Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

Question about former Penn State wrestler

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Not so much. They invited the returning champs from D2, D3 and the NAIA until the tournament created divisions for each in 2004.

Jason.  I like you.  I'm sorry I made a mistake.  Augsburg beat #20 Pitt in 1998.  So maybe it took 6 years to take lower division schools out?

But I also think I remember coaching in it in 2002 and the divisions were separated, please tell me I'm wrong! (maybe not juco or naia, but there were separate divisions)

I'm not a wrestling journalist, but I'm pretty sure I was there and the divisions were separated.

So maybe the divisions were created earlier... much closer to the 1998 win by Augsburg?

My bad on the year. 2004 was the first year I'd covered the event in Cleveland, it was also the first year the NJCAA and NAIA were added to the fray. That's also why I said '04.

You're correct - 2002 was the first season there were three divisions. Pretty sure it was in Columbus that year. 

The 1994 Central Oklahoma team was the only non-D1 team to place in the top eight. UCO (D2) was 7th - beat Wartburg, Fresno State and Michigan, all on the consolation side. 

Augsburg went 3-8 all-time in the event with a 1992 win over WVU, that 98 win over Pitt and win over then-D2 NDSU in 1999. 

Based on my time at the NWCA, it's my belief that the divisional concept was always the idea since the NWCA took the event on its own from the Virginia Duals, which started it. 

8 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

My bad on the year. 2004 was the first year I'd covered the event in Cleveland, it was also the first year the NJCAA and NAIA were added to the fray. That's also why I said '04.

You're correct - 2002 was the first season there were three divisions. Pretty sure it was in Columbus that year. 

The 1994 Central Oklahoma team was the only non-D1 team to place in the top eight. UCO (D2) was 7th - beat Wartburg, Fresno State and Michigan, all on the consolation side. 

Augsburg went 3-8 all-time in the event with a 1992 win over WVU, that 98 win over Pitt and win over then-D2 NDSU in 1999. 

Based on my time at the NWCA, it's my belief that the divisional concept was always the idea since the NWCA took the event on its own from the Virginia Duals, which started it. 

That 1994 Central Oklahoma team was tough.  I liked it when the smaller programs got a chance to wrestle the larger schools.  Of course, I think D3 and D2 champions should get chance at the D1 tournament, especially now with so few D1 programs. 

On 10/31/2020 at 10:46 AM, Cary by the Lake said:

**** Regardless of his average wrestling career, he sounds like a real great character guy.  To me he is very believable and has all the guts in the world to try to do the right thing. I would imagine he and his family are being threatened by many in power positions.  America needs more people like him to step forward when corruption is rampant, regardless of how it may affect them in the future.  God Bless You.

Looks like in 2020 he's 0-1 against Biden.

You are mistaken about that.  His last two losses are shown as happening on 3/5/95 against B Shiver No Western (6th @ B10s) and C Bailey MSU (3rd @ B10s) at 150 lbs.   That year PSU did not have anyone in the NCAA tournament at 150 lbs and didn't place in the top 8 @ B10s.  It is apparent that those last two losses were at the Big 10 tournament.  I don't have access to brackets but you can see all of the B10 placers on wretlingstats.com.  

Edited by lu1979

11 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Bobulinski never wrestled in the Big Ten Tournament. 

Not too many captains out there that never wrestled in the conference tournament, I would guess.

You are mistaken about that.  His last two losses are shown as happening on 3/5/95 against B Shiver No Western (6th @ B10s) and C Bailey MSU (3rd @ B10s) at 150 lbs.   That year PSU did not have anyone in the NCAA tournament at 150 lbs and didn't place in the top 8 @ B10s.  It is apparent that those last two losses were at the Big 10 tournament.  I don't have access to brackets but you can see all of the B10 placers on wretlingstats.com.  

On 11/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, lu1979 said:

You're right.  I did a name search in the 1995 Big Ten Tournament, thinking that if it wasn't found he didn't wrestle.  Forgot that only Big Ten place winners are shown on wrestlingstats.

Edited by TheOhioState