Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Only 2nd time in NCAA history (to my knowledge)

Sophomore Dominic Parisi of Appalachian State defeated Jarrod Garnett of Virginia Tech 7-6 and Tyler Cox of Wyoming 5-4 at the NCAA tournament. Both Garnett (6th) and Cox (8th) went on to make All American status while Parisi did not. To my knowledge beating two All Americans, while not making All American yourself, has only happened once before when Fred Santaite of Boston beat both Troy Nickerson and Nikko Triggas at the 2010 tournament.

Others who beat All Americans who were not All Americans themselves at the 2013 tournament.

Matt Snyder of Virginia def Trent Sprenkle of North Dakota State 12-6 (Sprenkle took 5th)

Richard Durso of Franklin and Marshall def Nick Dardanes 8-4 (Dardanes took 7th)

Jake Sueflohn dec Nick Brascetta 4-2 (Brascetta took 8th)

Kyle Bradley dec James Green 6-5 t.b. (Green took 7th)

Josh Demas dec R.J. Pena 7-6 (Pena took 5th)

Tanner Weatherman dec Jordan Blanton 16-14 (Blanton took 7th)

I like to study these results as they help to showcase the vast amount of parity, and therefore the growth of it in our sport.

Sophomore Dominic Parisi of Appalachian State defeated Jarrod Garnett of Virginia Tech 7-6 and Tyler Cox of Wyoming 5-4 at the NCAA tournament. Both Garnett (6th) and Cox (8th) went on to make All American status while Parisi did not. To my knowledge beating two All Americans, while not making All American yourself, has only happened once before when Fred Santaite of Boston beat both Troy Nickerson and Nikko Triggas at the 2010 tournament.

Others who beat All Americans who were not All Americans themselves at the 2013 tournament.

Matt Snyder of Virginia def Trent Sprenkle of North Dakota State 12-6 (Sprenkle took 5th)

Richard Durso of Franklin and Marshall def Nick Dardanes 8-4 (Dardanes took 7th)

I like to study these results as they help to showcase the vast amount of parity, and therefore the growth of it in our sport.

I'm not saying it happens often by any stretch of the imagination but I also doubt it is as rare as you claim.

Didn't this happen to Shane Onufer of Wyoming just last year?

That makes it having occurred in 3 of the past 4 years.

I'm not saying it happens often by any stretch of the imagination but I also doubt it is as rare as you claim.

What two 2012 All Americans did Onufer beat?

What two 2012 All Americans did Onufer beat?

Ben Jordan of Wisconsin was the only one he beat.

how about first round loss came back to take 3rd. anyone do that

Off the top of my head - Dustin Manotti was seeded 6th ( I believe) and lost first round at 149 in 2005 and came back to take 3rd. He beat the 1,2,3,5, and 7 seeds on the way back, or something like that

Off the top of my head - Dustin Manotti was seeded 6th ( I believe) and lost first round at 149 in 2005 and came back to take 3rd. He beat the 1,2,3,5, and 7 seeds on the way back, or something like that

I think he was seeded higher than 6th, but you may be right. Lost 13-5 to Tony Hook of Oregon State, who lost in the R12 to Trent Paulson of Iowa State, who Monotti then majored in the 3rd place match. The parity of wrestling gives me a headache. I empathize with anyone who is in charge of doing rankings.

It was 7th and it was 2006 at 157 his senior year. He beat 1,3,4,8,9. He lost in the semis his soph and junior year at 149.

I also seem to remember jimmy Kennedy losing first round one year and almost wrestling all the way back on the backside. Zach sanders used to wrestle back to AA too before his senior year quite a bit to be a 4 time AA.

I also seem to remember jimmy Kennedy losing first round one year and almost wrestling all the way back on the backside. Zach sanders used to wrestle back to AA too before his senior year quite a bit to be a 4 time AA.

But Sanders was always wrestling back from the quarterfinals. 3 out of his 4 years were wrestling back from the quarters. His sophomore year was when 125 was crazy and he was upset in the first round. He went 6,5,5,3.

Kennedy lost the pigtail match and wrestled back to take 5th.

Another was Vinson at 149 last year. Seeded 4th and lost to Lester of Okla State first round. Then avenged his loss in the consis later

What makes that one so impressive is that as Vinson was seeded #4, he gets upset in the first round and wrestlesback to the 3rd place match where he faces #10 seed Cam Tessari who also was upset in the opening round and wrestledback to face Vinson. They then wrestled one of the most exciting matches of the tournament where Vinson came out on top 12-10.

The D1 Preview edition of WIN magazine had a piece on this. Since 1972, there have been 14 wrestlers to do that. Seems like a lot, but really it only happens a little more than once every ten years.

Prior to 72 the person who beat you had to make the finals in order to be in the conso's. There was also the span in the 80's where a first round loser had to be pulled in by a 2nd round win from the guy who beat him.

Added later: Okay, I just re-read the OP and realize that my post is not in context, but I'm leaving it posted anyway. I was thinking same season, not same NCAA championsip tournament

Rollie Peterkin in the 2008-09 season completely dominated Zach Sanders winning the Las Vegas Invite and also dominated Robles (Peterkin hits a flying squirrel on Robles at the 6:15 mark of the video) in the finals of the Keystone Classic (the video shows #13 Peterkin beating #3 Robles in AZ). Sanders took 6th and Robles took 4th at NCAAs the same year. This was the year Nickerson beat Donahoe. Nickerson and Peterkin faced off many times for some great battles.

Added note:

At 125 you had Sprenkel, Kjar, Frank Perrelli, Triggas, Garnett, Martinez from WY, BJ Futrell, and Sanders.

http://www.cklvwrestle.com/2008forms/Results-2008.pdf

I remember watching Rollie in high school when he was still competing out of MA, damn impressive. He always looked MUCH smaller than the competition (even at 103 and 112) his first few years yet was always at or near the top.

It's too bad he never AA'd...

I remember watching Rollie in high school when he was still competing out of MA, damn impressive. He always looked MUCH smaller than the competition (even at 103 and 112) his first few years yet was always at or near the top.

It's too bad he never AA'd...

He fell short in the round of 12 three times. I wonder how many can say that? He has several wins of AA's without being one himself.

On a similar stat, Robert Hamlin has 7 wins over national champions and was never one himsel. 7! 5-1 vs Bosak and 2-2 vs Wright. I wonder if anyone else comes close to that

The D1 Preview edition of WIN magazine had a piece on this. Since 1972, there have been 14 wrestlers to do that. Seems like a lot, but really it only happens a little more than once every ten years.

Prior to 72 the person who beat you had to make the finals in order to be in the conso's. There was also the span in the 80's where a first round loser had to be pulled in by a 2nd round win from the guy who beat him.

Um, Math 101. If it happened 14 times over 42 seasons that is once every 3 years, not once every 10 years so it actually isn't that uncommon.

This season it went the other way. Of the 20 wrestlers in the 3rd place match 18 of them were in the semis.

Larry Quisel (Boise State) in 1999. Seeded 4th that year, Quisel lost to Wallman (Wisconsin) in the first round and then battled back to win 3rd. Along the way he beat the 2, 5, 7, and 8 seeds (Kraft, Snyder, Arias, Wineberg). Wallman did not place.

Yeah, it looks on average about once every 3 years - but Vinson was the first to do it since Manotti - a six year span. Also, Vinson, Manotti and Quisel were all seeded.

In 2004 Bergman was unseeded at 197 and beat the 3,4, and 8 seeds on his way back to 3rd.