Well I guess we can kiss any chance of Clemson bringing back wrestling goodbye

5 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Allegedly, Clemson's track team was revenue positive. 

It appears last year they held five indoor events at their place, so ticket sales, entry fees, etc. apparently add up.

10 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Allegedly, Clemson's track team was revenue positive. 

Someone provided this link in the comments: https://clemsontigers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/EADA-file-1.pdf

Looks like above are the numbers for "operating expenses," but for 2018-2019 for example under "total expenses" it lists $2,215,928.   It shows total scholarships at $1,003,721, so assuming those are included in total expenses, there still seems to be about $700K not included.

I also see that the salaries for men's and women's track coaches show the same salaries, and their website only lists 6 actual coaches - so I wonder if they are being double counted as expenses?

...somehow I also find it hard to believe that women's soccer, track, golf, tennis all bring in more revenue than their men's counterparts?

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

It would be really nice to see them bring back the program. It would be really nice to see Sammie at the helm. 

Well the point of my OP was if they're cutting Men's T&F and XC, zero chance they add wrestling.

13 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Meh, Clemson wrestling sucked anyway. Hard to get excited about bringing back a ****ty program.

Some people were excited about Fresno St and they brought it back so maybe Clemson will do the same.

It's not about making money (or at least it shouldn't be) - it's about developing well rounded student athletes. Wrestling is excellent for this and XC and track aren't too shabby either. Even though this does not involve a wrestling program getting cut, it's bad for wrestling, bad for sports, and bad for the NCAA's goal (or what it's goal should be) of developing kids who are healthy in body and mind.

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Clemson's football team actually MAKES money, unlike 90% of the D1 wrestling programs

I don’t think there is a wrestling program in the country that makes more money than the program costs. Penn State draws big crowds but the program still loses money. I’m not sure about IOWA. 

54 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

It's not about making money (or at least it shouldn't be) - it's about developing well rounded student athletes. Wrestling is excellent for this and XC and track aren't too shabby either. Even though this does not involve a wrestling program getting cut, it's bad for wrestling, bad for sports, and bad for the NCAA's goal (or what it's goal should be) of developing kids who are healthy in body and mind.

If the NCAA cared about developing the “mind” they wouldn’t have such low eligibility requirements.

2.3 GPA and 980 SAT/75 ACT are the minimum. No one with a 2.3GPA deserves to get into a college, let alone receive a full scholarship, when kids with 3.7GPA+ 1300+ SAT may not get in, and if they do, will be paying $100k+ after doing all the right things while in high school.

As a former coach, educator, and college athlete, I know for a fact that a lot of those students with 2.3-2.5 GPAs should have been 1.0 or less as coaches and administrators, all over this country, pressure teachers to bump up grades, give extra credit, redo tests, all because “they are being recruited”.

The entire education system is flawed. Colleges put so much emphasis on athletics because it’s a money maker, not just the athletic department but also applications and enrollments. After VT played in the National Championship in 1999, applications increased by 35%. This is common of all colleges.

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Clemson's football team actually MAKES money, unlike 90% of the D1 wrestling programs

A lot of football teams lose money too (and lots of it).    Maybe more schools should cut football

52 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

If the NCAA cared about developing the “mind” they wouldn’t have such low eligibility requirements.

2.3 GPA and 980 SAT/75 ACT are the minimum. No one with a 2.3GPA deserves to get into a college, let alone receive a full scholarship, when kids with 3.7GPA+ 1300+ SAT may not get in, and if they do, will be paying $100k+ after doing all the right things while in high school.

As a former coach, educator, and college athlete, I know for a fact that a lot of those students with 2.3-2.5 GPAs should have been 1.0 or less as coaches and administrators, all over this country, pressure teachers to bump up grades, give extra credit, redo tests, all because “they are being recruited”.

The entire education system is flawed. Colleges put so much emphasis on athletics because it’s a money maker, not just the athletic department but also applications and enrollments. After VT played in the National Championship in 1999, applications increased by 35%. This is common of all colleges.

Someone with a 3.7+ GPA and 1300+ SAT should be able to get into most of the top football schools right?  Except maybe a few schools like Notre Dame, VT, Michigan, UNC (and we know that athletes there have certainly gotten their grades "bumped"), etc.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Someone with a 3.7+ GPA and 1300+ SAT should be able to get into most of the top football schools right?  Except maybe a few schools like Notre Dame, VT, Michigan, UNC (and we know that athletes there have certainly gotten their grades "bumped"), etc.

You’d think but I know more than a few who did not. In my high school alone, there were multiple people who applied to VT with GPAs and scores above that and they threw a fit when I got in instead. Now my GPA was 2.7-2.8 and my SAT scores were higher than theirs, plus three sport athlete, clubs, community service, etc., but their parents were furious, particularly when I was brought on stage to accept my full academic scholarship at the Senior Award ceremony.

6 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

You’d think but I know more than a few who did not. In my high school alone, there were multiple people who applied to VT with GPAs and scores above that and they threw a fit when I got in instead. Now my GPA was 2.7-2.8 and my SAT scores were higher than theirs, plus three sport athlete, clubs, community service, etc., but their parents were furious, particularly when I was brought on stage to accept my full academic scholarship at the Senior Award ceremony.

Well VT was one of the exceptions I listed.    But I'm pretty sure what you describe is basically why schools like Stanford, Dartmouth, and Brown have dropped sports.  I think they realized they don't want as many people that wouldn't otherwise get into the school there if their sport isn't making money.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well VT was one of the exceptions I listed.    But I'm pretty sure what you describe is basically why schools like Stanford, Dartmouth, and Brown have dropped sports.  I think they realized they don't want as many people that wouldn't otherwise get into the school there if their sport isn't making money.

This will blow your mind...I got into Penn but not UVA.

A few things on cost vs. revenue.

1. D1 Track/Cross Country is limited to 12.6 scholarships - Clemson had 70+ on the roster for 2020-21, about half of which are from out of state and pay higher tuition

2. In 2018-19, they hosted 5 indoor track meets, each of which generates revenue from ticket sales, entry fees, and maybe concessions

This decision seems dubious from a cost savings perspective.