Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

The Stieber Ramos controversy explanation

Just got home from Des Moines, watching replay of the finals. I got to meet Logan at the NWHOF, been a big fan of his since. I had the 2nd pick in my fantasy league and chose him. Ramos should have been given a 2 point nearfall, but there wasn't a pin.

Just to play devil's advocate - this doesn't affect the argument of "was it or was it not" 2 NF at all.

1. Whether the ref calls the NF or not - it can still be argued that it should have been or should not have been NF.

2. Even if the ref did, for a second, signal he was holding 2NF...remember that this entire sequence was 3 seconds long - and he is allowed to wave a call off - which he obviously did with the "back and forth" signal he gave about a second later.

Looking at photos for this argument is just totally and completely misleading. The whole thing was so quick...watch it at real time and argue from that basis.

It's difficult to hone in on the few seconds involved but what I see is Hagerty 's swipe with his left hand (wrong color for Ramos but...) being the takedown call and then a partial swipe with his right hand looking for a nf followed by a back and forth with his right hand indicating it wasn't there.

Ugh, who CARES about the 2 points, really. Logan was waxing that azz 5-1 when this happened, and showed no signs of slowin down. Geez, i wish they just gave him the dam 2 points so Logan could have gotten up and just got yet ANOTHER takedown and more ride time. Ramos had a grand total of 1 takedown against Logan in 4 matches...he now has 2 takedowns in 5 losses against Logan. Closing the gap? Sorry but that gap has widened even more after that last match. Logan got a bit greedy and paid for it, period. He wanted a major and was too stubborn to give up a single takedown that he made a bad move. He dominated up to the slip up, and dominated after.

I for one am getting a bit tired of the Stieber vs Ramos matches. Rivalries r only rivalries when BOTH wrestlers have wins over the other. At least 1 or 2 geez. Its the same ol thing every time, a one sided match where everyone knows what the outcome is going to be. Ramos needs to pray long n hard for Logan to bump up next year. I fear 3 more losses against Stieber would land Tony in the psych ward.

c6b4a0d0-7794-4ae8-9f36-a947dd5d1f90.jpg

The first circle on the left is the camera. The second circle is BRands legs. Unless Terry is capable of magic, he was not in front of the camera at the relevant time. He jumped out after Logan was off his back

On the ESPN shot, there was absolutely nothing between the camera and the two wrestlers. We were looking right at Stiber' s butt on his back. Clear as a bell. And it was hard to count in slow-mo ... He was flat for sure, yet it was hard to say how long. I got to about 1 1/2 also ...

Clear as a bell. And it was hard to count in slow-mo ... He was flat for sure, yet it was hard to say how long. I got to about 1 1/2 also ...

True Brands isn't there yet but look at the ref . He is in direct path of the camera. When you watch it real time they( Brands and the ref) switch positions. First the ref blocks the view then Brands moves in not leaving much to look at. So the ref not having made any call other than 2 for the takedown goes to review and there's nothing to see except his own a$$ and then Terrys.

Logan got a bit greedy and paid for it, period. He wanted a major and was too stubborn to give up a single takedown that he made a bad move. He dominated up to the slip up, and dominated after.

YEP.

Actually that takedown could be by default (did not occur bc of Ramos's shot, rather Logan making an ill-advised scramble attempt in hopes of preventing 2)

Ramos should just be happy Logan had a lapse in judgement.

Everyone saying he is a great wrestler is true, but say what really should be said: Logan deserved to win that match. There was plenty of time to go for the win on either side. Some people get the inside lane in track, but guess what, that is how it goes?

This is a very dead issue: 5 matches and not once has Ramos done anymore that ALMOST take advantage of a bad Logan mistake. Just give the kid his props and move on. There will be more matches, and the past proves the outcome should't be in doubt.

I definitely think Ramos should have had back points on the cradle, but certainly not a fall. Overall it wouldn't have factored into the match though, Steiber would have still won. Iowa fans should at least rejoice over the two near fall points that weren't counted against DSJ that Welch should have had as well, which actually DID make the difference in the match. For the TLDR, Iowa gets godsends when they actually count :D

Ramos should have had nearfall points, this is the same ref that was at National Duals in Minnesota and there were many questionable calls of his, so many that I contacted NCAA about it and spoke with Mr McCormick. There is a picture out there of the this ref in this match holding up 2 fingers as he had already counted the nearfall points and just waiting to put them on the board. You can find this picture on Flowrestling.

From Twitter:

Anthony Ramos (@T_Ram133) tweeted at 10:25 AM on Tue, Mar 26, 2013:

Iowa fans are the best. Thanks for all the support the past three years now let's stop talking about if that was a bad call and move ahead!

Sent from Tapatalk

From Twitter:

Iowa fans are the best. Thanks for all the support the past three years now let's stop talking about if that was a bad call and move ahead!

Sent from Tapatalk

Show this to that idiot on this forum talking s*** about Ramos.

From Twitter:

Sent from Tapatalk

I agree with everything but Iowa fans are the best! :D :D

From Twitter:

Sent from Tapatalk

I've expressed by admiration for Tony Ramos's honesty re his feelings in the past, and this accentuates that respect. Let's move on. Before we know it, it will be March 2014, and we'll be going head to head again!

All for the love of the sport.