Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Pico beheading people tonight

36 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Nice punch but the guy he fought is slightly over .500 against a bunch of slightly over/under .500 fighters. Another softball for Pico.

Yeah agreed they tried giving fights that would have expedited his climbing of the ladder but he lost a few of those. Now they are trying to build him back up. 

4 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Yeah agreed they tried giving fights that would have expedited his climbing of the ladder but he lost a few of those. Now they are trying to build him back up. 

Which is fine, no shame in that, but I’ve seen a lot of “he’s back” or “here he comes” on other forums from wrestling fans.

Pico is killed or be killed so far.  He's definitely due to fight someone who is top 10 now.  I'm glad he got some fights in to help groom him a bit but he shouldn't keep fighting guys at that level.  I think he started to yell "1-4" or something like that because the other guy's corner was yelling it (or his own).  Not cool to talk trash like that right after but that adrenaline rush is probably out of this world and tough to control.  Did I hear Pico apologize and say that was out of character?  There was a little audio of that but I couldn't tell.  

18 hours ago, Glane18 said:

Pico is killed or be killed so far.  He's definitely due to fight someone who is top 10 now.  I'm glad he got some fights in to help groom him a bit but he shouldn't keep fighting guys at that level.  I think he started to yell "1-4" or something like that because the other guy's corner was yelling it (or his own).  Not cool to talk trash like that right after but that adrenaline rush is probably out of this world and tough to control.  Did I hear Pico apologize and say that was out of character?  There was a little audio of that but I couldn't tell.  

Maybe my ignorance... but what does 1-4 mean here? 

Edited by backpack

14 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

1-4 means jab and uppercut

1-4, traditionally, is jab-rear hook, although it can vary from coach to coach depending on the versatility of the fighter. A newer boxer may only have 4 punches, where a vet maybe know all 10.  

10 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

1-4, traditionally, is jab-rear hook, although it can vary from coach to coach depending on the versatility of the fighter. A newer boxer may only have 4 punches, where a vet maybe know all 10.  

I was paraphrasing Pico from his post fight interview:

Edited by CA_Wrestler
Typo

4 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Wondering if MMA has been the financially awarding thing that Pico thought it would be?

I’ve seen his net worth estimates range from 1 - 40 million. I’m sure the 40 million is real high and based on projections, and the 1 is maybe a little low and leaving out some endorsement/sponsorship details (although I’d guess it’s closer to 1 than 40). Either way, considering many are six figures deep in college debt at 24...it’s not working out too bad. 

7 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Wondering if MMA has been the financially awarding thing that Pico thought it would be?

He is now 10 fights in and has been fighting professionally for 3 1/2 years. I'd be surprised if he isn't disappointed in all facets of his career at this point.  He should fight Caldwell now.  

46 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

He is now 10 fights in and has been fighting professionally for 3 1/2 years. I'd be surprised if he isn't disappointed in all facets of his career at this point.  He should fight Caldwell now.  

Well, the USA has gone 3-5 at his weight since 2016.. I'd say a 7-3 record with college paid for, a Nike shoe deal, and a lot more gas in the tank ain't too much of a disappointment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, moodybooty said:

Well, the USA has gone 3-5 at his weight since 2016.. I'd say a 7-3 record with college paid for, a Nike shoe deal, and a lot more gas in the tank ain't too much of a disappointment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I speculated he thought he would be further along at this point.  Do you disagree?  I anticipated a quick ascension to a title fight. 

I am curious what an MMA shoe looks like!

As far as USAW @65 goes - I suppose he is disappointed along with everybody else.

13 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I speculated he thought he would be further along at this point.  Do you disagree?  I anticipated a quick ascension to a title fight. 

As far as USAW @65 goes - I suppose he is disappointed along with everybody else.

That’s fair, I first read that as him having a disappointing career instead of just being underwhelming so far. That’s my bad!

I think all things considered, he’s about where he should be as a seasoned amateur finally going pro. His trajectory looks a lot like young boxers that have 300 fights by the time they’re 18 and have to get a bit used to fighting grown folks before they acclimate. He’ll be aight. 

as for the shoe deal - i think it’s for training shoes only, so definitely not as cool as Zahid or Snyder getting a whole shoe.. but a nice thing to put in a Twitter bio or a CV

On 11/23/2020 at 7:04 PM, Plasmodium said:

I think that when he started 3.5 years ago he also thought he'd be further along at this point.  However, he was humbled early on and was a true martial artist and accepted where he was at as a professional fighter (based on what I've seen).  He had some good fighters with a lot of fights early on, but then everybody realized that he needed to be groomed a little bit more.  From what I've seen in interviews and training is that he's focusing on his own process right now and isn't disappointed or anything like that.  It seems like he's over the past and is focusing on the next fight.  I hope he gets a top 10 fighter soon so we can all see where he's at.  

8 hours ago, Glane18 said:

I think that when he started 3.5 years ago he also thought he'd be further along at this point.  However, he was humbled early on and was a true martial artist and accepted where he was at as a professional fighter (based on what I've seen).  He had some good fighters with a lot of fights early on, but then everybody realized that he needed to be groomed a little bit more.  From what I've seen in interviews and training is that he's focusing on his own process right now and isn't disappointed or anything like that.  It seems like he's over the past and is focusing on the next fight.  I hope he gets a top 10 fighter soon so we can all see where he's at.  

Yeah, he is definitely moving forward.  I'd like to see him step up as well.  I do feel he and Caldwell would be a good fight.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I do feel he and Caldwell would be a good fight.

He’s coming off a quick sub loss a week ago, but still considered one of the higher ranked guys at his weight.  Pico will have to beat a couple more people to likely reach that fight. 

Edited by MadMardigain