JO tried to set up a match with Zain a couple weeks ago and he declined.

JO called him out for the 150lb bracket on Twitter and Zain said he'd see 'them all' at OTT.

These two things are not remotely the same.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

These two things are not remotely the same.

This statement is wrong.  There is enough mutual respect there that JO would believe he makes the finals and there is a very high chance that one of the three people he meets would be Zain.  Hell without factoring in ability and just going off raw numbers, there is a 37.5% chance they meet.  Being that of the toons entered I only see Punia as favored over Zain and JO being the only one that is close to 50/50 with Zain, those numbers go up substantially.  How is that JO not calling him out to do the 150lb bracket?

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This statement is wrong.  There is enough mutual respect there that JO would believe he makes the finals and there is a very high chance that one of the three people he meets would be Zain.  Hell without factoring in ability and just going off raw numbers, there is a 37.5% chance they meet.  Being that of the toons entered I only see Punia as favored over Zain and JO being the only one that is close to 50/50 with Zain, those numbers go up substantially.  How is that JO not calling him out to do the 150lb bracket?

James Green would disagree.He did beat JO last time they wrestled at 70kg with this being at  just over 68kg (149.6) 

2 minutes ago, calot said:

James Green would disagree.He did beat JO last time they wrestled at 70kg with this being at  just over 68kg (149.6) 

Zain Retherford would disagree.  He did beat Green last time they wrestled at 65kg with this being at just under 68kg (149.6).

The score wasn't even close (9-2).

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Zain Retherford would disagree.  He did beat Green last time they wrestled at 65kg with this being at just under 68kg (149.6).

The score wasn't even close (9-2).

So you wouldve 4 guys who could win it in my opinion .So 37.5% chance is probably a little high.

13 minutes ago, calot said:

So you wouldve 4 guys who could win it in my opinion .So 37.5% chance is probably a little high.

You misread.  I said 37.5% chance off pure numbers alone before factoring in ability.  You can't argue against 3 divided by 8 being 0.375, or 37.5%.

Also that was 37.5% that they MEET not that either or the other wins it.

Edited by nhs67

44 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If you can't understand the difference between "wrestle me" and "enter a tournament I'm in; we'll probably both make the finals" then I'm not sure what else there is to say.

9 minutes ago, IronChef said:

If you can't understand the difference between "wrestle me" and "enter a tournament I'm in; we'll probably both make the finals" then I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Simple logix evade you huh?

And back to our regularly scheduled programming.

NLWC just sent out an email with the current full lineup for 11/24:

• David Taylor v Gabe Dean
  • Zain Retherford v Reece Humphrey
  • Bo Nickal v Nate Jackson
  • Nick Lee v Brandon Wright
  • Thomas Gillman v Frank Perelli
  • Carter Starocci v Chance Marstellar
  • Franklin Gomez v Boris Novachkov
  • Joe Lee v Zach Hartman
  • Max Dean v CJ Brucki
  • Jenn Paige v Lauren Mason
  • Nick Nevills v Mauro Correnti

11 matches so far. I wonder if there are more to come.

I guess I'm a casual cause this card doesn't really interest me at all. Only match that really peaked my interest was bo vs nate but has nate been training in the sense of actively trying to improve his skillset? Not just coaching and being a practice partner. 

I guess gomez vs boris is interesting as well but the same concern pops in my mind. Idk just not grabbing my attention 

2 hours ago, BTC said:

I guess I'm a casual cause this card doesn't really interest me at all. Only match that really peaked my interest was bo vs nate but has nate been training in the sense of actively trying to improve his skillset? Not just coaching and being a practice partner. 

I guess gomez vs boris is interesting as well but the same concern pops in my mind. Idk just not grabbing my attention 

Carter Starocci vs a 3rd place at NCAAs guy in the most recent NCAAs should be interesting.

Also, Nate was 2nd at Senior Nationals, losing  to Gabe Dean in the finals. He also teched Sammy Brooks recently.

Taylor vs Gabe Dean should be interesting, if for no other reason than seeing how quickly Taylor techs the current Senior National Champion.

Edited by Le duke

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

Carter Starocci vs a 3rd place at NCAAs guy in the most recent NCAAs should be interesting.

Also, Nate was 2nd at Senior Nationals, losing  to Gabe Dean in the finals. He also teched Sammy Brooks recently.

Taylor vs Gabe Dean should be interesting, if for no other reason than seeing how quickly Taylor techs the current Senior National Champion.

Those are some good points. Its good to hear nate is still competing. IMO he was Bo's biggest threat in college. Hopefully its competitive. When's the last time Taylor wrestled. I feel like it's been ages. Has he been on the mat since his injury?

Jackson is as active as anyone. He was 3rd at Bill Farrell in November, 1st at Alexander Medved in August, and 2nd at Dave Schultz in January along with his runner up finish at the 2020 senior nationals and 7th place finish in the 2019 senior nationals.

Taylor wrestled since his injury against Myles Martin on the Flo card and won the Olympic qualifier in March.

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

Jackson is as active as anyone. He was 3rd at Bill Farrell in November, 1st at Alexander Medved in August, and 2nd at Dave Schultz in January along with his runner up finish at the 2020 senior nationals and 7th place finish in the 2019 senior nationals.

Taylor wrestled since his injury against Myles Martin on the Flo card and won the Olympic qualifier in March.

He has three matches in 2020.

Beat 2016 Olympic 5th Place Pedro Francisco Ceballos Fuentes by Tech Fall, 10-0 (this guy lost to Sharif Sharifov for Bronze in 2016).

Beat Yurieski Torreblanca Queralta 8-0.

Beat Myles Martin by Tech Fall, 11-0.

Seems to be doing quite alright for himself these days.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Nickal out, Beard in against Jackson.

Talk about a swing in predicted results. 

Mike Beard is good for about three minutes. Then the wheels start coming off. Going to be tough sledding against Nate Jackson.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Talk about a swing in predicted results. 

Mike Beard is good for about three minutes. Then the wheels start coming off. Going to be tough sledding against Nate Jackson.

I disagree to the last part.

Beard is all of 202lbs.

Jackson was 79kg until about a year ago wasn't he?  He is long and has the length to compete at 86kg, but he isn't very big.

If Beard can pace his first period, he may wear out Jackson due to his size and strength advantage.

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I disagree to the last part.

Beard is all of 202lbs.

Jackson was 79kg until about a year ago wasn't he?  He is long and has the length to compete at 86kg, but he isn't very big.

If Beard can pace his first period, he may wear out Jackson due to his size and strength advantage.

Jackson wrestled at 184 his last year in college (2017), has a big frame and has definitely filled out that frame to be a good sized 86kg guy.   I don't think Beard will be very competitive with him in FS.  I guess we will know tonight.  

52 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Jackson wrestled at 184 his last year in college (2017), has a big frame and has definitely filled out that frame to be a good sized 86kg guy.   I don't think Beard will be very competitive with him in FS.  I guess we will know tonight.  

I don't disagree that he has filled out quite a bit, he's just not as thick as former 184lbers like G.Dean or T.Dudley(who I full-on believe should also be 86 keggers).

I may also be wrong in remembering, but I thought Jackson went 79 his first couple years out of college?

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=102685132

He definitely did in 2018.

All I mean is that Beard has a significant size advantage and he needs to use it.

52 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't disagree that he has filled out quite a bit, he's just not as thick as former 184lbers like G.Dean or T.Dudley(who I full-on believe should also be 86 keggers).

I may also be wrong in remembering, but I thought Jackson went 79 his first couple years out of college?

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=102685132

He definitely did in 2018.

All I mean is that Beard has a significant size advantage and he needs to use it.

You may be right about Beard having a size advantage as he is a big 197 guy.  I just don't think that is going to help him considering the experience difference in general (age) and in FS in particular. I could be wrong.