F*** them. 

LJB was right, they were never gonna go, so they formatted the US open as if it was an olympic year, and then threw out some nonsense about the US Open winners "likely" going so they would only be 98% lying.

Edited by hammerlockthree

3 questions.

How do we get a list of names of this "unanimous committee"?

How many of these same committee members supported sending HUNDREDS of US wrestlers to the recent nationals?

Can our top guys attend if they pay their own way or are they blocked by USAW?

At least Jimmy Carter signed his name to the 1980 debacle.

Seems to me this decision was well thought out, discussed among a large number of individuals coming from a variety of different angles, with a lot of information and different possible scenarios taken into account.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that whole committee getting fired or voted out thing.  There may be fans who don't like us not going, but good leadership in these things is taking in a lot of information and being able to make decisions that some people are not going to like.  

I don't see any hypocrisy or conspiracy here.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Seems to me this decision was well thought out, discussed among a large number of individuals coming from a variety of different angles, with a lot of information and different possible scenarios taken into account.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that whole committee getting fired or voted out thing.  There may be fans who don't like us not going, but good leadership in these things is taking in a lot of information and being able to make decisions that some people are not going to like.  

I don't see any hypocrisy or conspiracy here.

I have also seen a few top athletes on social media saying that athletes were involved in the decision making process as well.

Serbia currently has a ban on gatherings over 30 people right now so it's not like it's a sure thing that worlds will even be held (I would bet they aren't).

Lackluster nationals with Snyder the only real big name present--JMHO, but this decision was made a while ago and we the public are just now getting wind of it.

“The health and safety of U.S. athletes, coaches and staff is always the No. 1 concern for USA Wrestling."   Okay, fair enough, but was there there an outbreak of positive tests of athletes who took part in nationals that would explain hosting that potential super-spreader event but now deciding to not send a contingent to Worlds?

And although I don't think Serbia is very high on the list of infections (total- don't know about per capita)  they are in their third rise as is much of Europe. 

The USAW Committee includes Tom Price- former Trump Secy of Health. Not exactly a liberal.

Here's a Serbia travel advisory (basically it says don't go there)

https://rs.usembassy.gov/serbia-covid-19-information/

6 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Lackluster nationals with Snyder the only real big name present--JMHO, but this decision was made a while ago and we the public are just now getting wind of it.

“The health and safety of U.S. athletes, coaches and staff is always the No. 1 concern for USA Wrestling."   Okay, fair enough, but was there there an outbreak of positive tests of athletes who took part in nationals that would explain hosting that potential super-spreader event but now deciding to not send a contingent to Worlds?

Surely you can see the difference in hosting a domestic tournament where you have complete and total control of all protocols and processes vs sending a team half way across the world, to a place as mentioned has a ban on gatherings of 30 or more because they are currently surging, combined with delegations from 70ish other nations.

Its two completely different decisions with completely different factors at play. 

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Surely you can see the difference in hosting a domestic tournament where you have complete and total control of all protocols and processes vs sending a team half way across the world, to a place as mentioned has a ban on gatherings of 30 or more because they are currently surging, combined with delegations from 70ish other nations.

Its two completely different decisions with completely different factors at play. 

Of course I see the difference, which makes the decision to host nationals in a country where cases are surging even more nonsensical.  Completely inconsistent. If prudence, safety driven caution, and the health of athletes were of paramount importance nationals would not have been held.  And I still believe this decision was made long before it was announced and our best wrestlers were privy to that decision.

Edited by Coach_J

Just now, Coach_J said:

Of course I see the difference, which makes the decision to host nationals in a country where cases are surging even more nonsensical.  Completely inconsistent.  And I still believe this decision was made long before it was announced and our best wrestlers were privy to that decision.

Agree to disagree. I see it as two completely different scenarios and completely different decisions. Consistency doesn’t factor in in my opinion. 

Cases are going to continue surging around the world. Worlds isn’t going to happen, no matter what USA wrestling decided. 

I get that fans are mad, but we are in a pandemic and this was the only outcome possible. 

It sucks, but I’ve been saying since March this was the only possible outcome. 

They cancelled the Olympics, with billions of dollars in the line, and case counts will be far higher in December than over the summer. Flying in athletes and coaches from dozens of countries was never going to be allowed, especially for a financially inconsequential sport. 

I bet if UWW doesn’t cancel it, Serbia will. 

7 hours ago, 77again said:

3 questions.

How do we get a list of names of this "unanimous committee"?

How many of these same committee members supported sending HUNDREDS of US wrestlers to the recent nationals?

Can our top guys attend if they pay their own way or are they blocked by USAW3?

At least Jimmy Carter signed his name to the 1980 debacle.

1. No idea.

2. Less idea

3. No. They must be sanctioned by their local governing body to attend.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Of course I see the difference, which makes the decision to host nationals in a country where cases are surging even more nonsensical.  Completely inconsistent. If prudence, safety driven caution, and the health of athletes were of paramount importance nationals would not have been held.  And I still believe this decision was made long before it was announced and our best wrestlers were privy to that decision.

So, you are suggesting that the competition be held in a country in which the cases are not surging?  Say, New Zealand?  Do you think any such country (who would seem to have their act together wrt protecting their citizens) would allow a large influx of people from all over, including from countries in which the cases *are* surging (like Serbia)?   What country with a low case count would allow a contigent from the US to enter?

57 minutes ago, klehner said:

So, you are suggesting that the competition be held in a country in which the cases are not surging?  Say, New Zealand?  Do you think any such country (who would seem to have their act together wrt protecting their citizens) would allow a large influx of people from all over, including from countries in which the cases *are* surging (like Serbia)?   What country with a low case count would allow a contigent from the US to enter?

Let me spell out my point.  If the health of athletes was of paramount importance they would not have held a super-spreader event like nationals.  To host nationals and then come back and say Worlds is too big a risk is specious reasoning.

It has nothing to do with the health of the athletes... 

coach is right on the money here...

to think otherwise is naivete’

the moment they made nationals a 6 weight event the decision had already been made...

cash rules everything around me...

33 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Let me spell out my point.  If the health of athletes was of paramount importance they would not have held a super-spreader event like nationals.  To host nationals and then come back and say Worlds is too big a risk is specious reasoning.

Super spreader event like nationals ? I’m sorry but I haven’t heard of anyone involved that tested positive for COVID since nationals, is their any evidence that was “super spreader event? People love throwing around buzz words lol 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Super spreader event like nationals ? I’m sorry but I haven’t heard of anyone involved that tested positive for COVID since nationals, is their any evidence that was “super spreader event? People love throwing around buzz words lol 

That is not the point...

the boogie bug is just that...

if the health and safety of athletes was the real concern USAW would not have had nationals... or their National duals last week... or pre- season nationals next week... or any of the other tournaments they have hosted or sanctioned in the last couple of months or in the upcoming months...