Mphillips

NJ Individual State Tourney Cancelled

15 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The whole thing is moot now.

If I read the press release correctly on nj.com, Governor Murphy canceled all indoor sports, thorough  High Schools.

College and pro sports are exempt.

Please reread it. The word INTERSTATE is the key word there.

Apparently,the fate of High School Winter sports in NJ,including wrestling ,remains in doubt.

According to nj.com ,the NJSIAA will issue their decision next week on the fate of High School  Winter (Season 2) Sports.

The nj.com story quotes  the  the NJSIAA's  Chief Operating Officer (Colleen Maguire)  saying the decision "which will not be subject to change . . ."

With the ongoing spike in positive tests,that statement is concerning.

Edited by rpbobcat

I went from thinking there was no chance in hell to cautiously optimistic.  I like the proposal by NJ.com and hope the NJSIAA follows suit.  Moves the season to Feb 16-April 24 and includes an individual state tournament.  If necessary they recommend having it outside possibly on Rutgers football field.  Eliminates team state tourney/groups but you could still win your division/conference and it gives the kids the shot they deserve.  Hopefully numbers will be under control by Feb and it'll be a go.    

Edited by AnklePicker

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Which gives them a much better chance of finishing. Maybe an outdoor championships?

60 x 100 tent with with the flap down behind the scoring table. Maybe other flaps to drop if it is going to rain. Put it on a flat parking lot, maybe a tennis court. I I hope pa goes that way, but not likely

Actual tournament on the football field. The tent for the tailgate before the Lehi-Laf game could easily hold a dozen mats, probably a lot more

8 hours ago, RichB said:

60 x 100 tent with with the flap down behind the scoring table. Maybe other flaps to drop if it is going to rain. Put it on a flat parking lot, maybe a tennis court. I I hope pa goes that way, but not likely

Actual tournament on the football field. The tent for the tailgate before the Lehi-Laf game could easily hold a dozen mats, probably a lot more

There was an article in The Record this morning that said one option under consideration is using multiple,smaller venues

for individual state championships.

Each venue would have 1-2 weight classes.

There was an article in The Record this morning that said one option under consideration is using multiple,smaller venues
for individual state championships.
Each venue would have 1-2 weight classes.

lol. Only in Jersey.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk