nhs67

RTC Cup

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I agree with this.

Gwiz was outdone the way he has been outdoing most our domestic best the last four years.  Tactical.

I'm a Gable fan but would this match have possibly been different if Gwiz hadn't had to wrestle Parris beforehand?

10 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm a Gable fan but would this match have possibly been different if Gwiz hadn't had to wrestle Parris beforehand?

They wrestle the matches they're given.

While it will be a tournament style come April, that doesn't change this result.

19 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I’m going to catch the replay later, but I’m assuming a few wrestlers ended up doing better than the assumed result. 

Maybe...

and this was a pretty entertaining event to watch...

but, the only other matches that had any real interest past this event were lightweight matches that would not have taken place without +3kg...

8 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

After Day 1:  Who has been the most impressive?

I have to go with Karchla.  I think a lot of people knew this was possible but probably didn't think this soon.  Interested to see him against Massa.  I was hearing this summer that he wanted to do 174 and the OSU staff wanted him at 165.  I thought (and voiced on here) that he is a title contender at 174 and 3rd or 4th best at 165.  I now reason to believe that he is a title contender at either weight and he said in an interview that it's probably 165.  Also very impressed with Yianni teching Sasso and beating Green but he was already a known commodity.

2 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

I have to go with Karchla.  I think a lot of people knew this was possible but probably didn't think this soon.  Interested to see him against Massa.  I was hearing this summer that he wanted to do 174 and the OSU staff wanted him at 165.  I thought (and voiced on here) that he is a title contender at 174 and 3rd or 4th best at 165.  I now reason to believe that he is a title contender at either weight and he said in an interview that it's probably 165.  Also very impressed with Yianni teching Sasso and beating Green but he was already a known commodity.

The thing I worry about with Kharchla is he is pretty short for his weight which would  be even more magnified at 174. I've also heard he doesn't have to cut weight or not much to get to 165. I also don't think he will go up because of Kaleb Romero and Ethan Smith.

35 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

The thing I worry about with Kharchla is he is pretty short for his weight which would  be even more magnified at 174. I've also heard he doesn't have to cut weight or not much to get to 165. I also don't think he will go up because of Kaleb Romero and Ethan Smith.

Keep in mind yesterday he weighed in at 77 kg (169.8lbs).

I'm of the mind that Smith and Romero are comparable at worst.  165 was hella deep last year, whereas 174 was not.  So let Kharchla go whatever weight he earns the spot at.  If Smith has to challenge Romero for the 174 spot or Romero challenge Rocky for the 184 spot, so be it.  Smith fir the 184 spot deserves mention as well, I suppose.

If Smith was at all worried about starting at 165, or 174 for that matter, he would have started some sort of plan to decend to 157 or bulk to 184.  He hasn't and to me that speaks volumes for a guy who started his career at 184 and decended to 165 last season.  He is comfortable.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Keep in mind yesterday he weighed in at 77 kg (169.8lbs).

I'm of the mind that Smith and Romero are comparable at worst.  165 was hella deep last year, whereas 174 was not.  So let Kharchla go whatever weight he earns the spot at.  If Smith has to challenge Romero for the 174 spot or Romero challenge Rocky for the 184 spot, so be it.  Smith fir the 184 spot deserves mention as well, I suppose.

If Smith was at all worried about starting at 165, or 174 for that matter, he would have started some sort of plan to decend to 157 or bulk to 184.  He hasn't and to me that speaks volumes for a guy who started his career at 184 and decended to 165 last season.  He is comfortable.

74+3 was the weight allotment. How do you know he used all of it?

Just now, DocBZ said:

74+3 was the weight allotment. How do you know he used all of it?

How do you know he didn't?

This isn't JB coming up after a career at 74kg to 185 on a couple week's notice, or a heavyweight match.  They weigh in at their tolerances at this level.  It is much safer to assume every single person aside for the heavies weighed in at their limits, with the exception to those coming up in weight from this last college or international seasons.

So that leaves the list, in my mind-keep in mind I can have a differing opinion than you, as quite short for those who may not have exhausted their weight requirements:

ORTC: Kollin Moore

CKWC: Malik Amine, Tim Dudley

GWC: Mitch McKee, Devin Skatzka

Also by looking at him, I don't think Trent Hidlay cuts any weight to make 189.6lbs (86kgs) let alone 196.2lbs (89kgs) for the RTC Cup, here.

Then there are the heavyweights.  Coon, Bradley, and Nelson are the only three I believe did not weigh comfortably under the 282.2lbs (128kgs) limit.

Weight classes exist for a reason.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

How do you know he didn't?

This isn't JB coming up after a career at 74kg to 185 on a couple week's notice, or a heavyweight match.  They weigh in at their tolerances at this level.  It is much safer to assume every single person aside for the heavies weighed in at their limits, with the exception to those coming up in weight from this last college or international seasons.

So that leaves the list, in my mind-keep in mind I can have a differing opinion than you, as quite short for those who may not have exhausted their weight requirements:

ORTC: Kollin Moore

CKWC: Malik Amine, Tim Dudley

GWC: Mitch McKee, Devin Skatzka

Also by looking at him, I don't think Trent Hidlay cuts any weight to make 189.6lbs (86kgs) let alone 196.2lbs (89kgs) for the RTC Cup, here.

Then there are the heavyweights.  Coon, Bradley, and Nelson are the only three I believe did not weigh comfortably under the 282.2lbs (128kgs) limit.

Weight classes exist for a reason.

Because I have heard multiple times n the past that he doesn't have to cut to get to 165. I know nothing about the other guys but I've followed Carson for a long time even before he was on the radar of many college teams.

Edited by DocBZ

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Doubt it.

LOL you have no clue. You said "Keep in mind yesterday he weighed in at 77 kg (169.8lbs)" as if this was fact. Then when I asked you how you know this you said you didn't.

Edited by DocBZ

Just now, DocBZ said:

LOL you have no clue

So he weighed in under 165 and bumped to 174 for the Purple Raider Open in January?  Got it.  I'm happy to know that we have such wise and smart individuals over here, such as you, Dr. BZ.