Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Lee / Gilman... TnT with the quack???

37 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I'm not sure if you're being obtuse or if I'm asking the wrong question?  I'm asking if the ones you mentioned were compensated illegally as you say and if that's documented.

Oh yes it is documented. Cael mentioned that the athletes were paid for the NLWC events, Tony Ramos mentioned that the THWC was compensating the athletes for their events, and various athletes have mentioned receiving compensation for the various events. The one that comes to mind is Bryce Meredith, I know he’s talked about getting paid

16 hours ago, Alwaysright said:

I’m assuming you are referring to the HWC event, in which case Andy Hamilton of Track mentions on his Twitter feed that the wrestlers got $5k to compete, $5k to win, plus a PPV bonus.

It was mentioned numerous times during the HWC event that those amounts were for non-collegiate athletes only.

Didn't the NCAA compensation rules change a few years ago?  I recall Kyle Snyder getting paid directly rather than through a deferred trust fund.  Surely 501(C)(3) organizations are allowed to have expenses, employees and paid contractors.

Edited by Plasmodium
typo

55 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Didn't the NCAA compensation rules change a few years ago?  I recall Kyle Snyder getting paid directly rather than through a deferred trust fund.  Surely 501(C)(3) organizations are allowed to have expenses, employees and paid contractors.

Of course 501(c)(3) organizations are allowed to have expenditures that go towards employees, contractors, etc.; however, those expenditures must be exclusively made for advancing a 501(c)(3) exempt purpose. The organizations are allowed to pay the athletes a stipend for training, but paying the athletes to compete is not an exempt purpose, which is why professional sports teams are not 501(c)(3). 

Edited by Alwaysright

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

It was mentioned numerous times during the HWC event that those amounts were for non-collegiate athletes only.

Thank you for the info, but I’m not referring to NCAA compensation rules; I’m referring to IRS rules relating to 501(c)(3) organizations, which apply regardless of whether the athletes are still in college.