On 11/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, Relentless125 said:

The NLWC keeps picking matches that they are heavily favored in (like Cael does in season with Penn State). It's a confidence booster and a way for the athletes to get competition but from the fan perspective it isn't as appealing to me. For example, we all knew the outcome of Nolf v. Jenkins before it happened. I didn't want to see that even with the somewhat intriguing storyline behind it.

The HWC matches were much more appealing to me for this reason; even if the names aren't quite as big.

In fairness to Cael, PSU has been favored against every team they schedule the past many years (save 2015). Maybe a Big10 match here or there they were underdogs, but the Big10 sets that schedule. Every match scheduled by Cael PSU was favored and there were no possible duals they could have scheduled and not been favored. 

Edited by TBar1977

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

In fairness to Cael, PSU has been favored against every team they schedule the past many years (save 2015). Maybe a Big10 match here or there they were underdogs, but the Big10 sets that schedule. Every match scheduled by Cael PSU was favored and there were no possible duals they could have scheduled and not been favored. 

Hand check!

9 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I'm referring to how they've pretty much pulled out of all major tournaments prior to Big10s. They pulled out of national duals back when they used to perform poorly in that. They only had 4 competition dates prior to the Big10 season last year and still managed to lose to ASU. Fans could at least enjoy them competing against Oklahoma State at the Southern Scuffle before but now they won't even compete in that.

I understand why they do it. I just won't watch/pay for it.

10 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that the propaganda minister of PSU bothered to drop "In fairness to cael" before a post. 

2 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

I'm referring to how they've pretty much pulled out of all major tournaments prior to Big10s. They pulled out of national duals back when they used to perform poorly in that. They only had 4 competition dates prior to the Big10 season last year and still managed to lose to ASU. Fans could at least enjoy them competing against Oklahoma State at the Southern Scuffle before but now they won't even compete in that.

I understand why they do it. I just won't watch/pay for it.

Cael pulling out of natty duals had nothing to do with not competing if they were also not heavy favorites. They'd have won it most of those years. 

Leaving the Scuffle if my memory is correct was more about the timing on that year's schedule. Their schedule last could have included a couple more schools and then ..........exactly what? They lost to ASU last year and that proves .... what? That they lost? Ok. Not sure how that match is revealing of Cael's scheduling motivations. 

59 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Is Carter Starocci vs Chance Marsteller (3rd at 2019 NCAAs) another "softball"?

The people who make those claims about other matchups are making a faulty assumption. They assume that the person NLWC finds to complete the matchup is the first person they asked or the most desirable person. The reality is that most of these matchups are not necessarily NLWC's first choice. NLWC only controls one side of the matchup.

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The people who make those claims about other matchups are making a faulty assumption. They assume that the person NLWC finds to complete the matchup is the first person they asked or the most desirable person. The reality is that most of these matchups are not necessarily NLWC's first choice. NLWC only controls one side of the matchup.

JO tried to set up a match with Zain a couple weeks ago and he declined. That is always an exciting and competitive matchup.

Instead Zain is wrestling another retired athlete.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:55 AM, TBar1977 said:

I think tOSU was favored pretty heavily especially once Nolf went down in 2018.

Edited by Mokoma
Forgot once

4 hours ago, Le duke said:

Another softball, rabble rabble!

Why do you think that?

I took a look at Joe Lee's wrestlestat page. Last year he wrestled four NCAA qualifiers. He lost to the #4 (Whitlake 4-8) and #10 (Bullard 4-9) seeds and beat the #11 (Wentzel 10-3) seed. Now he is wrestling the #16 seed. Seems about right as a litmus test. I suppose ideally he would be wrestling a top 10, but if its a softball it will only be because he has improved or Hartman has regressed.

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I'm of the belief that Lee goes 157 and Berge goes 165 fwiw...

I think if he was going to wrestle 157 they would not have grey and red shirted him. My understanding of that process was to have him wait until Vincenzo Joseph graduated since they occupied the same weight.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why do you think that?

I took a look at Joe Lee's wrestlestat page. Last year he wrestled four NCAA qualifiers. He lost to the #4 (Whitlake 4-8) and #10 (Bullard 4-9) seeds and beat the #11 (Wentzel 10-3) seed. Now he is wrestling the #16 seed. Seems about right as a litmus test. I suppose ideally he would be wrestling a top 10, but if its a softball it will only be because he has improved or Hartman has regressed.

"Rabble rabble" is a South Park reference, mostly referring to an angry mob. It was an attempt at sarcasm. I was indicating that I think it's a good match, but others, who apparently think Cael serves up easy matches for his guys, might disagree.

Edited by Le duke