Mat Awareness

Interview with Trent Hillger

15 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

He needs to go on a Mormon mission, redshirt, and let them graduate. That’s the only way he’ll have a chance.

I think as a 2X AA he has a chance.  I'm not saying he will be favored anytime soon, but I think he has the potential to beat both these guys.

21 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I wouldn't disagree hammerlock.

Don't forget that in his matches with Parris and Gable they were both freestyle. I'm not saying he would have won if they were folkstyle, but his best position in my opinion is top.

I did a clinic with him last year (I was the dummy), and he showed stuff on top. The amount of pressure he was able to put on me with legs in made it literally feel like there was an F150 on top of me.

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

The one thing he seems to lack right now is lateral movement.  He is too flatfooted or stiff when he goes up against Parris and Steveson right now.  Not sure that can be taught, unfortunately.

Seems like it can be taught. Isn't that what the Iowa teams of the 80's had to do? 

18 hours ago, Le duke said:

The new kid at Penn State is going to be better than all of them. 

I don't know about that.  Steveson is REALLY good.  There have been some VERY good 285's the past 30 years and I don't know that there has been one better than Gable.  Two 4-3 losses to a 12th year Sophomore?(Cassar), as a True Freshman, may very well be his only blemishes for his DI career.

Kerkvliet looks very good.  However, he has a LOT to do before I would even consider putting him above Gable.  Hell, I would like to see him beat Parris before even comparing him to Gable.  Remember, Gable controlled Parris rather easily and quite efficiently.

You know, this was a nice topic about a good wrestler from an average wresting school.  I appreciate the insight about what he needs to do, and even how tough it will be.   So why do we have to go away from it and talk about how great PSU is?  This is a Hillger, Wisconsin, topic so give the guy this at least.

Edited by teach

32 minutes ago, teach said:

You know, this was a nice topic about a good wrestler from an average wresting school.  I appreciate the insight about what he needs to do, and even how tough it will be.   So why do we have to go away from it and talk about how great PSU is?  This is a Hilger, Wisconsin, topic so give the guy this at least.

I agree with yor overall point.  But average team?  Top 20 is average now?

Discussing his opposition is out of the question now?  It is extremely relevant.  Penn State has no less than three eligible gents who would give him a run or beat him.  How is bringing that up a bad thing?

If I bring it up like this:

How does he do against Seth Nevills, DGK, or Cassar in a folkstyle match?  Would it matter dual or tournament format?

1 hour ago, teach said:

You know, this was a nice topic about a good wrestler from an average wresting school.  I appreciate the insight about what he needs to do, and even how tough it will be.   So why do we have to go away from it and talk about how great PSU is?  This is a Hilger, Wisconsin, topic so give the guy this at least.

I actually made it about how great the "kid" from Minnesota is..........Also, if you want to give Trent props, you may want to spell his last name correctly! ;)

8 hours ago, teach said:

Whatever, the point is made.   When you guys don't like something you look for spelling and grammar.  That just tells me the person making the point is correct.

I actually liked what you said. I was simply saying that it is best to actually spell someone’s name correctly when pushing for their being respected.   Also, did you miss the winking face?

On 10/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, teach said:

Well, better than average?  I just didn't want to push it and miss the point.

Aren't there just under 74 DI wrestling schools?  I believe that puts them in, "top tier" territory, or TTT...