hammerlockthree

So Burroughs Missed weight vs martinez?

3 hours ago, LJB said:

The rules have already been posted in this thread...

Not that rules seem to mean much to some of you guys...

I saw the weigh in rules.  Is there a written rule about what happens if a wrestler at final X misses weight in terms of WTT qualification? Given that USAW provided a test scale that was inaccurate, even if he were disqualified from final X, Burroughs would have likely been allowed to wrestle off for the spot at a later date.  

3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I saw the weigh in rules.  Is there a written rule about what happens if a wrestler at final X misses weight in terms of WTT qualification? Given that USAW provided a test scale that was inaccurate, even if he were disqualified from final X, Burroughs would have likely been allowed to wrestle off for the spot at a later date.  

it is clear that all wrestlers must make scratch weight with no allowance given for the singlet...

the must weigh in with "their" competition singlet...

they must not disrobe in the weigh in area...

all of these things were violated in that JB weigh in... as per the exact written rules he did not make weight and therefore did not earn the right to wrestle...

there is nothing about in there about what happens if you miss weight because everyone knows what happens... you are not allowed to wrestle...

you can try and twist that for as long as you want... it is pretty typical for you... it is a strange way to behave, but, whatever...

41 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I must be old, because the last time I weighed in, everyone but the ref was naked, there was no such thing as a "check" scale, and the official scale was a balance top.

LOL...More than once our, 'stat girls' got a surprise.

5 hours ago, LJB said:

no, it is not a fact at all...

but...

his competitors give him the side eye...

you can make up your own mind on it...

regardless...

it has been found that USAW will do some shady **** when it benefits them and most here really don't care as long as their guy comes out on top...

shady ****... like weighin in in your illegal singlet you were talking about? 

1 hour ago, LJB said:

it is clear that all wrestlers must make scratch weight with no allowance given for the singlet...

the must weigh in with "their" competition singlet...

they must not disrobe in the weigh in area...

all of these things were violated in that JB weigh in... as per the exact written rules he did not make weight and therefore did not earn the right to wrestle...

there is nothing about in there about what happens if you miss weight because everyone knows what happens... you are not allowed to wrestle...

you can try and twist that for as long as you want... it is pretty typical for you... it is a strange way to behave, but, whatever...

So in conclusion, it's not in the rules what happens if the person with the bye to final X finals misses weight.  I doubt IMAR would have been awarded the spot if JB were disqualified due to the scale confusion (they would have DQed Snyder too). They would have just wrestled at a later date rather than at Final X.  

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

So in conclusion, it's not in the rules what happens if the person with the bye to final X finals misses weight.  I doubt IMAR would have been awarded the spot if JB were disqualified due to the scale confusion (they would have DQed Snyder too). They would have just wrestled at a later date rather than at Final X.  

No... they would not have...

What they did was just say he made weight even though he did not do it per USAW rules and they wrestled anyway...

but, to be fair...

the rules do not specifically state what would happen if the competition is in June and not may...

or what would happen had their scheduled time to wrestle had been in the morning section and not the evening...

or what would have happened if JB was ladened or an unladened swallow...

but, for sure...

keep up with this silliness a little more...

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

I must be old, because the last time I weighed in, everyone but the ref was naked, there was no such thing as a "check" scale, and the official scale was a balance top.

You may be old, but you are famous. One of your messages on here was just flashed on screen in the Willie trial. Good work.

17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think USAW learned a lesson with Marable/Green a few years ago and put some rules in place.

17 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I think USAW learned a lesson with Marable/Green a few years ago and put some rules in place.

of course, after closer inspection, i am not even sure why JB bothered weighing in...

no where in the rule book does it specifically say Jordan "Ernest" Burroughs even has to weigh in... 

not one line anywhere...

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I'm curious what those are.  Do you know if it says you lose your spot if you miss weight?  Or is it a decision at the discretion of USAW?

28 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I'm curious what those are.  Do you know if it says you lose your spot if you miss weight?  Or is it a decision at the discretion of USAW?

Billy, I am not trying to be a smartass with you as you are one of the good guys. However, if you have a match scheduled and you don't make weight, then I would assume you forfeit the match and are the loser.

12 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Billy, I am not trying to be a smartass with you as you are one of the good guys. However, if you have a match scheduled and you don't make weight, then I would assume you forfeit the match and are the loser.

the rules do not specifically state that at the final x event on june 19th for the afternoon session and the 74kg weight class that a returning world medalist named jordan burroughs even has to make weight, so, if he didn't it wouldn't be any big deal and they would just reschedule...

it really is the most asinine take ever...

everyone is stupider for even responding...

It was my recollection that he weighed in wearing the singlet he was using to sweat off weight before weigh-in then switched to a dry singlet. I will take the word of others that using a borrowed singlet is a violation of the letter of the rule - and if so, IMar should have protested at the time. What I recall was that he was able to get a mulligan because he still had time for a second crack at the scale before getting DQ'd and the dry singlet (and maybe a few more minutes on a treadmill?) made the difference.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

For a tournament, sure.  But for determining who represents USA at worlds or the olympics, I find it unlikely that the person who makes weight would just be given the spot on the team, especially if the person who misses weight is a prior medalist like JB or Snyder. My guess is they would just reschedule the wrestle off to a later date. 

An example from another sport is a title fight in boxing/UFC.  If the champion misses weight, his opponent is not crowned the champion. 

Just so we can stop even entertaining this absolutely ridiculous take...

from the 2019 World Team Procedures-

ii. If the athlete earning the automatic berth fails to make weight, the winner of the World Team Trials Tournament is the 2019 USA Wrestling World Team Member.

4 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

For a tournament, sure.  But for determining who represents USA at worlds or the olympics, I find it unlikely that the person who makes weight would just be given the spot on the team, especially if the person who misses weight is a prior medalist like JB or Snyder. My guess is they would just reschedule the wrestle off to a later date. 

An example from another sport is a title fight in boxing/UFC.  If the champion misses weight, his opponent is not crowned the champion. 

I might be mistaken, but if the champions misses weight and loses the fight, the challenger becomes champ. (in the UFC)

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

This happened in 2015. short version: Marable missed the weigh-in (he claimed he was injured on the treadmill sweating off the final pounds and went to the ER) and USAW DQ'd him and named James Green the USA rep at Worlds. Marable filed a grievance, won the arbitration on the grounds that the process for determining whether his injury should excuse missing the weigh-in was vague and subjective. Then he lost to Green at the rescheduled match.