hammerlockthree

So Burroughs Missed weight vs martinez?

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

So.....Burroughs missed weight, or Martinez is being a real scumbag.

This is the type of thing Flo is scared to touch....

If Burroughs missed weight, would that make him the scumbag?

Ive heard from multiple sources Burroughs most definitely did not make weight. Additionally Askren and Rowland’s said they heard he didnt on their old Rudus podcast.

It was always weird to me that Medlin and Hefferan didn’t make a bigger deal about it, my theory was USA wrestling told them to shut up and deal

Edited by jp157
Yes I edited because of a grammatical mistake. I said did instead of didn’t.

5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

What is Martinez so upset about in this case? Like, what made him bring this up? I skimmed through the video link and didn't see anything, but maybe I missed it?

I think the implication by the quote in the tweet is that he needed to go up in order to "get a challenge"

I get where everyone is on Imar and his so-called "outrage". But aren't we missing the point? If JB didn't make weight that should be getting ALL the press not Imar. Is USA wrestling complicit in allowing him to wrestle anyway? Did JB knowingly miss weight and then wrestle anyway? I don't know how it would be unknowingly and, if so, that is a scumbag move by everyone involved.

5 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I get where everyone is on Imar and his so-called "outrage". But aren't we missing the point? If JB didn't make weight that should be getting ALL the press not Imar. Is USA wrestling complicit in allowing him to wrestle anyway? Did JB knowingly miss weight and then wrestle anyway? I don't know how it would be unknowingly and, if so, that is a scumbag move by everyone involved.

I'm in this boat as well.

13 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I disagree with this because the trials are essentially a wrestle off. If he missed by a quarter of a pound or less, does it really make a difference in finding out who the best wrestler is?

In my opinion, if JB did miss weight, Imar did the right thing by trying to take the spot in an actual match. If he'd just been given the spot without a match there would always be that asterisk no matter how well he performed at worlds and no one would know how close he really was with Burroughs. He nearly pulled it off and showed he can compete with anyone there.

My philosophy might just be different but I say take the best guy at the weight to have the best chance of winning a medal.

10 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

I disagree with this because the trials are essentially a wrestle off. If he missed by a quarter of a pound or less, does it really make a difference in finding out who the best wrestler is?

In my opinion, if JB did miss weight, Imar did the right thing by trying to take the spot in an actual match. If he'd just been given the spot without a match there would always be that asterisk no matter how well he performed at worlds and no one would know how close he really was with Burroughs. He nearly pulled it off and showed he can compete with anyone there.

My philosophy might just be different but I say take the best guy at the weight to have the best chance of winning a medal.

What if it were a pound or less? Two pounds or less?  Five?

On 11/7/2020 at 5:07 PM, Relentless125 said:

If he did not make weight he should of lost his spot and no a asterisk would not of been by his name.  I don’t believe that USA Wrestling would of allowed that to happen.

Edited by Alwayswrestling

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

What if it were a pound or less? Two pounds or less?  Five?

That's why I said a quarter of a pound. That much might make a difference but do you really think he would step on the scale if he was a pound over? Maybe for appearances.

There was discussion about this when it happened last year.  

Just now, Relentless125 said:

That's why I said a quarter of a pound. That much might make a difference but do you really think he would step on the scale if he was a pound over? Maybe for appearances.

There was discussion about this when it happened last year.  

So, what is your limit? .25 over?  How about .26?  .27?

10 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

You are missing the point IMO. HE MISSED WEIGHT! There is nothing more sacred in the sport than the fact that a person has to make weight at the designated time in order to wrestle. PERIOD! END OF STORY! That is the line. You can't say he was only over a couple of ounces. So if someone is a pound over, is that too much? Where is the cutoff? ...Its at the weight limit during weigh ins.

I have no idea what the actual situation was but the scenario described above is a very tough one and I can see both sides. I do think you need to have the actual weight class as a cut off. If you are .1 over, you missed weight. However, it is essentially a wrestle off and our country wants the best guy there. No one wants to see a world team spot decided over a weigh in. So what would you do if you are USA wrestling and Burroughs misses weight by a few ounces? Possible solutions could be:

1. Delay the weigh in. Allow him to go loose a bit of weight then step back on the scale. During this time, IMar can refuel and rehydrate, but JB must make weight before the competition starts. JB still makes weight, IMar gains an advantage for JBs mistake, USA gets the wrestle off they deserve. (I’m guessing this is what actually happened)

2. Give IMar ONE win for the missed weigh in... don’t just hand him the spot though. Schedule another day for the final wrestle off. JB has to win two in a row to gain the spot.

Just my ideas. I don’t think it’s right to allow someone to wrestle if they missed weight, but I don’t think we should just hand someone a world team spot either. Keep in mind, many countries like Russia wouldn’t have made JB weigh in or even compete. They would’ve just given him the spot, but I don’t like that either.