Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

How is covid affecting the college season?

May have been addressed in other threads, but I don't have the patience to read thru everything. Have we heard anything yet? Does NCAA have final say on what can happen or is it based on restrictions in each state? I'm assuming no Midlands this year (RIP Ken Kraft). I assume TN is less restrictive - so could the Scuffle still happen? Will dual meets be allowed? If so, will state law determine whether spectators can attend? Will Big Ten championships happen - and is it a BT decision, NCAA decision, PA decision or all of the above?

Not looking for opinions on what should happen and DEFINITELY not looking for political discussion. Just wondering if anyone else more in-the-know may have updated info. on the state of NCAA wrestling and who the decision-makers are. Thanks!

State and school mandates and guidelines will play a big factor. For example, schools in NY probably won't be able travel outside of the state. Who knows if Ivy Leagues will even be open for students, let alone athletes. 

The second big issue I see is testing and it's cost on schools. Say your wrestling team has a 30 man roster that needs tested twice a week. Say it's about $25 bucks a test, twice a week per wrestler, that's almost $20,000 for a 3 month season just for testing. 

The NCAA has fully taken a hands off approach and has pretty much left it up to conferences and schools and they're working through it now. 

Seven Division III schools have officially canceled wrestling for this season as of October 27th.

https://www.d3wrestle.com/winter-sports-cancellation-tracker/

The NCAA has limited power to tell schools how to conduct their seasons. What the organization does have control over is NCAA-sanctioned events like regionals (DII & DIII) and the NCAA Championships.

The Ivies have their own guidelines and there is an article in the Phila Inquirer about winter sports commenting on basketball specifically. It was not encouraging. They haven’t specified when they will start and talked about an Ivy only schedule as a possibility. Also saw a quote from Koll that was very pessimistic. 

6 hours ago, LHU125 said:

State and school mandates and guidelines will play a big factor. For example, schools in NY probably won't be able travel outside of the state. Who knows if Ivy Leagues will even be open for students, let alone athletes. 

The second big issue I see is testing and it's cost on schools. Say your wrestling team has a 30 man roster that needs tested twice a week. Say it's about $25 bucks a test, twice a week per wrestler, that's almost $20,000 for a 3 month season just for testing. 

The NCAA has fully taken a hands off approach and has pretty much left it up to conferences and schools and they're working through it now. 

Cornell is open for students, is doing massive surveillance testing ( like 5,000-6,000 per day)  and coming up with a positivity rate of .02%.

I'm hearing that the Ivies will issue a statement regarding winter sports sometime mid-to-late November, but before Thanksgiving.  Patriot League will issue a statement in a week or two.

The Army-Air Force dual meet, scheduled for Nov 6th, has been canceled.

The cost of testing is a factor for many schools and will probably need to be more like three times weekly.

Edited by jdalu75

I mean the testing cost had to have been known before.  I’ve said this is in other threads, but if they are playing sports like soccer and women’s volleyball with testing, then testing shouldn’t be an obstacle for wrestling IMO.

You guys are depressing the hell out of me. I'm sorry I asked.

Would be a great opportunity to move the sport to the spring (like our state's HS season is doing). Gets away from covid for this year, and gets us away from bball march madness in the future. I assume greater minds than mine have thought of this...

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You guys are depressing the hell out of me. I'm sorry I asked.

Would be a great opportunity to move the sport to the spring (like our state's HS season is doing). Gets away from covid for this year, and gets us away from bball march madness in the future. I assume greater minds than mine have thought of this...

Moved Illinois HS to Summer.  Spring/Summer April 19 to June 26, 2021

Edited by Mphillips

17 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Moved Illinois HS to Summer.  Spring/Summer April 19 to June 26, 2021

Yep and most good IL kids will decide to do freestyle tournaments and Fargo with no guarantee of a state tournament.IL schools typically end early with many graduating last weekend of May.Not sure how the season will look once school is out.

Edited by calot

10 hours ago, calot said:

Yep and most good IL kids will decide to do freestyle tournaments and Fargo with no guarantee of a state tournament.IL schools typically end early with many graduating last weekend of May.Not sure how the season will look once school is out.

Didn’t Iowa HS (and maybe elsewhere) play baseball this past summer?

Edited by 1032004

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Didn’t Iowa HS (and maybe elsewhere) play baseball this past summer?

Iowa always plays Summer Baseball. I am not sure if there are any other states that play summer ball. 

If they can play Football (And they have been playing this year)  they should be able to do any Sport  (I know Wrestling also has contact as part of the sport)  if they play Football and cancel the other sport, it would look like they used football as a money grab as it along with basketball produce most of the revenue, if that happens it would give Football players more leverage in asking to be paid.

For what it is worth Bethune Cookman which does NOT have a Wrestling team just recently it announced no sports until at least the beginning of the 21-22 school year in September 2021, will others follow?  

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-bethune-cookman-cancels-sports-20201027-rhuxld54bzbtbb2usied6raide-story.html

Edited by dougb

7 minutes ago, dougb said:

If they can play Football (And they have been playing this year)  they should be able to do any Sport  (I know Wrestling also has contact as part of the sport)  if they play Football and cancel the other sport, it would look like they used football as a money grab as it along with basketball produce most of the revenue, if that happens it would give Football players more leverage in asking to be paid.

You're asking for wrestling and other "lower" tiered sports to be considered equals to FB and BB, they aren't, have never been and will never be.