lu1979

NLWC Event - PSU's future

1 minute ago, PSUSMC said:

So Meredith should be able to defend against DeSanto's kimura?

;-)

He better be able to.  It was about as half assed as it gets.  Micic was able to and I don't expect him to be an MMA juggernaught!!

5 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I agree, but there are some that think Ybarra, Lee, DeSanto, Eierman would be better than Lee, DeSanto, Murin/Eierman, Eierman/Murin.  Maybe they are seeing something out of Ybarra and not seeing it from Murin?  I don't know.....

I can't think of any reason to move Lee up to 133 - his natural weight is around 130 or less.  Iowa will be much better with DeSanto at 133 and Eierman at 141 especially if Yianni is at 149 as expected.  All 3 could have a good shot at titles although DeSanto's weight is loaded if Fix & Suriano both stay there. 

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I can't think of any reason to move Lee up to 133 - his natural weight is around 130 or less.  Iowa will be much better with DeSanto at 133 and Eierman at 141 especially if Yianni is at 149 as expected.  All 3 could have a good shot at titles although DeSanto's weight is loaded if Fix & Suriano both stay there. 

The logic, although not mine, is that Lee is soooo good he could win 133.  Ybarra, as some think(again I don't know enough to say it is so), would be a high AA at 125.  Then DeSanto a contender at 141 and Eierman as well at 149.  Meanwhile, your way puts a question mark at 149.

Still, I would say Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Eierman would be the most PROVEN lineup and I like proven vs. question marks with a lot of upside.  But, IF Ybarra would be a High AA at 125, Lee winning 133, with Murin and Eierman finishing top 5,  I don't know that the other way would score more points!

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

The logic, although not mine, is that Lee is soooo good he could win 133.  Ybarra, as some think(again I don't know enough to say it is so), would be a high AA at 125.  Then DeSanto a contender at 141 and Eierman as well at 149.  Meanwhile, your way puts a question mark at 149.

Still, I would say Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Eierman would be the most PROVEN lineup and I like proven vs. question marks with a lot of upside.  But, IF Ybarra would be a High AA at 125, Lee winning 133, with Murin and Eierman finishing top 5,  I don't know that the other way would score more points!

I would guess that Lee is a heavy favorite to win @ 125 while being more susceptible to being upset at 133 (especially if Fix & Suriano stay @133) - Eierman has a good chance of being a finalist @ 141 - I would say him and N Lee will start the season as co favorites for the title (although I am really interested in how Enchimedia works out)  DeSanto will be one of 5 or 6 top guys @ 133 to start the season but he will be very competitive.  It is hard to know how Murin will fare up at 149 but I would project him to start the season as a top 10 type guy.  I do think it would be a mistake to bump 3 guys up a weight in order to insert an unproven Ybarra at 125.  In any case Iowa will start as a favorite this year with strong teams chasing them in PSU, Michigan and Cornell. I just hope they all get to wrestle and get to compete in the NCAA tournament.

36 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I think their best option is Murin at 149.  I don't think his peak is any lower at 149 than it was at 141, honestly, nor his valley.  At 149 Eirmannnn's style does not lend well to being overpowered, whereas Murin should be fine either way.

125 Lee
133 Desanto
141 Eirmannnnn
149 Murin
157 Brands
165 Lunchbox/Brands
174 Kemerererererer/Brands
184 Assad/Brands
197 Warner/Glazier
285 Cassman

I am hoping everyone stays healthy and there is no need for the bigger, younger Brands to step in from 165-184, however I'd not mind him proving to be better than any of those three and earning the spot.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I think their best option is Murin at 149.  I don't think his peak is any lower at 149 than it was at 141, honestly, nor his valley.  At 149 Eirmannnn's style does not lend well to being overpowered, whereas Murin should be fine either way.

125 Lee
133 Desanto
141 Eirmannnnn
149 Murin
157 Brands
165 Lunchbox/Brands
184 Assad/Brands
197 Warner/Glazier
285 Cassman

I am hoping everyone stays healthy and there is no need for the bigger, younger Brands to step in from 165-184, however I'd not mind him proving to be better than any of those three and earning the spot.

Serious question: what makes you think that Kemerer, Assad, and Warner don't start this year?

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Serious question: what makes you think that Kemerer, Assad, and Warner don't start this year?

Never said they wouldn't.  I believe they will.

I think they will and hope the only reason one of them wouldn't would be because Nelson Brands and Zach Glazier had improved enough to earn the spot and not due to injury.  Brands and Glazier could start at half the other B1G schools, so they're good.  Just not good enough to start at Iowa right now.

I have no idea what both of them actually weighed, but Bartlett wrestled Meredith at 67 Kg which is 147lbs. Desanto could be at 147 right now. I doubt they'd set the match up in the first place if there was going to be any significant differential between them. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think they will and hope the only reason one of them wouldn't would be because Nelson Brands and Zach Glazier had improved enough to earn the spot and not due to injury.  Brands and Glazier could start at half the other B1G schools, so they're good.  Just not good enough to start at Iowa right now.

Well looks like you had Brands starting at 157...

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Got it was just curious because of your projected lineup above. I wouldn't be surprised if Glazier is a 2x AA after sitting behind Warner, who has a style + match strategy that no one likes but has a real good chance of being a 4x AA and making the finals at least once. I also wouldn't be surprised if Glazier transfers out. Brands is stuck in a murderer's row and could be good enough to AA but will probably never get the chance.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

125 Lee
133 Desanto
141 Eirmannnnn
149 Murin
157 Brands
165 Lunchbox/Brands
184 Assad/Brands
197 Warner/Glazier
285 Cassman

No Kaleb Young?

Is Marinelli's nickname "Lunchbox"?

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well looks like you had Brands starting at 157...

4 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

No Kaleb Young?

Is Marinelli's nickname "Lunchbox"?

Kaleb Young married Brand's daughter this summer and took her last name.  His name is now Kaleb Brands, hence why I said 'bigger, younger Brands' as well.

19 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Got it was just curious because of your projected lineup above. I wouldn't be surprised if Glazier is a 2x AA after sitting behind Warner, who has a style + match strategy that no one likes but has a real good chance of being a 4x AA and making the finals at least once. I also wouldn't be surprised if Glazier transfers out. Brands is stuck in a murderer's row and could be good enough to AA but will probably never get the chance.

I agree Warner does have that chance.  Glazier reminds me of Moore.  Kind of had a helluva redshirt season that turned some heads.  Glazier had what would appear to be a better redshirt season than Warner had(On paper 75% to 50% bonus rate comparison from redshirt seasons).  The Brands Bros are going to put out the team that will give them their best chance to dethrone Penn State this next season.  If Glazier ends up being better in the room and at whatever opens(I don't think he will), we'll see him.  A 4th place guy who grinds out a bunch of decisions gets them less than a 6/7th place guy with a few pins, doesn't it?

I also think it unfortunate that Nelson will not start.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Kaleb Young married Brand's daughter this summer and took her last name.  His name is now Kaleb Brands, hence why I said 'bigger, younger Brands' as well.

I believe what you wrote is just incorrect. Evidence easily found suggests it's the other way around. She took his name. 

Edited by TBar1977

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Hard to believe he would take her last name, even if it is Brands.  Might as well turn in his man card at that point.

Guys.

The fact I have to explain it was a joke is absolutely disappointing.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

wut

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I believe what you wrote is just incorrect. Evidence easily found suggests it's the other way around. She took his name. 

48 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Her facebook name shows Young

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

See above.

I knew you were joking lol.  The Flobros were also talking about that in either FRL or Bader's show.

Back to the original topic, how do you think Iowa and Penn State match up this season if they each sent out their optimal lineup?

31 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

I knew you were joking lol.  The Flobros were also talking about that in either FRL or Bader's show.

Back to the original topic, how do you think Iowa and Penn State match up this season if they each sent out their optimal lineup?

Oof.  That means what is MY optimal lineup.

125) Lee TF Howard

Iowa 5-0

133) Bravo-Young DEC Desanto

Iowa 5-3

141) N.Lee DEC Eirmann

Penn State 6-5

149) Verkleeren DEC Murin

Penn State 9-5

157) K.Brands DEC J.Lee

Penn State 9-8

165) Marinelli DEC Berge

Iowa 11-9

174) Kemererererr DEC Starocci

Iowa 14-9

184) Brooks DEC Assad

Iowa 14-12

197) Warner DEC Beard

Iowa 17-12

285) Kerkvliet DEC Cassiopi

Iowa 17-15

Iowa we know their lineup. Only question is who goes 141/149.

Penn State has many more options.  Bartlett at 141 and N.Lee at 149 is one of them, but I believe it hurts them here.

Kerk could pin Cass.

Beard could beat Warner.

Brooks could bonus Assad(yep).

Starocco could beat Kemererererr(also yep).

Marinelli could bonu ls Berge, but Berge healthy at 165 could be a sleeper AA for then.

J.Lee(or Verk?) could beat K.Brands.

Lee could Major or worse Murin at 141 or 149, and beat Eirmann soundly at '19 Senior Nattys.

Verk could be at 157 if Bartlett is in and could lose or win any match, ever.

Bartlett could be at 141 and is an immediate High AA threat there.

RBY is Tier 1 at 133 and I believe is in Desanto's head now.

Lee with techfall whoever Penn State outs out.  Howard isn't on his level nor is Meredith.

Edited by nhs67

8 hours ago, Le duke said:

I think you're being awfully kind to Assad and Cassioppi. 

Sarcasm or no?

If not, then I reference Assad keeping it to 7-3 Decision when they met last year.

Also Kerk at HWT is an unknown for Folkstyle right now.  I believe his neutral offense and defense will translate swimmingly.  Leg laces and gut wrenches don't do much for points in folkstyle, though.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Sarcasm or no?

If not, then I reference Assad keeping it to 7-3 Decision when they met last year.

Also Kerk at HWT is an unknown for Folkstyle right now.  I believe his neutral offense and defense will translate swimmingly.  Leg laces and gut wrenches don't do much for points in folkstyle, though.

Cass's size advantage probably can't negate Kerkvliet's speed advantage. 

25 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Cass's size advantage probably can't negate Kerkvliet's speed advantage. 

I don't see Big Tony winning, but unless Capt. Kirk is REALLY good on top (or gets a feet to back), I think bonus points will be tough to come by.