Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Is your team likely better or worse this year?

A few comments about Ohio State:

125: Triggas may or may not be an upgrade over DiJulius (assuming he beats him out). Triggas did place once but was always inconsistent. I hope an older, hungrier Triggas will wrestle with more urgency.

141: Hunter is the most overlooked guy in the country and had what I consider to be the best all around season of any true frosh. He could be a finalist regardless of who is at the weight.

149: Cam Tessari had a brilliant finish to a solid true frosh season but 149 is a wide open weight with a crowd of capable wrestlers. He could have a better season yet struggle to place again at nationals...or he could be a finalist.

157/165: Demas and Garcia could swap weights which might benefit both.

184: Magrum suffered some tough injuries last season and will get pushed hard by Courts. If Courts beats him out, he'll be an AA contender but has to show he can stay healthy.

197: Camp seems like the guy that could turn it up this year and push for a top five placement.

As headshuck already pointed out the Gophers should be better. Lose a 4x and 3x AA in Sanders and Yohn, but replacements Thorn and Schiller are already big time performers. They won't be favored to win an individual NCAA tournament, but in a dual meet I think they will be tough to beat.

I know we are talking about all the big dawgs, but let me review one of Pa's state schools:

Bloomsburg:

Boylen: should improve

Wilcox: same

141: rappo with a year under his belt and also the addition of simon kitsis should be a decent weight.

149: Busler or Roosa: Roosa has battled injuries but is still tough and Busler has started to show a little bit of the promise he had coming out of high school.

157 : Hickman, hopefully he finally AA's since it is his last hurrah.

165: Veltre(back from redshirt and is tough), Smith and Hartnett are also tough.

174: Dessino back after two ncaa appearances. still hasn't had too many big wins.

184: transfer petrovski or shirey

197: Richard Perry is an outside pick for AA. He is very athletic and wrestles everyone close.

hvy: Also has had a good offseason by qualifiying for the olympic trials.

Should be better. This team, however, is not young so Stutzman needs to get something done this year or next because their is not alot of young kids.

I think Oklahoma State will be much better this year. dieringer will start and be a factor at 157, Caldwell will be a title challenger at 165, I hope "Z" stays healthy at HVY. He will be a title threat but more importantly, he is an exciting wrestler that the fans will enjoy. Rosholt is sold at 197 and Perry will be a threat at 174. JO will go to 141 and be a threat to win. The question marks are starters that need to step up and make a name for themselves (Morrison, Kindig, etc). 133 is a questionmark. The Cowboys will need 6 AA's to threaten Penn State. They actually may have a better dual team. This could be a fantastic year for wrestling fans. The NCAA's will be great. With a few upsets, Iowa, Oklahoma state, Minnesota could be right there with Penn State.

Already somewhat covered in the Adam Coon thread, but my thoughts on Michigan:

125: Boyle should come back better and stronger, pushed by Youtsey.

133: Don't know how Bruno would do this early against collegiate competition. If redshirt freshman Camryn Jackson could make it down here that would give Rossi time to develop.

141: The big question is whether Grajales wants it bad enough to move down. That's what the team would like him to do, and he certainly has the talent to be one of the best in this class. Steve Dutton will be game to step in if that doesn't happen.

149: If not Grajales, Mike Hillock or Dutton would be the likely starter. Hillock, although listed as a 141 pounder, has competed mostly at 149 pounds during his three years, keeping busy in open tournaments.

157: After his National freestyle title, you'd have to favor Salazar, although don't forget that he was beaten out the previous two seasons by Justin Zeerip, who had a sophomore slump last season.

165: This is where they'd like to insert Massa, assuming Yates moves up.

174: Yates or Thomas; I'd go with experience.

184: Can Hunter Collins finally pull it all together in his final year? I would hope he would, and give Thomas the opportunity to redshirt and reload the following year.

197: Huntley.

HWT: Ben Apland should do well in his final season, and has Justin Dozier to back him up.

So a lot of question marks about who will go where, a lot riding on athletes making weight, and whether some true freshman are ready to be thrown to the wolves. Personally I think Massa is the only one you can say would definitely be able to contend for AA his first season.

And to answer the question - is this team likely better or worse this year? There's more raw talent around this year, but it's mostly untested, so too early to tell right now.

All the changes made over the last 18 months appear to be positive, but the 2011-12 team was basically the same as the 2010-11 one, and they both finished pretty much the same despite the coaching changes. And of this year's recruiting class, the only athlete who was really significantly swayed to come to A2 by these changes was Massa. Donny and Sean are already giving him initiation by fire - it will be good to see where he's at come November.

Central Michigan will be BETTER this year:

125 - Joe Roth: MAC Champ, 1-2 record at NCAA's

133 - Scotti Sentes: returning after a redshirt. 2x All-American, 2x MAC champion

141- Nick Hodgkins: 22-6 record competing in open tournaments as a redshirt at 149.

149 - Donnie Corby: 2x NCAA qualifier. MAC champ at 157 in '12. Won 2 matches at NCAA's in '11 at 149.

157 - Lucas Smith: 32-8 record in open tournaments while redshirting.

165 - Mike Ottinger: MAC champion and NCAA qualifier as true freshman.

174 - Eric Cubberly or Craig Kelliher

184 - Ben Bennett: 3x All-American and 3x MAC champion. Looking to become school's 1st 4x AA

197 - Jackson Lewis or Kelliher

285 - Jarod Trice: 2x All-American, placed 4th at Olympic Trials, and 2011 Midlands champion.

So you believe up-and-comer Zach Horan will redshirt rather than wrestling "up" to 141? I'm excited about the Chippewa team and individual goals this year. It has the potential of being the best ever season for CMU wrestling.

Mizzou will definitely be better. IMHO the best team they have had since their 3rd place finish a few years ago

125-Waters- 2x NQer and probably top 3 this year

133-McCormick- 2x NQer and probable AA this year

141- Up for grabs

149-Kyle Bradley- 2x NQer, good shot to be in the hunt for AA

157-Houdashelt- Only a sophomore and won 2 matches last year at the NCAA. Will only be tougher with a year under his belt

165-Toal- 2x NQer, should be a round of 12 possible AA

174-Porter or Neely- Don't think either will AA but will qualify for NCAA's and win a match or two

184-Larson- 2x NQer and round of 12 last year. If he wrestles like last year, should AA and go out with a bang as a senior

197-Haynes-3x NQer and should be a top 5 AA, but has had poor showings and inconsistency throughout the season. Hopefully wrestles to his potential, has beaten tough opponents in his career (tech falled Wilps)

HWT- Dom Bradley- Returning after Oly RS, before that was a 3rd place finisher. He will be one of the favorites to win along with Z and Nelson.

Could be a big year for MU if they wrestle to their potential, will have to wait and see

Oklahoma should be vastly improved

125 Jared Patterson AA'd two years ago, He will be a threat to AA this year

133 Cody Brewer was a bluechip recruit, who redshirted as a freshman. He'll be decent enough to make round of 12 by the NCAA

141 Kendric Maple loses two times both in overtime to forner NCAA finalists. No one including Jordan Oliver is beating him this year.

149 Nick Lester was an AA last year as a redshirt sophomore. Not the most imposing specimen, but wrestles smare. Should AA again

157 This will be a close ranking match between Matt Lester and Justin DeAngelis who is a redshirt sopomore moving up from 149, Justin's walking around weight is 170.

165 Bubby Graham was solid last year, will be again this year

174 Andrew Howe, I don't see anyone beating him, he is just too tough

184 Travis Ruff great addition to the lineup, possible AA

197 There will be a true freshman who will take some lumps, but Mark Cody recruited heavily at this weight

285 Keldric Hall moved up from 197, weighs around 240. He is very athletic and strong, you don't have to be in as good as shape at 285. Mark Cody has an excellent record coaching upper weights. he personally works out with him regularly, had a black eye to show for it this spring. Keldric is a very possible AA.

I think beating OSU twice, and placing in top 5 at the NCAA is quite possible.

Reading through this thread already has me pumped for the National Duals, let alone the NCAA Tournament.

Teams like Illinois and CMU can ruin the day of the Minnesota's and PSU's of the world.

I love the years that follow the Olympics.

Oklahoma should be vastly improved

125 Jared Patterson AA'd two years ago, He will be a threat to AA this year

133 Cody Brewer was a bluechip recruit, who redshirted as a freshman. He'll be decent enough to make round of 12 by the NCAA

141 Kendric Maple loses two times both in overtime to forner NCAA finalists. No one including Jordan Oliver is beating him this year.

149 Nick Lester was an AA last year as a redshirt sophomore. Not the most imposing specimen, but wrestles smare. Should AA again

157 This will be a close ranking match between Matt Lester and Justin DeAngelis who is a redshirt sopomore moving up from 149, Justin's walking around weight is 170.

165 Bubby Graham was solid last year, will be again this year

174 Andrew Howe, I don't see anyone beating him, he is just too tough

184 Travis Ruff great addition to the lineup, possible AA

197 There will be a true freshman who will take some lumps, but Mark Cody recruited heavily at this weight

285 Keldric Hall moved up from 197, weighs around 240. He is very athletic and strong, you don't have to be in as good as shape at 285. Mark Cody has an excellent record coaching upper weights. he personally works out with him regularly, had a black eye to show for it this spring. Keldric is a very possible AA.

I think beating OSU twice, and placing in top 5 at the NCAA is quite possible.

I guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together with OK already having such a solid lineup + Howe and Rutt. That team is legit. Unfortunately for Maple and Oliver, Hunter Stieber is going to take the title this year. My sources in Ohio tell me its going to be a first period technical pin fall.

So let me get this straight 141 will have Hunter Steiber, Kendric Maple, Jordan Oliver, Michael Mangrum, maybe Destin McCauley, Dardanes......who else. That is stacked right there already.

I'm a Ohio dude and think Hunter has a great shot at this for sure BUT that will be a gauntlet for sure.

So let me get this straight 141 will have Hunter Steiber, Kendric Maple, Jordan Oliver, Michael Mangrum, maybe Destin McCauley, Dardanes......who else. That is stacked right there already.

I'm a Ohio dude and think Hunter has a great shot at this for sure BUT that will be a gauntlet for sure.

Devin Carter will be right in there as well. Do we know what class Sentes plans on competing?

141 looks to be a super tought weight. Maple does have Michael Lightner and Jared Frayer as ocaches and workout partners. Maple got a lot of work with some guys on the freestyle ladder this summer. He has similar length as Hunter, but is quicker.

141 looks to be a super tought weight. Maple does have Michael Lightner and Jared Frayer as ocaches and workout partners. Maple got a lot of work with some guys on the freestyle ladder this summer. He has similar length as Hunter, but is quicker.

He wins unless he takes his foot off the gas in pressure situations.

157-Houdashelt- Only a sophomore and won 2 matches last year at the NCAA. Will only be tougher with a year under his belt

Not to be picking nits but I think Houdashelt was 0-2 at NCAA last year, which was a bit of a surprise. Loss to St. John, loss to Corey Mock. I agree he will be better after a year of experience.

Devin Carter will be right in there as well. Do we know what class Sentes plans on competing?

I have no inside information but I could totally see him at 141 this year. I think he would fare better at Ncaa's at 133 but he could certainly AA at 141 as well.

Already somewhat covered in the Adam Coon thread, but my thoughts on Michigan:

125: Boyle should come back better and stronger, pushed by Youtsey.

133: Don't know how Bruno would do this early against collegiate competition. If redshirt freshman Camryn Jackson could make it down here that would give Rossi time to develop.

141: The big question is whether Grajales wants it bad enough to move down. That's what the team would like him to do, and he certainly has the talent to be one of the best in this class. Steve Dutton will be game to step in if that doesn't happen.

149: If not Grajales, Mike Hillock or Dutton would be the likely starter. Hillock, although listed as a 141 pounder, has competed mostly at 149 pounds during his three years, keeping busy in open tournaments.

157: After his National freestyle title, you'd have to favor Salazar, although don't forget that he was beaten out the previous two seasons by Justin Zeerip, who had a sophomore slump last season.

165: This is where they'd like to insert Massa, assuming Yates moves up.

174: Yates or Thomas; I'd go with experience.

184: Can Hunter Collins finally pull it all together in his final year? I would hope he would, and give Thomas the opportunity to redshirt and reload the following year.

197: Huntley.

HWT: Ben Apland should do well in his final season, and has Justin Dozier to back him up.

So a lot of question marks about who will go where, a lot riding on athletes making weight, and whether some true freshman are ready to be thrown to the wolves. Personally I think Massa is the only one you can say would definitely be able to contend for AA his first season.

And to answer the question - is this team likely better or worse this year? There's more raw talent around this year, but it's mostly untested, so too early to tell right now.

All the changes made over the last 18 months appear to be positive, but the 2011-12 team was basically the same as the 2010-11 one, and they both finished pretty much the same despite the coaching changes. And of this year's recruiting class, the only athlete who was really significantly swayed to come to A2 by these changes was Massa. Donny and Sean are already giving him initiation by fire - it will be good to see where he's at come November.

I'm not sure it makes sense to start Massa right out of the gate. Michigan has a ton of talent coming in; why not let him sit a year and have him in the lineup later when the team is competing for some hardware?