nom

Scoring - lack of clarity stinks

On the Burroughs / Zahid card, multiple times when a flurry resulted in a score that confused the broadcasters and myself.  

I wish there was some group that was willing to review many tough calls and break them down, with the rule book out, and explain in detail how the move should be scored.  

seems like this should be standard ref training ... standard videos.  I bet they are out there.  Are they?  

If they are and Flo could make appropriate ones available whenever there is a confusing controversy — they would provide even more value.  

another good approach ... further simplify the scoring rules.

Edited by nom

Not many tough things to call to be honest. The trickiest i would say is the push out/grounded calls. I think they have to be more consistent. Some push from the middle out and get a point, some droop right on the line and go out and no point. Needs to be more consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There seems to be frequent problems with the score on the board being incorrect. The announcers buy into the score being right and confusion abounds from that point until the score is corrected. I've seen this in event after event where Bader and Pyles announce.

Really only two calls jumped out at me. The first was the attempted crotch lift by Henderson. Echemendia did nothing but avoid going to his back and was rewarded with points even though Henderson initiated the move and ended up on top. The second was a grounded call in the Burroughs match where it seemed like Valencia was being rewarded for wrestling on his knees, which isn’t supposed to happen.

I watched a lot of Juniors this weekend, and the calls that seem most confusing to me are when takedowns are combined with exposure. Feet to back doesn’t seem consistently scored. In one match, Zach Elam whipped over from kneeling/standing sprawl and spent 20 seconds trying to pin but time ran out. 2 points. Or sometimes that’s 3, or even 4, depending on something that seems subjective. If that is the right call, no thanks. How that’s the same as a questionable crotch lift while getting taken down, I can’t figure. It seems like there are a lot of situations where the wrestlers themselves don’t know how it will be scored. That’s problematic I would think.