Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

Ivy League just cancels all Winter Sports

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Why did you quote me on this? You off your meds? 

Not on any meds, so you can leave that off the table. I figured you to be pro lockdown, if necessary, or some such qualifier. As noted in the other thread, if I am off base on that then sorry for the misunderstanding.

There is plenty of knowledge out there for intelligent people to know where they stand by now. My "if necessary" goes all the way to the hospitals being full with patients treated "for covid", not just "with covid". Anything less than that is an over reach, imo. 

Protect the "at risk", let everyone else go about their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

 

Saw where Ezekiel Emmanuel wants to distribute the vaccine to other countries before covering the US.

You pay for it, others get the benefit first, you stay locked down. 

Happy Thanksgiving.

You honestly believe we're going to have a vaccine and give it to other countries before we give it to Americans?

What he actually said was that we shouldn't hoard the vaccine and that after we have achieved herd immunity it would benefit us to make it available to other countries to control its spread there. Covid is a global problem and letting it run rampant around the world will surely bring it to our shores again. We need to beat it everywhere.

But that doesn't fit the alt-right talking points. So by all means keep spreading lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBar1977 said:

Not on any meds, so you can leave that off the table. I figured you to be pro lockdown, if necessary, or some such qualifier. As noted in the other thread, if I am off base on that then sorry for the misunderstanding.

There is plenty of knowledge out there for intelligent people to know where they stand by now. My "if necessary" goes all the way to the hospitals being full with patients treated "for covid", not just "with covid". Anything less than that is an over reach, imo. 

Protect the "at risk", let everyone else go about their lives. 

Well I guess you misunderstood me when I said lockdowns should be a last resort. Is that too "pro-lockdown" for you? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Well I guess you misunderstood me when I said lockdowns should be a last resort. Is that too "pro-lockdown" for you? 

 

Lockdowns are always the last resort because you can't do much more than that. Of course if everybody would stop believing conspiracy theories pushed by morons and just wore masks we could save thousands of lives before the vaccine is readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

You honestly believe we're going to have a vaccine and give it to other countries before we give it to Americans?

What he actually said was that we shouldn't hoard the vaccine and that after we have achieved herd immunity it would benefit us to make it available to other countries to control its spread there. Covid is a global problem and letting it run rampant around the world will surely bring it to our shores again. We need to beat it everywhere.

But that doesn't fit the alt-right talking points. So by all means keep spreading lies.

I believe that is at least possible because Emmanuel's Fair Priority Model allows for that possibility. 

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6509/1309

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Well I guess you misunderstood me when I said lockdowns should be a last resort. Is that too "pro-lockdown" for you? 

I read that, but Governor Cuomo has said that same thing and he is quite wishy-washy in practice. The phrase "last resort" seems ambiguous and open to interpretation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

Lockdowns are always the last resort because you can't do much more than that. Of course if everybody would stop believing conspiracy theories pushed by morons and just wore masks we could save thousands of lives before the vaccine is readily available.

I believe 90+ (maybe 95+) percent of people wear masks when required. Those who don't do so span a wide range of persons most of whom are not engaged in conspiracy theories, college educated young adults being chief among them. Not everyone fits into some neat little basket as you seem to like to describe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I read that, but Governor Cuomo has said that same thing and he is quite wishy-washy in practice. The phrase "last resort" seems ambiguous and open to interpretation. 

Ok, neat. You always use non sequiturs to ramble about your political beliefs?

If hospitals cant handle the flow of patients anymore we have to consider lock downs. That is my opinion on lock downs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

You honestly believe we're going to have a vaccine and give it to other countries before we give it to Americans?

What he actually said was that we shouldn't hoard the vaccine and that after we have achieved herd immunity it would benefit us to make it available to other countries to control its spread there. Covid is a global problem and letting it run rampant around the world will surely bring it to our shores again. We need to beat it everywhere.

But that doesn't fit the alt-right talking points. So by all means keep spreading lies.

thank you for the pollical insight (sarcasm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

Lockdowns are always the last resort because you can't do much more than that. Of course if everybody would stop believing conspiracy theories pushed by morons and just wore masks we could save thousands of lives before the vaccine is readily available.

Lockdowns hurt more people than Covid....Conspiracy theories like the over 99 percent survival rate for most of the population? Thousands will be saved by rewearing the masks they hang from their rear view mirror or keep in their pocket daily? If we go into a full lockdown in January like team Biden has said  You should expect to see atleast another dozen wrestling teams hit the chopping block possibly more and with over 70 percent of Americans saying that WONT take a Covid vaccine idk how there is any end in site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not on any meds, so you can leave that off the table. I figured you to be pro lockdown, if necessary, or some such qualifier. As noted in the other thread, if I am off base on that then sorry for the misunderstanding.

There is plenty of knowledge out there for intelligent people to know where they stand by now. My "if necessary" goes all the way to the hospitals being full with patients treated "for covid", not just "with covid". Anything less than that is an over reach, imo. 

Protect the "at risk", let everyone else go about their lives. 

For once I agree with Tbar.  PA isn't all lost I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who are not "at risk" and going about their days are still spreading it to people who are at risk, since the most at risk and those less so live with each other. The reason lockdowns don't work *here* is that we also don't have the political will to have the government pay the (considerable!) cost of what is basically an economic shutdown of nonessential businesses. And mask compliance is *very* regionally variable. Cases aren't spiking in the Dakotas and Staten Island because their public transit is simply too crowded.

I've stopped blaming individuals for having terrible personal priorities, though, because the messaging from government (not only Trump, government at all levels, in states Red and Blue) is so schizophrenic and mercurial that I can't judge people for throwing up their hands and deciding that none of it makes enough sense to make individual sacrifices. Here in NYC, Cuomo and DiBlasio have been incredibly erratic about how they shift from extreme seriousness to fiddling with the closing time at bars. This is why, to be honest, I would like a broad based lockdown order from the Federal government that comes with financial support. It would at least be a clear message with a clearly stated purpose. There would no longer be a reason to connect it to the election and the words matching the actions would be useful in convincing people that the government and scientific community are in sync.

All of this is to say... I don't care about whether there is wrestling in 2021 even though I really, really wish there was wrestling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ugarte said:

People who are not "at risk" and going about their days are still spreading it to people who are at risk, since the most at risk and those less so live with each other. The reason lockdowns don't work *here* is that we also don't have the political will to have the government pay the (considerable!) cost of what is basically an economic shutdown of nonessential businesses. And mask compliance is *very* regionally variable. Cases aren't spiking in the Dakotas and Staten Island because their public transit is simply too crowded.

I've stopped blaming individuals for having terrible personal priorities, though, because the messaging from government (not only Trump, government at all levels, in states Red and Blue) is so schizophrenic and mercurial that I can't judge people for throwing up their hands and deciding that none of it makes enough sense to make individual sacrifices. Here in NYC, Cuomo and DiBlasio have been incredibly erratic about how they shift from extreme seriousness to fiddling with the closing time at bars. This is why, to be honest, I would like a broad based lockdown order from the Federal government that comes with financial support. It would at least be a clear message with a clearly stated purpose. There would no longer be a reason to connect it to the election and the words matching the actions would be useful in convincing people that the government and scientific community are in sync.

All of this is to say... I don't care about whether there is wrestling in 2021 even though I really, really wish there was wrestling.

To your first point if you live with someone that’s high risk then more likely your already taking the proper precautions if 80 % of people are fine and 20 percent are vulnerable you don’t lockdown the 80 percent you take precautions for the 20% it’s absurd to shape the world for the 20 % ....A federal lockdown order with financial support? So you want to force like 80 percent of people’s work places to shut down then have the government fully cover the lose of wages for all those employees and business owners while everyone sits in their homes and what , cops or military patrolling the streets to enforce the lockdown? With all business shuttered, where is the government getting the billions of dollars it would take to keep all these people level? And what about the people that live week to week, paycheck to paycheck, they can’t afford to buy 3 weeks of food, 6 weeks of food at a time..Like we saw with the first lockdown we had 100,000s of businesses are closed for good, those jobs gone forever, while every big time business has made Billions more . Any lockdown wouldn’t be to “help the vulnerable” it would be because big corporations own our government (both parties)  and lockdowns make them even richer and make the everyday citizen more dependent on the government, which in turn gives them more power 

If we lose the 2021 season and go into a national lockdown you can kiss wrestling as we know it goodbye. On all levels there will be big loses in programs, funding, coaching salaries, sure some big time places will keep it rolling but your seriously looking at losing a massive amount of small schools. It would be devastating to wrestling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...