bnwtwg

Boom or bust at the senior level

I’m curious based off age-group and NCAA results who some of the boom or bust prospects  have been for the US. This would be most based on what we would expect for senior-level results based on dominance, not necessarily styles (you will know who/why in a quick minute). But think of it like fantasy football

Some booms that come to mind are Lincoln MacIlravy, Jamil Kelly, Tervel Dlagnev, Joe Williams, and Stephen Neal for various big boom reasons

Some busts are Dean Heil, TJ Williams, Eric Tannenbaum, Mike Poeta, CP Schlatter, Metcalf, and Ed Ruth

The jury is still out but not looking dicey for current competitors such as Imar, Nickal, Oliver, Retherford, Nolf, and Joseph

1 hour ago, Konquest said:

Dude Eric Tannenbaum graduated college and went to med school in Chicago, I believe.  That's not a senior level "bust".

Lol... Cornell National Champ David Hirsch is a bust then too.  He's just a world renowned facial surgeon.

35 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Lol... Cornell National Champ David Hirsch is a bust then too.  He's just a world renowned facial surgeon.

I'm a little confused.  Is Tom Cruise then a boom or bust?  What about Rachel Brosnahan?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Konquest said:

Dude Eric Tannenbaum graduated college and went to med school in Chicago, I believe.  That's not a senior level "bust".

He’s actually an Orthopedic Surgeon right down the road from me.  As my years of wrestling take a toll on my aging body I’ll take him bring  “a bust.”

Edited by MadMardigain

12 hours ago, Konquest said:

I simply meant that since he won like 7 Fargo titles and Schlatter won 5 or 6, before they ever stepped in a college room everyone expected both of them to be on multiple world teams at the conclusion of their college careers. I never said either is not a very successful person. I simply said at the senior men’s wrestling level. My bad

I really enjoy positive threads like these. Let’s refer to multi-time NCAA champions, guys that achieved more by their freshman year of high school than most of the posters on this forum did in their entire careers, busts because they didn’t win a world senior medal....

9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I simply meant that since he won like 7 Fargo titles and Schlatter won 5 or 6, before they ever stepped in a college room everyone expected both of them to be on multiple world teams at the conclusion of their college careers. I never said either is not a very successful person. I simply said at the senior men’s wrestling level. My bad

Expecting someone to be a world team member based on HS results is not a wise move.

I don't think Pat Smith, with 4X NCAA titles, ever made a world team.

not sure if Alan Fried did either

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

This was stupid for me to do. I apologize and will be taking a self-imposed exile.

Many world leaders have been exiled, including Napoleon and Wilheim II. Your successes may be closer to Wilheim at this point but make a few funny posts and this board seems to forget your transgressions. 

On 11/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, bnwtwg said:

I’m curious based off age-group and NCAA results who some of the boom or bust prospects  have been for the US. This would be most based on what we would expect for senior-level results based on dominance, not necessarily styles (you will know who/why in a quick minute). But think of it like fantasy football

Some booms that come to mind are Lincoln MacIlravy, Jamil Kelly, Tervel Dlagnev, Joe Williams, and Stephen Neal for various big boom reasons

Some busts are Dean Heil, TJ Williams, Eric Tannenbaum, Mike Poeta, CP Schlatter, Metcalf, and Ed Ruth

The jury is still out but not looking dicey for current competitors such as Imar, Nickal, Oliver, Retherford, Nolf, and Joseph

Your list of busts is terrible only the first two belong. Some of the others never wrestled international and if you made a world team you are not a bust much less if you made five of them

59 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Was MacIlravy's senior level success that surprising (assuming I understand the OP's definition of boom)?

He's not even sure.  The idea of the list wasn't really to accurately define "boom." The idea was to trash people who didn't have great international careers.