He started off wrestling freestyle but didn't have success from what I understand. I believe he stopped in his early teens or so. After that he tried judo and then went into Sambo where he won two world golds before moving to MMA.  Interesting to think that if he'd been better at wrestling he might have ended up stuck somewhere on the Russian senior FS ladder without being able to make the team and obviously making far less money, so his early failures in wrestling definitely worked out for him. 

In my opinion he is the best fighter in MMA history right now. Dominant in the toughest division. 

35 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I would bet you that he will.

How long would have to pass for you to concede on the bet? I get the feeling it's genuine.

Edited by Shiraz123

13 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

He started off wrestling freestyle but didn't have success from what I understand. I believe he stopped in his early teens or so. After that he tried judo and then went into Sambo where he won two world golds before moving to MMA.  Interesting to think that if he'd been better at wrestling he might have ended up stuck somewhere on the Russian senior FS ladder without being able to make the team and obviously making far less money, so his early failures in wrestling definitely worked out for him. 

In my opinion he is the best fighter in MMA history right now. Dominant in the toughest division. 

How long would have to pass for you to concede on the bet? I get the feeling it's genuine.

Ah, that's the rub. Plus we don't even know each other. 

I don't follow MMA enough to know how long fighters take between bouts. But it looks from Wikipedia that he takes a year between bouts (a surprise to me). So he could come out of retirement in a year and be back on his normal schedule. Age 32 seems to young to retire, especially when he makes millions for a single fight. He can always say his dad would have wanted him to fight whatever guy for whatever reason.

46 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't follow MMA enough to know how long fighters take between bouts. But it looks from Wikipedia that he takes a year between bouts (a surprise to me). So he could come out of retirement in a year and be back on his normal schedule. Age 32 seems to young to retire, especially when he makes millions for a single fight. He can always say his dad would have wanted him to fight whatever guy for whatever reason.

He’s made tens of millions and he’s not cut from the cloth that just has to go get another payday when he already has millions.  He’s cut from the cloth of honoring his word to his mother. Additionally he’ll be making money from coaching at AKA as well as endorsements, etc. 

As far as is he truly done for good?  I would say it’s possible he comes back. But from what he said about his mother and knowing how he is about honor, I would have to think it wouldn’t be without his mother’s complete and total blessing. Which could come, possibly her desire not to have compete without his father is a phase in her mourning that will at some point subside. 

it’s interesting that you say you don’t really follow MMA but yet so certain his word is just a word. The people who know him the very best fully believe him when he says he’s retired. Pretty good sources to go with. 

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He’s made tens of millions and he’s not cut from the cloth that just has to go get another payday when he already has millions.  He’s cut from the cloth of honoring his word to his mother. Additionally he’ll be making money from coaching at AKA as well as endorsements, etc. 

As far as is he truly done for good?  I would say it’s possible he comes back. But from what he said about his mother and knowing how he is about honor, I would have to think it wouldn’t be without his mother’s complete and total blessing. Which could come, possibly her desire not to have compete without his father is a phase in her mourning that will at some point subside. 

it’s interesting that you say you don’t really follow MMA but yet so certain his word is just a word. The people who know him the very best fully believe him when he says he’s retired. Pretty good sources to go with. 

My prediction is based on having heard the same pledge 100 times. It's never honored.

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

My prediction is based on having heard the same pledge 100 times. It's never honored.

Khabib is from a different culture I could see him staying retired.  But also I think he said retiring from the UFC so only time will tell.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

At least in one case he took around a year between fights due to healing from an injury and then refusing to fight or prepare for a fight during or right after Ramadan.  That commitment cuts into your time between fights.  Other Muslim fighters have worked around the Ramadan factor a little more, but he’s stuck to his religious commitments pretty strictly.  

If you don’t follow MMA much then I wouldn’t pick Khabib as the person who’s intentions your are questioning.  There are several other fighters who aren’t afraid to waffle on things regularly.  Khabib has yet to show he is one of them. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Fair enough. Personally when “making a prediction” on someone, I myself typically keep it isolated to that someone’s history of actions, not others. But we’re all different. But like I said the possibility is certainly out there. 

Any thoughts on the fight?

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, LJB said:

(he didn't watch the fight)

True, but I know Khabib won and is still champ. The number or fighters who retired while still champ in boxing is, I think, one-- Marciano. Everybody talks about quitting on top. Almost no one does. 

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Henry Cejudo

"On June 8, 2020, Cejudo announced that he would be willing to come out of retirement to fight Alexander Volkanovski in order to claim the UFC featherweight championship, which would be his third title in a different weight class." -- Wikipedia

So he, too, will be back when the price is right. Even he says so. 

Just now, NJDan said:

"On June 8, 2020, Cejudo announced that he would be willing to come out of retirement to fight Alexander Volkanovski in order to claim the UFC featherweight championship, which would be his third title in a different weight class." -- Wikipedia

So he, too, will be back when the price is right. Even he says so. 

Has he come back to the UFC?

Just now, NJDan said:

Look, Cejodo takes about 6 months between bouts, sometimes as much as a year. His last fight was in May. So he could fight in February and still be right on schedule.

Still retired and has not returned.  GSP too.

Named two.

Khabib makes three.

Edited by AHamilton

32 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Still retired and has not returned.  GSP too.

Named two.

Khabib makes three.

Looks like GSP retired in 2013, un-retired in 2017 and then retired again at age 36. Granted he has stayed retired since. But Khabib is just 32 so we will see.

22 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Looks like GSP retired in 2013, un-retired in 2017 and then retired again at age 36. Granted he has stayed retired since. But Khabib is just 32 so we will see.

Yes.  Retired as CHAMP three years ago.  CHAMP.

(and DID NOT retire in 2013... fake news)

Edited by AHamilton