grappler6

Willie Trials

Just now, hammerlockthree said:

Here is a big surprise, Pyles told willie not to say anything that would make tOSU angry. With all the hard hitting and insightful opinion pieces over there this hardly seems possible.

Honestly, where do you think Flos bread is buttered? The access is way more valuable than any hard hitting opinion pieces. We may not like it, but Pyles and flo probably feel like they have to take that approach and they are probably right.

11 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Honestly, where do you think Flos bread is buttered? The access is way more valuable than any hard hitting opinion pieces. We may not like it, but Pyles and flo probably feel like they have to take that approach and they are probably right.

They are absolutely not right. Flo is the worlds #1 wrestling website, black balling yourself from them makes no sense. Its the fanboy culture that prevents them from saying anything interesting.

PSU is the perfect example, they hate Flo  and still get the same or better treatment than anyone else. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

They are absolutely not right. Flo is the worlds #1 wrestling website, black balling yourself from them makes no sense. Its the fanboy culture that prevents them from saying anything interesting.

PSU is the perfect example, they hate Flo anything and still get the same or better treatment than anyone else. 

Idk about you, but I only subscribe to flo for one reason and one reason only.... video content. They are a broadcasting site imo, not a news and opinion site. 

Their podcast is set up to hype events not actually offer in depth analysis of programs.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

5 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Idk about you, but I only subscribe to flo for one reason and one reason only.... video content. They are a broadcasting site imo, not a news and opinion site. 

Full agreement. I only watch or live events and archived live events.

I think they could add value if they were a opinion site, and they wouldn't lose anything because their only valuable content is the aforementioned. 

I could be wrong but when I was still living in Blacksburg, and pretty involved with the program as a fan and booster, I was told that Flo was being paid by the program to do the videos/shout outs/coverage as a marketing/recruiting tool to increase visibility of the program’s rise.

If this was true, then they wouldn’t want to step on the toes of any program that could possibly want to pay for this service. Since PSU doesn’t need it, they can shade Flo all they want.

Just now, HokieHWT said:

I could be wrong but when I was still living in Blacksburg, and pretty involved with the program as a fan and booster, I was told that Flo was being paid by the program to do the videos/shout outs/coverage as a marketing/recruiting tool to increase visibility of the program’s rise.

If this was true, then they wouldn’t want to step on the toes of any program that could possibly want to pay for this service. Since PSU doesn’t need it, they can shade Flo all they want.

Hmmm, Ive never heard that. Interesting. I do find it hard to believe an Iowa is paying. You'd think they are begging Iowa and PSU to get behind the scenes.

23 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Their podcast is set up to hype events not actually offer in depth analysis of programs.

Rokfin should call you as a witness.  Flo is trying to argue that Willie is competing with them by writing articles, and for the most part refuses to admit that their "core business" is live events, because they seemingly (as hard as they may be trying) have no evidence that Willie did anything to get events to move from Flo to Rokfin

Edited by 1032004

4 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

who told you this? Coach, Athlete? 

If its true Flo is even more annoying than I thought.

16 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I’m not going to get into detail but for a very brief time, 6 weeks or so, I was the “Associate Director” for the RTC where I was paid a percentage of the funds raised. The title was merely to make it sound like an official position but all I did was send emails to boosters. 

It didn’t last long as I was balancing a new marriage, a doctoral program, a full graduate assistantship, my coursework, publications, and empirical research. The boss man didn’t like how little I had brought in so we mutually separated, meaning he said he was “finding someone else” and I said, “sounds good”.

51 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Idk about you, but I only subscribe to flo for one reason and one reason only.... video content.

This is the problem with wrestling in general, is that people really only pay for video content.  Flo had a stranglehold on it so everything went through them, as a result they and their wrestling guys became mini celebs in this scene.  Sites like TheOpenMat have been pumping out great content for years but virtually nobody wants to pay for articles.  Track has the fantastic Andy Hamilton and still people only care about the videos they put out - when their feed screw up is when people talk about Track, 90% of Andy's articles don't get a peep of a mention on this board or social media.

I don't know how to fix the problem (and I'm only quoting your post to bring it up, not to argue anything you said) but I will say that I'm sick of the "celebrity gossip" level we're at now with wrestling where there's more discussion about the people who cover the sport than the sport itself.   Bah humbug, get off my lawn and all that...

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

It's true .I know a program who wanted Flo to come and get some content Flo wanted $750 to come

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

This is the problem with wrestling in general, is that people really only pay for video content.  Flo had a stranglehold on it so everything went through them, as a result they and their wrestling guys became mini celebs in this scene.  Sites like TheOpenMat have been pumping out great content for years but virtually nobody wants to pay for articles.  Track has the fantastic Andy Hamilton and still people only care about the videos they put out - when their feed screw up is when people talk about Track, 90% of Andy's articles don't get a peep of a mention on this board or social media.

I don't know how to fix the problem (and I'm only quoting your post to bring it up, not to argue anything you said) but I will say that I'm sick of the "celebrity gossip" level we're at now with wrestling where there's more discussion about the people who cover the sport than the sport itself.   Bah humbug, get off my lawn and all that...

Is Andy's under paywall?

Flo hasn't been paid to cover a D1 program since I've been here. At least to my knowledge. Kyle Dake: The Journey was sponsored by ASICS (part I and part II), and there may have been other vids like that, I just can't recall them right now. In the past, though, it's certainly possible that Flo asked for reimbursement to cover travel for content trips or maybe even to turn a profit, I just couldn't say. 

But yeah, we are definitely not currently pursuing a strategy of trying to make a profit in exchange for team promotion. 

What we are pursuing, however, is paying for unique, marketable content that will get wrestling fans to sign up for a Flo subscription. With that in mind, if anyone reading this has ideas or knows someone who has ideas about creating wrestling content, rankings or coverage in exchange for money, feel free to hit me up! 

6 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Flo hasn't been paid to cover a D1 program since I've been here. At least to my knowledge. Kyle Dake: The Journey was sponsored by ASICS (part I and part II), and there may have been other vids like that, I just can't recall them right now. In the past, though, it's certainly possible that Flo asked for reimbursement to cover travel for content trips or maybe even to turn a profit, I just couldn't say. 

But yeah, we are definitely not currently pursuing a strategy of trying to make a profit in exchange for team promotion. 

What we are pursuing, however, is paying for unique, marketable content that will get wrestling fans to sign up for a Flo subscription. With that in mind, if anyone reading this has ideas or knows someone who has ideas about creating wrestling content, rankings or coverage in exchange for money, feel free to hit me up! 

Thanks for the clarification. How long have you been there?

5 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Thanks for the clarification. How long have you been there?

started full-time March 2017. and to be clear, I'm not saying what you're saying didn't happen, just that its not happening now and I have no knowledge of it happening since I've been at Flo. tbh its pretty wild how quickly things change so not trying to doubt you. 

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Seems like Andy Hamilton would disagree with you - not only did he do an interview with the guy more known for "gossip" (although does have a few legit interviews as well), he appears to be happy with the status of wrestling media:

But really, people not wanting to pay for articles is not unique to wrestling.   It's pretty much why the newspaper industry is dying.  The simple answer (easier said than done of course) is to get advertisers instead of subscriptions.   Of course Flo is probably one of the only subscription models that bombards you with ads once you've already subscribed...

Just now, 1032004 said:

Of course Flo is probably one of the only subscription models that bombards you with ads once you've already subscribed...

i would contend that cable tv pioneered that model several decades ago but i appreciate your frustration with the ads and get that you mean other streaming platforms. there are no ads on my HBO and Netflix subs but I pay for the Hulu package that comes with ads. chances are probably slim that Flo's pricing model changes but i'll make a suggestion about creating a subscription tier that gets rid of ads. maybe one day! and if makes you feel any better, i can't turn the ads off either!

22 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

started full-time March 2017. and to be clear, I'm not saying what you're saying didn't happen, just that its not happening now and I have no knowledge of it happening since I've been at Flo. tbh its pretty wild how quickly things change so not trying to doubt you. 

Oh I didn’t take it that way at all. I was honestly curious when you came on board. You’ve, from what I’ve seen, always been straight and honest with the members of this board.

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Hurt someone's feelings every now and then.