hammerlockthree

So Burroughs Missed weight vs martinez?

my youngest just weighed in at pre-season using a low cut singlet he wore when he was 8 that is totally illegal to wear in competition now...

at the time, we had the leg hems removed and the singlet material double stitched to use as a makeshift hem because his legs are always too big for the rest of his body...

that dropped close to a half ounce off that singlet...

how he can fit into it now is beyond me...

they don't ask him to pull the straps up at weigh ins... skin checks...

On 11/8/2020 at 12:07 AM, Relentless125 said:

I disagree with this because the trials are essentially a wrestle off. If he missed by a quarter of a pound or less, does it really make a difference in finding out who the best wrestler is?

In my opinion, if JB did miss weight, Imar did the right thing by trying to take the spot in an actual match. If he'd just been given the spot without a match there would always be that asterisk no matter how well he performed at worlds and no one would know how close he really was with Burroughs. He nearly pulled it off and showed he can compete with anyone there.

My philosophy might just be different but I say take the best guy at the weight to have the best chance of winning a medal.

I don’t see why trials should be treated any differently from worlds.

There is a reason there are weigh-ins and where do you draw the line if someone doesn’t make weight? Every other aspect of the competition is regulated and everything needs to be on a level playing field. Being over by 1/4 lb is the same as leading until the last 2 seconds. It matters.

I’m a huge JB fan btw.

Edited by wamba

I think there is a divide between the cynical realists and the people who want it as fair as possible. 

While I don’t like it. And it’s pretty much established Burroughs missed weight. Anyone who doesn’t understand USA wrestling’s main goal is medals and the funding that comes from them is delusional. I could give lots of reasons and examples. But that’s reality. 

Too many people are incapable of looking at things the way they actually are. And only see what they want or “how the world should be”.

Before anyone screeches or says I supposedly have no honor. I was actually very annoyed at the time Medlin and IMAR didn’t make a bigger deal about it. The impression I got was that they shrugged and dealt rather than getting “told” to accept it

ha... just watched a dake clip and he brings up the scale issues JB has had in the past...

i chuckled...

anyway...

USAW cooked a bracket at cadet WTT just a month before Final X, so, no one should make the mistake of thinking they are 100% above reproach...

regardless...

if imar knew about the missed weight then and let it slide at the time, do not be some vindictive jilted lover and bring it up a year and a half later just because your ego got dented from a softball interview...

53 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Expand on this please, no need for new topic i won't hijack

They cooked the 51 bracket to get the final everyone wanted... 

they released it initially at the tourney correctly... saw what was gonna happen... yanked it and ignored their seeding...

then a kid went ahead and blew it up anyway...

Because Burroughs had a bye to the match, do we even know what the rules are if he had missed weight and IMAR protested? Wouldn't USAW have just postponed the wrestle off to a later date rather than hand the spot to IMAR? It's their job to put the best team on the mat, so I think this is what would have happened rather than give IMAR the spot because Burroughs was off by the weight of a singlet. 

In terms of IMAR....Burroughs always praises him and others...He's clearly just trying to hype his match with Valencia.  I don't see the point in being so defensive unless he wants to be next after JB beats Zahid (in which case the trash talk is smart).  

4 hours ago, LJB said:

They cooked the 51 bracket to get the final everyone wanted... 

they released it initially at the tourney correctly... saw what was gonna happen... yanked it and ignored their seeding...

then a kid went ahead and blew it up anyway...

Are there people who actually care about Cadet 51 kg enough to rig a bracket?  

Edited by Billyhoyle

15 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Because Burroughs had a bye to the match, do we even know what the rules are if he had missed weight and IMAR protested? Wouldn't USAW have just postponed the wrestle off to a later date rather than hand the spot to IMAR? It's their job to put the best team on the mat, so I think this is what would have happened rather than give IMAR the spot because Burroughs was off by the weight of a singlet. 

If you “miss” weight you don’t wrestle...

this isn’t rocket science...

it really is a bit wild to me how many really do not care about rules and procedures...

18 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Are there people who actually care about Cadet 51 kg enough to rig a bracket?  

Clearly there is because they damn sure did it...

31 minutes ago, LJB said:

If you “miss” weight you don’t wrestle...

this isn’t rocket science...

it really is a bit wild to me how many really do not care about rules and procedures...

Clearly there is because they damn sure did it...

Right, I'm not saying they should have wrestled with him missing weight.  Just that they would have likely rescheduled the wrestle off to a later date. JB had a bye so there had to be a match to determine the spot.  

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Right, I'm not saying they should have wrestled with him missing weight.  Just that they would have likely rescheduled the wrestle off to a later date. JB had a bye so there had to be a match to determine the spot.  

If he misses he forfeits...

it’s that simple... 

ergo... he “made” weight...

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Do you actually know this is in the rules for WTT or is this what you want the rule to be?

The rules have already been posted in this thread...

Not that rules seem to mean much to some of you guys...

On 11/7/2020 at 3:27 AM, ConnorsDad said:

I get where everyone is on Imar and his so-called "outrage". But aren't we missing the point? If JB didn't make weight that should be getting ALL the press not Imar. Is USA wrestling complicit in allowing him to wrestle anyway? Did JB knowingly miss weight and then wrestle anyway? I don't know how it would be unknowingly and, if so, that is a scumbag move by everyone involved.

guys miss weight all the time in mma, still fight

15 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

So it is fact Burroughs missed weight?

no, it is not a fact at all...

but...

his competitors give him the side eye...

you can make up your own mind on it...

regardless...

it has been found that USAW will do some shady **** when it benefits them and most here really don't care as long as their guy comes out on top...

1 hour ago, Alwayswrestling said:

So it is fact Burroughs missed weight?

I assume this will change absolutely no one's minds because no one comes hear to listen. 

CP and Bader discuss the weigh in starting at 1:22 

They mention that the check scale was weighing 0.2 light. They mention that Snyder initially failed to make weight also.

Then there is this.

18 minutes ago, LJB said:

whatever that scale said in that instance, allowing him to weigh in in somebody else's singlet is against USAW's rules...

that is chincy, but, rules are rules...

That is true, but there are some clear practical difficulties to the application of the rule. The rule says "Officials responsible for the weigh-in must check that the wrestler’s singlet is the singlet they will use for the competition." But given that in Final X they wrestle at least twice, and they change colors, there are at least two singlets. So which one do they use? Or do they weigh in multiple times using each of their singlets? My guess is this is not that closely reviewed for anyone as long as the singlet used during the weigh in is one they might wear in competition. 

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That is true, but there are some clear practical difficulties to the application of the rule. The rule says "Officials responsible for the weigh-in must check that the wrestler’s singlet is the singlet they will use for the competition." But given that in Final X they wrestle at least twice, and they change colors, there are at least two singlets. So which one do they use? Or do they weigh in multiple times using each of their singlets? My guess is this is not that closely reviewed for anyone as long as the singlet used during the weigh in is one they might wear in competition. 

i would not disagree with that, but, clearly the singlet that JB borrowed was not his and he would not use at any point of the weekend and as such is a clear violation of the rules...

again, it is super chincy...

and for the record, just that could be the only transgression imar was whining about...

who knows...