Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
moveurfeet32

Ivy League just cancels all Winter Sports

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Lockdowns hurt more people than Covid....Conspiracy theories like the over 99 percent survival rate for most of the population? Thousands will be saved by rewearing the masks they hang from their rear view mirror or keep in their pocket daily? If we go into a full lockdown in January like team Biden has said  You should expect to see atleast another dozen wrestling teams hit the chopping block possibly more and with over 70 percent of Americans saying that WONT take a Covid vaccine idk how there is any end in site. 

There is a lot of wrong there but I'll just pick out two things:

1. Staying home for a month is not as bad as dying or ending up with chronic heart or lung damage from Covid.

2. Nobody saves themselves by wearing a mask, it saves others. This is important because this has been known for at least six months but somehow people keep pretending that it's not the case. It's probably a good idea to wash your mask periodically but it won't save you if there is somebody w/ Covid breathing on you w/o a mask,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Saw where Ezekiel Emmanuel wants to distribute the vaccine to other countries before covering the US.

"Ezekiel Choke" on the populace!

I'm guessing Emmanuel is a no-gi guy, because it can be hit from top or bottom that way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

2. Nobody saves themselves by wearing a mask, it saves others. This is important because this has been known for at least six months but somehow people keep pretending that it's not the case. It's probably a good idea to wash your mask periodically but it won't save you if there is somebody w/ Covid breathing on you w/o a mask,

The CDC has updated it's guidance and now claims that there is sufficient evidence that mask-wearing is sufficiently preventative to benefit the wearer as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ugarte said:

The CDC has updated it's guidance and now claims that there is sufficient evidence that mask-wearing is sufficiently preventative to benefit the wearer as well.

I saw that but I think they said it's still more important to wear it to protect others. It's awesome if it helps the wearer at all though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

To your first point if you live with someone that’s high risk then more likely your already taking the proper precautions if 80 % of people are fine and 20 percent are vulnerable you don’t lockdown the 80 percent you take precautions for the 20% it’s absurd to shape the world for the 20 % ....A federal lockdown order with financial support? So you want to force like 80 percent of people’s work places to shut down then have the government fully cover the lose of wages for all those employees and business owners while everyone sits in their homes and what , cops or military patrolling the streets to enforce the lockdown? With all business shuttered, where is the government getting the billions of dollars it would take to keep all these people level? And what about the people that live week to week, paycheck to paycheck, they can’t afford to buy 3 weeks of food, 6 weeks of food at a time..Like we saw with the first lockdown we had 100,000s of businesses are closed for good, those jobs gone forever, while every big time business has made Billions more . Any lockdown wouldn’t be to “help the vulnerable” it would be because big corporations own our government (both parties)  and lockdowns make them even richer and make the everyday citizen more dependent on the government, which in turn gives them more power 

If we lose the 2021 season and go into a national lockdown you can kiss wrestling as we know it goodbye. On all levels there will be big loses in programs, funding, coaching salaries, sure some big time places will keep it rolling but your seriously looking at losing a massive amount of small schools. It would be devastating to wrestling.

I don’t know what planet you’re from but in my world 20% of the population is a crapload. I’ve said before that in NJ 16% of our deaths have been between the ages of 50-64.  Whether you like it or not we are all in this together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

 

If we lose the 2021 season and go into a national lockdown you can kiss wrestling as we know it goodbye. On all levels there will be big loses in programs, funding, coaching salaries, sure some big time places will keep it rolling but your seriously looking at losing a massive amount of small schools. It would be devastating to wrestling.

Which are you saying is worse for wrestling, losing the 2021 season or going into a national lockdown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Which are you saying is worse for wrestling, losing the 2021 season or going into a national lockdown?

Losing 2021 will hurt and we’ll lose some programs but no 2021 and national lockdown will be a death blow to a large number of programs and really hurt the sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RichB said:

Stepping aside of all the Politics, is there any reason why we could not Start the season the day we would expect to end it March 20. At least there should not be that many conflicts over facility use.

Won't happen.  Guys have to decide if they wish to enroll in the spring semester.  If they do and there is no season, they have lost a year of eligibility in the Ivy League (unless they change their "four years" rule, which they haven't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody surprised that a league of liberal higher leaning indoctrination camps are the first to cancel. The Big 5 will move on... hell it might be widdled down to men’s BBall only, but these other schools and the NCAA need that tournament TV contract money. It’s was a no brainer for a room full of pencil neck geeks... 

Changing the 4 year rule is a pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 9insoft said:

Is anybody surprised that a league of liberal higher leaning indoctrination camps are the first to cancel. The Big 5 will move on... hell it might be widdled down to men’s BBall only, but these other schools and the NCAA need that tournament TV contract money. It’s was a no brainer for a room full of pencil neck geeks... 

Changing the 4 year rule is a pipe dream.

Liberal higher learning indoctrination camps?  You mean the smartest people in the country?  Yeah...I’ll go with the smart people’s opinion where somewhere along the line they actually learned to think critically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am posting this as a small business owner who barely survived NJ's  Lock Down earlier this year.

I have a small  engineering/surveying company.

We were classified an "Essential Business".

So we were allowed to operate during the Lock Down.

Problem was,most of our clients were forced to shut down.

We saw virtually no new business ,and spent most of our time 

finishing up existing projects.

I had to furlough all of my employees.

75% worked reduced hours.

The remaining 25% were furloughed completely.

The thing people don't seem to understand about a lock down is

that,when it ends,things don't go right back to normal.

It took several weeks till we saw any indication of things picking up.

We're still not close  to normal.

We have brought back all our employees.

But only 25% are full time.

The remainder are on reduced hours,for  the foreseeable future.

Another full lock down,will most likely mean shutting the doors.

 

 

Edited by rpbobcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Losing 2021 will hurt and we’ll lose some programs but no 2021 and national lockdown will be a death blow to a large number of programs and really hurt the sport. 

Ok so you’re more referring to another lockdown then, which I’d agree with but don’t think will happen, but who knows.

The biggest factor for whether more teams get cut IMO is to what extent there is a basketball season, which I have seen no indication they won’t have, although of course fans will be limited.  There may also be a few more announced later while still blaming last year’s March Madness getting cancelled or reduced revenue from this year’s football season though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, the Ivy League had already cancelled fall sports and yet several others in addition to football are being played, right?  This sucks obviously, but I’m not sure this is necessarily an indication of what many other schools/conferences will do

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I am posting this as a small business owner who barely survived NJ's  Lock Down earlier this year.

I have a small  engineering/surveying company.

We were classified an "Essential Business".

So we were allowed to operate during the Lock Down.

Problem was,most of our clients were forced to shut down.

We saw virtually no new business ,and spent most of our time 

finishing up existing projects.

I had to furlough all of my employees.

75% worked reduced hours.

The remaining 25% were furloughed completely.

The thing people don't seem to understand about a lock down is

that,when it ends,things don't go right back to normal.

It took several weeks till we saw any indication of things picking up.

We're still not close  to normal.

We have brought back all our employees.

But only 25% are full time.

The remainder are on reduced hours,for  the foreseeable future.

Another full lock down,will most likely mean shutting the doors.

 

 

That’s an awful situation you’re in, I’m truly sorry to hear that. I left a job the end of January for a position that was rescinded when the pandemic started shutting down colleges and universities. I was unemployed until mid-July when I was approached about consulting. Now I’m making 4-8x times my previous hourly salary, depending on how much effort I want to put in, working 15-20 hours a week as a consultant. Some fields are seeing record growth and profits, others not so much. Hopefully it all goes back to normal, but I’ve been saying that for months now.

Edited by HokieHWT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9insoft said:

Is anybody surprised that a league of liberal higher leaning indoctrination camps are the first to cancel. The Big 5 will move on... hell it might be widdled down to men’s BBall only, but these other schools and the NCAA need that tournament TV contract money. It’s was a no brainer for a room full of pencil neck geeks... 

Changing the 4 year rule is a pipe dream.

Troll.  At least they know how to spell.

Oh, and about that four year rule?

 

Quote

Winter and fall sport student-athletes will not lose a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year of undergraduate education at their home institution, if permitted, or as a graduate student elsewhere will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

No Cornell. Princeton. Penn and the rest of Ivy League schools...Not good...No word from the new Cornell site about pretty important news

To be honest, I wasn't in a rush to report this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I am posting this as a small business owner who barely survived NJ's  Lock Down earlier this year.

I have a small  engineering/surveying company.

We were classified an "Essential Business".

So we were allowed to operate during the Lock Down.

Problem was,most of our clients were forced to shut down.

We saw virtually no new business ,and spent most of our time 

finishing up existing projects.

I had to furlough all of my employees.

75% worked reduced hours.

The remaining 25% were furloughed completely.

The thing people don't seem to understand about a lock down is

that,when it ends,things don't go right back to normal.

It took several weeks till we saw any indication of things picking up.

We're still not close  to normal.

We have brought back all our employees.

But only 25% are full time.

The remainder are on reduced hours,for  the foreseeable future.

Another full lock down,will most likely mean shutting the doors.

 

 

We wouldn't need a "lockdown" if the knuckleheads in NJ (where I live) would follow the rules.  But no, they have to have their parties, and their bars and restaurants , and go around with their masks (when they wear them) like chinstraps.

If only we had a social net system and any political will to support businesses such as yours when we need to restrict social engagement.  But this isn't Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

BTW, the Ivy League had already cancelled fall sports and yet several others in addition to football are being played, right?  This sucks obviously, but I’m not sure this is necessarily an indication of what many other schools/conferences will do

They now dropped the idea of moving fall sports to the spring, too.  That was an option, but no longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would wager most other programs will follow suit with the Ivies.  Eventually enough teams will cancel that it won't make sense for the small group of remaining teams to move forward with their seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RED said:

I would wager most other programs will follow suit with the Ivies.  Eventually enough teams will cancel that it won't make sense for the small group of remaining teams to move forward with their seasons.

Oh, please.  Nobody follows the lead set by the Ivy League.  Just look at the basketball season last year.  Oh, wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klehner said:

Troll.  At least they know how to spell.

Oh, and about that four year rule?

 

 

It’s Dad Troll....that’s nice on the 4 year rule... heck might get to see the boy holding a baby during a NCAA Tournament interview at this rate...

Bottom line this is an over reaction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

There is a lot of wrong there but I'll just pick out two things:

1. Staying home for a month is not as bad as dying or ending up with chronic heart or lung damage from Covid.

2. Nobody saves themselves by wearing a mask, it saves others. This is important because this has been known for at least six months but somehow people keep pretending that it's not the case. It's probably a good idea to wash your mask periodically but it won't save you if there is somebody w/ Covid breathing on you w/o a mask,

This is incorrect. Wearing a mask not only decreases the likelihood that you yourself will be infected (although doesn't eliminate it entirely), it also decreases the likelihood that the infection will be catastrophic by limiting the initial viral load if you do happen to get infected.  The rumor that masks only protect others is unfortunately too widespread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, klehner said:

We wouldn't need a "lockdown" if the knuckleheads in NJ (where I live) would follow the rules.  But no, they have to have their parties, and their bars and restaurants , and go around with their masks (when they wear them) like chinstraps.

If only we had a social net system and any political will to support businesses such as yours when we need to restrict social engagement.  But this isn't Germany.

Holy crap...there it is...those darn bars and restaurants...they are the root cause of it all...SHUT THEM DOWN!!  But make sure we leave the Walmart's and Home Depot's open.  Don't stop the protests/looters/rioters.  Keep them grocery stores, casino's and strip clubs open.  But again shut those damn bars and restaurants down!!!!

Please...PLEASE...for the love of God someone show me ANY evidence that less people are wearing masks now than in March.  And please...PLEASE...show me the DATA (not inferences and opinions by someone who happens to have a PhD after their name) how masks are working to reduce the spread...I'll wait....

And I love the fact that you literally are suggesting we have a socialist system in this country...SMH...please leave and find a socialist country to live in and leave ours alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is incorrect. Wearing a mask not only decreases the likelihood that you yourself will be infected (although doesn't eliminate it entirely), it also decreases the likelihood that the infection will be catastrophic by limiting the initial viral load if you do happen to get infected.  The rumor that masks only protect others is unfortunately too widespread.  

True that incorrect but it was not a rumor.  This is what the scientific experts said was the case, however, we now have new research showing that it provides some protection for the wearer.  Of course such research is assuming wearing masks properly.  Watch the sideline of a college football game (or video of Biden) the misuse of mask wearing in such is an indication of whats going on in the real world, I'd estimate 30% when wearing are not wearing properly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...