yeah...

it was a seminal fight and the retirement afterwards was a real moment that was worth the price of admission...

2 out of 3 judges gave the first round to gaethje... which was not my feeling watching it the first time...

i watched it again with that in mind...

i still don't see it...

it was pretty obvious once justin realized khabib was not impressed with his power, gaethje had an oh **** moment and the fight was effectively over then...

all the lightweights can breath a sigh of relief...

they all have a chance now...

the boogeyman is gone...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Wow two judges had Gatjche winning the first???  I don’t see how 

to be fair...

gaethje landed hard shots and those leg kicks were real, but, if they do not make your opponent even blink is it really a thing?

Now I have to go and find another favorite MMA fighter.  Heck of a performance against a very dangerous string of opponents in his last few fights.  Completely understand him walking away after his fathers passing.  It’s going to be the Porier vs McGregor fight to determine the new champ now.  

Edited by MadMardigain

5 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Now I have to go and find another favorite MMA fighter.  Heck of a performance against a very dangerous string of opponents in his last few fights.  Completely understand him walking away after his fathers passing.  It’s going to be the Porier vs McGregor fight to determine the new champ now.  

nah...

they are not stupid enough to do that...

uuummmmmm...

wait a minute...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

nah...

they are not stupid enough to do that...

uuummmmmm...

wait a minute...

With Gaethje losing it will be  2 vs. #4 for the belt. With a chance for Connor to hold the UFC hostage for some more money if he wins. Ferguson can be in line to face the winner. 

i feel like the UFC has cooled on conor... they know he is a paper tiger...

i can see conor and poirer being a #1 contender and fighting gaethje for the belt...

it was also brought up that dustin or conor drops out to fight gaethje for the title instead...

who knows...

regardless, they are all in the mix since babayaga is retired...

9 hours ago, LJB said:

and also...

the mumps?

really?

who gets the mumps?

So I had to read up on that a little when I saw that because I thought the same thing. But apparently it’s more prevalent in Russia, in part due to some kind of vaccination program failure there some time ago. I imagine when you stretch that out to areas such as Dagestan...

9 hours ago, LJB said:

i feel like the UFC has cooled on conor... they know he is a paper tiger...

i can see conor and poirer being a #1 contender and fighting gaethje for the belt...

it was also brought up that dustin or conor drops out to fight gaethje for the title instead...

who knows...

regardless, they are all in the mix since babayaga is retired...

Hard to give Gaethje a title fight right after a submission loss,  even if it was to the top guy.  They would give him a top 10 guy next and if he wins that he would be back in line for a title talk. 

17 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Hard to give Gaethje a title fight right after a submission loss,  even if it was to the top guy.  They would give him a top 10 guy next and if he wins that he would be back in line for a title talk. 

I don’t necessarily disagree other than the top guy is now gone...

What gaethje did to Ferguson prior...

ferguson being so whiny in the press and is a total flake on the best of days...

McGregor only having one win at 55 ever...

I don’t even remember poier’s last fight...

it’s all up for grabs...

Wow is right. I'm just so impressed with Khabib's smooth and lightening quick transitions when he grapples. That looked unbelievably easy how he hit that triangle submission. Seems like he's getting better and better.

As far as the first round, have to give Justin credit on those leg kicks. They were powerful and had to hurt but appeared like it just increased Khabib's intensity as Khabib stalked him down even more. Also, Khabib was just about to hit a nasty submission hold but the bell rang to end the first round.

Khabib has been one of my favorite athletes in all of sports and I just loved watching all his Dagestani videos, the Will Harris documentaries (loved those) and of course his fights. Also got a big kick hearing Cormier's (and others) stories about Khabib's younger days when he first arrived at AKA and couldn't strike well and couldn't speak much English. 

To me, Khabib was still improving and may be at his very best right now. Total respect in his decision to retire and I if I had a vote, I'd pick Khabib as mma's GOAT.  

24 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Of course he will un-retire. Isn't that always the way?

I’d somewhat agree on most accounts. But the guy promised his mom he wasn’t fighting any more without his dad in his corner.  And dad has passed away.  Khabib’s been pretty firm on honoring his family and religion, so I say this one likely sticks based on the ethics he’s always shown.