest weight classes too. Other than him they've had bad luck, with defections (to GCU), injuries and recruits who aren't panning out. I would say that having 4-5 NQs would be optimistic.

On the other hand my other hometown team, D-II Grand Canyon seems pretty loaded. They return 3 AA's, and have a solid core and new recruits/transfers to fill any holes their lineup had. Their big loss is national champ Victor Carazo who graduated. They also added Tyrell Fortune at 285 and ASU transfer Kory DeBerry who was a HS AA.

Hopefully 3rd time is a charm for Forturne...he signed with 2 OSU's before going to Grand Canyon

Central Michigan will be BETTER this year:

125 - Joe Roth: MAC Champ, 1-2 record at NCAA's

133 - Scotti Sentes: returning after a redshirt. 2x All-American, 2x MAC champion

141- Nick Hodgkins: 22-6 record competing in open tournaments as a redshirt at 149.

149 - Donnie Corby: 2x NCAA qualifier. MAC champ at 157 in '12. Won 2 matches at NCAA's in '11 at 149.

157 - Lucas Smith: 32-8 record in open tournaments while redshirting.

165 - Mike Ottinger: MAC champion and NCAA qualifier as true freshman.

174 - Eric Cubberly or Craig Kelliher

184 - Ben Bennett: 3x All-American and 3x MAC champion. Looking to become school's 1st 4x AA

197 - Jackson Lewis or Kelliher

285 - Jarod Trice: 2x All-American, placed 4th at Olympic Trials, and 2011 Midlands champion.

Thank you for doing CMU's. I was starting to make an attempt at typing up theirs earlier but didn't get a chance to finish it. lol

I don't have their future outlooks, but I like it when teams like Central Michigan, Boise St., Cal St. San L....wherever the hell Darrell Vasquez went, etc. are good teams and put studs on the mat. I hope these teams continue to recruit and stay solid in the upcoming years. Won't be easy with Iowa, Penn St., Ohio St., Minnesota, and Oklahoma St. locked in an arms race. With several other schools the likes of Oklahoma, Cornell, Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri staying or coming on strong. Should mention Oregon St. as well. As an Iowa fan I can honestly say I'm a fan of parity.