Sign in to follow this  
HokieToph

Robles was GREAT

That's the problem. There are guys in the market. I know one person who used to moderate this board has said several times he'd like to be a broadcaster. Maybe he should be given a chance. I don't see Tim Johnson as anything more than an Iowan homer and historian. Not saying he's not a good guy and all, but he does nothing from an entertainment standpoint.

I am sure you would NOT complain about that person on the air, now would you?

No idea about the new guys you speak of, and have never heard JB. What I do know, is if you can't tell Johnson is Iowa homer you shouldn't be in the discussion anyway.

So, from what I gathered about the thread so far is that an announcer that leans towards IA is ok, but if there is a Nittany lean he's out. Seems about right to me.

I say put them both on and let them argue on the air :D

You want some excitement in the announce booth, bring in Jim Ross from the WWE. He's a big Sooner homer but he could do a good job of it. I hear an interview from him talking about mma which he has a tremendous knowledge of and think he would be an incredible announcer that route to.

Jim Gibbons and Anthony Robles would be my ideal twosome. I know both. Gibbons was a national champ and national champion coach, he is very knowlegable abd unbiased. Anthony is a younger guy, very articulate, and one of the best spokesmen we could have for wrestling.

Bump...

Saw part of AR in the intro of the finals from a partial copy. I agree he is great.

Wanted in the worst way: a DVD copy of finals or earlier 'U' rounds. Willing to pay!

Sadly my version got everything by the last 2 weights, even though I thought I allowed enough time. Commercial breaks, and doing awards between ea. weight made the coverage longer.

If able to help a wrestling fan out, please e-me or PM. a_beav at hot mail dot com

Thanks!

At the risk of getting crucified I am going to throw a name out there, if you were at the tournament and bought one of the radios you got to listen to some good play by play guys. The best one far and away was Shane Sparks. The same Shane Sparks that sux so bad doing interviews on the BIG brodcasts. Knowlegable, informative, and enthusiastic. He blows Robles out of the water! I personaly thought Robles was weak sauce behind the mike.

My choice for ESPN would be to keep Robles (a breath of fresh air), borrow Joe Tessitore from boxing and football, and then promote Jim Gibbons.

Tessitore is an excellent moderator and would learn the sport (if he doesn't already know it).

Jim Gibbons has credibility (NCAA champ AND coach), explains with good verbal images, and isn't a homer.

Robles was great and I think he could be used in other sports, he never stumbled once. I think that ESPN should cherry pick and get Bader. His gonzoesque approach is really what made ESPN great to begin with. I love to hear Bader do the call. He gets even the casual fan into the match.

Robles was great and I think he could be used in other sports, he never stumbled once. I think that ESPN should cherry pick and get Bader. His gonzoesque approach is really what made ESPN great to begin with. I love to hear Bader do the call. He gets even the casual fan into the match.

The flo guys are fine for flo. I think they would do a disservice for a national audience that contains a lot of non-avid fans. Much like Jim Rome ... they cater to a select audience ... not a general audience.

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the whole crew was pretty decent. Amin does not know the sport but he stayed enthusiastic for three days of coverage. Johnson covered Amin's ass pretty well. I actually thought Johnson was a better color guy than he is a play by play guy. Robles was overall great.

I think Gibbons is consistently mediocre to bad on BTN.