RoosterAttack

Ivy league seniors

1 minute ago, RoosterAttack said:

How many kids careers are now over for there Ivy league schools since they cant wrestle post grad? Any chance we see a huge transfer next semester/ year of these athletes? Figure someone might know a list of these kids, idk just some food for thought.

I expect a lot of kids to take the spring semester off.  

36 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

I expect a lot of kids to take the spring semester off.  

I’d be willing to bet most Ivy wrestlers don’t attend those schools to become AAs. They use their athletic ability to relax admission standards to get into these schools, not much more than that.

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

I’d be willing to bet most Ivy wrestlers don’t attend those schools to become AAs. They use their athletic ability to relax admission standards to get into these schools, not much more than that.

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

100% correct 

3 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Can't the same thing be said about most College athletes period? Most athletes across the board don't go on to become AA's and they all use their athletic ability to help get into college...

39 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Can't the same thing be said about most College athletes period? Most athletes across the board don't go on to become AA's and they all use their athletic ability to help get into college...

I’d say some, not most. Looking at the majors of D-I athletes will tell you about what their ultimate goal in higher education is. IMO, Ivy League is a different breed of student athlete. They aren’t, for the most part, blue chippers. It’s all about what they get in return, an education and connections for the future. That is the only thing Ivy coaches can sell without scholarship money.

”yeah you’ll have debt but our alumni network will hire you at above market rate so it’s a wash in the end”.

5 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

5 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

100% correct 

Seems more like 200% correct!

11 hours ago, RoosterAttack said:

How many kids careers are now over for there Ivy league schools since they cant wrestle post grad? Any chance we see a huge transfer next semester/ year of these athletes? Figure someone might know a list of these kids, idk just some food for thought.

Saw a couple of on-line articles which said the Ivy League was  looking into granting an extra year of eligibility to under graduates and

relaxing rules on red shirts and graduate students competing.

Didn't see any specifics yet.

11 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Half the Cornell roster is at your door right now. They want to talk.

16 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

We already know Ivy League wrestlers take time off.  We see if every year.  I can think of instances from Cornell, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Harvard, and Penn.  

That’s why we have the term grey shirt.  

That’s why there is so much talk about TC3, a community college, that dropped wrestling 15 years ago, on these boards.

And there is even more justification now to take the time off with so much remote instruction.  

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

Hate to break it to you BUT the Ivy League is more than Cornell and their loopholes.

Just giving you a hard time...but your point holds less true for wrestling than for other ivy league sports. There's been recurring AAs at Cornell and Princeton some contenders at Harvard and Penn as well. Outside of lacrosse, not sure any other ivy league sports can say that.

Just now, Fletcher said:

Just giving you a hard time...but your point holds less true for wrestling than for other ivy league sports. There's been recurring AAs at Cornell and Princeton some contenders at Harvard and Penn as well. Outside of lacrosse, not sure any other ivy league sports can say that.

Oh I know you were, hence my “witty” come back, or something, IDK, I didn’t go to an Ivy.

17 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The men's and women's ice hockey teams would like a word with you.  At least at Cornell.

Edited by klehner

9 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Saw a couple of on-line articles which said the Ivy League was  looking into granting an extra year of eligibility to under graduates and

relaxing rules on red shirts and graduate students competing.

Didn't see any specifics yet.

"Winter and fall sport student-athletes will not lose a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year of undergraduate education at their home institution, if permitted, or as a graduate student elsewhere will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date."

Greyshirting refers to taking a year off from school before enrolling at a college.  Ivyshirting refers to taking semesters off to spread four competition seasons over five college seasons; the first Ivy student I recall doing this was a Harvard wrestler.  Those who do both are Grevyshirts.

Many Ivy wrestlers take a year off from school, some as part of their education; even if they're not solid A/A candidates it doesn't lessen their commitment to wrestling.  The question is whether the Ivy League will allow students to take two years off, spreading the four seasons of competition over six years.  I had thought that the Ivies required students to graduate in eight not-necessarily-consecutive semesters; the five-year limit being imposed by the NCAA.  If the NCAA will now allow six years, is there an existing Ivy policy that contradicts this?  If there isn't, why would an Ivy athlete transfer out?  They don't have the worry that their scholarship money will go to someone else.

Edited by jdalu75

10 hours ago, klehner said:

"Winter and fall sport student-athletes will not lose a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year of undergraduate education at their home institution, if permitted, or as a graduate student elsewhere will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date."

Where is this from?  So Ivy League student athletes can go to school this year and not lose a season of Ivy League athletic eligibility?  Why does it say “if permitted”?

Edit:  I do also think we eventually see a bunch of grad transfers (like Brucki did).

Edited by 1032004

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Where is this from?  So Ivy League student athletes can go to school this year and not lose a season of Ivy League athletic eligibility?  Why does it say “if permitted”?

Edit:  I do also think we eventually see a bunch of grad transfers (like Brucki did).

This is the official statement by the Ivy League regarding suspension of winter sports.  The "permitted" might apply to schools that have more restrictive policies on competition and years at school, but I'm guessing.

16 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Greyshirting refers to taking a year off from school before enrolling at a college.  Ivyshirting refers to taking semesters off to spread four competition seasons over five college seasons; the first Ivy student I recall doing this was a Harvard wrestler.  Those who do both are Grevyshirts.

Many Ivy wrestlers take a year off from school, some as part of their education; even if they're not solid A/A candidates it doesn't lessen their commitment to wrestling.  The question is whether the Ivy League will allow students to take two years off, spreading the four seasons of competition over six years.  I had thought that the Ivies required students to graduate in eight not-necessarily-consecutive semesters; the five-year limit being imposed by the NCAA.  If the NCAA will now allow six years, is there an existing Ivy policy that contradicts this?  If there isn't, why would an Ivy athlete transfer out?  They don't have the worry that their scholarship money will go to someone else.

I knew a guy at Cornell that did it in the early 80's.  Unfortunately did not reap any benefits for his efforts...

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

they wouldn't lose a year of ivy eligibility but... as it stands that extra year wouldn't matter if they graduate since despite the rumors there has been no announcement about relaxing grad student eligibility.

1 hour ago, RED said:

I knew a guy at Cornell that did it in the early 80's.  Unfortunately did not reap any benefits for his efforts...

In the 90's Cornell had two running backs do this. McNiff and Oliaro IIRC. 

21 minutes ago, ugarte said:

they wouldn't lose a year of ivy eligibility but... as it stands that extra year wouldn't matter if they graduate since despite the rumors there has been no announcement about relaxing grad student eligibility.

Understood, but they could take classes part time or something this year right?

Edited by 1032004