Sign in to follow this  
dsnc471

3-4X champs going to become common?

Maybe not common. But more common? In this era of youth specialization in particular sports, you see freshmen entering college better prepared than ever to compete, so the disparity between freshmen (especially after a redshirt) and a senior is smaller than ever. Dake just won title #4, becoming only the third guy to do it, but in two years from now Stieber could be going for title #4 (and in all likelihood will be favored to do it). The question is not if there will be another 4Xer, but when. Although the follow up question then, is how long will it take for someone to replicate what Cael did? And if you look at 3X champs, there are a few guys over the next couple of years that could definitely end up with 3 titles. It's really quite amazing how talented many of the freshman that come into college are these days.

Ed Ruth: potential 2 total losses in college..... 3x champ

David Taylor: potential 3 total losses in college.... 2x champ

It's still crazy difficult to win it 4 times. Stieber can, but he is only halfway there. Anything can happen.

I think that 3-4x champs will become more common, 4x finalists for sure.

I don't see anybody replicating Cael though. Going undefeated means in four years never dropping a match due to injury, being sick, or just getting unlucky. Being a 4 time qualifier is hard. Being a 4x AA is a several orders of magnitude tougher. Being a 4x finalist is an order of manitudes tougher than that. A 4x champion is an order of magnitude tougher than that. And going undefeated for 4 years is yet another order of magnitude tougher than that.

I think it will be more common going forward - still an unbelievable achievement though.

Stieber is you next 4 timer (barring any injury - knock on wood). I don't see anyone coming up the threaten him - and Ramos is the only one who seems close right now - and Stieber has him #.

Ruth is a 3 timer - nobody is touching him.

Taylor a 2 timer and 4 time finalist (possibly a 1 timer - wow - and 4 time finalist if him and Howe meet - but I doubt they will)

As for what Cael did - I think this one stands un-replicated. Maybe someone soon will have an outside Chance ( pun intended :D )Like someone already said - there are too many variables. It is truly amazing that Cael never got sick/injured/had a bad day etc...

Does anyone remember when Troy Letters was a finalist as a freshman, won it as a sophmore. We all said he would never lose again, he was untouchable, he was going to be a 3x champ... then Hendricks came along and beat him (and Letters never made the finals again and didnt even All-American his senior year due to injury). Then Hendricks won two in a row, he was a sure thing to win his third. Remember his senior year.... nobody was going to come close, he 'had Perry's number' then he lost.

Or that Matt McDonough guy, if I told you 365 days ago he wouldnt be an All American this year what would you say?

Rule 1, page 1: dont count your chickens before they hatch. NOBODY is untouchable

For further evidence: see (Gable, Dan)

Taylor a 2 timer and 4 time finalist (possibly a 1 timer - wow - and 4 time finalist if him and Howe meet - but I doubt they will)

Off topic I know, but why won't they wrestle next year? What weight are they planning on going? Anyone know? thanks, and sorry, I am definately not in the loop on this.

Off topic I know, but why won't they wrestle next year? What weight are they planning on going? Anyone know? thanks, and sorry, I am definately not in the loop on this.

Taylor says he isn't cutting weight at 165 aand I doubt they'd want to bump Brown out of the lineup so I'd say Taylor goes 165 again.

As for Howe, I think the word on the street is that he'll go 174.

Taylor says he isn't cutting weight at 165 aand I doubt they'd want to bump Brown out of the lineup so I'd say Taylor goes 165 again.

As for Howe, I think the word on the street is that he'll go 174.

That is what I think. If Taylor can make 165 again how can you bump Brown out as a returning finalist at 174? Very doubtful he goes up. I actually hope they are both at 165 though - I want to see Taylor vs. Howe.