Sign in to follow this  
ShakaAloha

Kamal Bey Suspension

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Does Bey's whereabouts suspension take him out of the Trials and Olympics?

He's ineligible through June 7, 2021. Olympic Trials are in April 2021 so even though he'll be eligible to compete by the time the Olympics roll around, he's obviously ineligible to qualify.

2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

He's ineligible through June 7, 2021. Olympic Trials are in April 2021 so even though he'll be eligible to compete by the time the Olympics roll around, he's obviously ineligible to qualify.

Taking the ol' Jordan Oliver route I see

He explains it (sort of) in a tweet thread.

First time he says he was out training and wasn't home when they came to test. Strange to me that counts as a strike when you're in the area just not home when they stop by.

2nd time he left the country without telling them and also lost his phone. Not sure how the phone part matters but maybe it does.

Third time he was staying with family and USADA didn't have his location. Sounds like he told them where he would be once but didn't update his info when his stay lasted into the summer. Possibly he shouldn't have had to update it since his location did not change.

The first and last seem like it could happen to anyone. The second one seems like a mistake.

15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

can you expand on this, I would love to be able to badmouth Saduleav with some substance, personality flaw I know.

I'm pretty certain Saduleav had a very similar circumstance.  Thought I read it on here?

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

can you expand on this, I would love to be able to badmouth Saduleav with some substance, personality flaw I know.

Saduleev has had two "whereabouts" violations.  I think the next one is a ban.  

He has publicly addressed this.

Edited by AHamilton

If the third one is true, then that doesn’t seem right.

However the first 2 seem odd.   Do they really try to drug test you at 4am?   And “lost my phone” certainly seems like a convenient excuse (he also didn’t say anything about the whereabouts of his phone on the first one).

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If the third one is true, then that doesn’t seem right.

However the first 2 seem odd.   Do they really try to drug test you at 4am?   And “lost my phone” certainly seems like a convenient excuse (he also didn’t say anything about the whereabouts of his phone on the first one).

But that’s why they have the three strikes, the understanding that things happen. I feel for him if he’s telling the truth about the three instances, but on the other hand if not for the first two instances, the third during the pandemic is pretty much a non issues. I became a little leery right at the beginning of his description when he said USADA “only” allows three strikes. 

Sadulaev is sitting on two strikes as well, I wonder what the American reaction would be if he hit a third in the same circumstance...

The second one is the really bad one. Leaving the country without updating your location is inexcusable. It's an online system, do the update in the car on the way to the airport if it's such short notice.

Also, if I'm sitting on two strikes, I'm checking all the time to make sure my whereabouts are right in the system. That said, maybe I wouldn't have done so when I was 22.

There's a lot of complaint out there online about the system, but I do think it's telling that you almost never hear about this happening. Is there another US wrestler that has had this happen?

My last question is for anyone who might know. If he missed three tests in a year, how many times did he not miss? How often can an athlete like Bey expect to be randomly tested out of competition like this?

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

My last question is for anyone who might know. If he missed three tests in a year, how many times did he not miss? How often can an athlete like Bey expect to be randomly tested out of competition like this?

Curious as well...

They dont just randomly show up whenever they please.  You set the time and the location, and it only has to be an hour.  Most guys set it at 4-6 am, as there is little chance they would just randomly go do something at those hours.  USADA also will wait around, so if you set it for 6 am, they dont just leave at 6:01.  I had a guy wait at my front door for an hour because I couldnt hear him knocking.  The overseas and lost the phone one is the one I can definitely understand if you are not very organized.  Try going to some 4rd world country without a phone.  I have done it 20 times or more.  Logging into a USADA app from Kosovo without a phone is damn near impossible if you arent that friendly.

18 minutes ago, olddirty said:

They dont just randomly show up whenever they please.  You set the time and the location, and it only has to be an hour.  Most guys set it at 4-6 am, as there is little chance they would just randomly go do something at those hours.  USADA also will wait around, so if you set it for 6 am, they dont just leave at 6:01.  I had a guy wait at my front door for an hour because I couldnt hear him knocking.  The overseas and lost the phone one is the one I can definitely understand if you are not very organized.  Try going to some 4rd world country without a phone.  I have done it 20 times or more.  Logging into a USADA app from Kosovo without a phone is damn near impossible if you arent that friendly.

Do I understand this right then, that you set the time and place and you get dinged only if you are not there for the time place you chose?

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Do I understand this right then, that you set the time and place and you get dinged only if you are not there for the time place you chose?

Yes, this exactly.  Most guys just set it once at the beginning of the quarter.  I would set mine for 5 am every day, location my house or the dorms at the OTC, and just set that for the next 90 days in a row.  They have an app that you can pull up and change if you have to go somewhere.  Takes about 15 seconds.  Or you can go online, or call with an automated service.  In competition is different.  For example, if I make the finals of Pan Ams, they can test me on the spot after the match, even if thats outside of my 1 hour window.  This is why it is very suspect when foreigners will make the finals of a tournament and just disappear after the semi finals.