hammerlockthree

Humphrey's Awkward Smack Talk Attempt

23 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Zain won't turn him, and he can't poop him out from top, so i am thinkin 6-2.

Yeah Zain’s pressure on his feet doesn’t seem to wear guys out in free.  I’m thinking Hump’s points come counter offensively. 

13 minutes ago, nom said:

How is Reece staying near wrestling shape?  Is he coaching?  Looked online, didn’t see anything.  Last medal at a competition looked to be 2016.  Wikipedia calls him a retired freestyle wrestler.

Yeah he runs the RTC at Princeton or wherever..... 
@AHamilton it's less about Zain being untouchable and more about him being one of our current "Top Dogs" and Reece finishing his actual competitive career a few years ago, as a "gatekeeper" type guy.... Basically Evan Henderson, or Eiermen these days....  and that was when he was still trying to make a team... now as a coach.... I mean an 8pt defeat is a win for him. 
Yes Zain lost a horrible match, but in the same breath, Reece lost some rough ones in his prime, and he's been retired. Lets be reasonable 

Edited by spladle08

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

@AHamilton it's less about Zain being untouchable and more about him being one of our current "Top Dogs" and Reece finishing his actual competitive career a few years ago, as a "gatekeeper" type guy.... Basically Evan Henderson, or Eiermen these days....  and that was when he was still trying to make a team... now as a coach.... I mean an 8pt defeat is a win for him. 
Yes Zain lost a horrible match, but in the same breath, Reece lost some rough ones in his prime, and he's been retired. Lets be reasonable 

And if it matters, I would pick both Henderson and Eierman to defeat him as well.... 
Eierman may get tossed on his head though. 

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Humphrey was actually a World Team member, and I do not see that in the cards for Henderson or Eierman.

I do not think that he can beat Zain, unless Zain does something stupid and/or gets thrown.  However, lets not talk about Zain as "top 10" in the world, when it looks very unlikely that our rep will participate in Tokyo.

Edited by AHamilton

27 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Humphrey was actually a World Team member, and I do not see that in the cards for Henderson or Eierman.

I do not think that he can beat Zain, unless Zain does something stupid and/or gets thrown.  However, lets not talk about Zain as "top 10" in the world, when it looks very unlikely that our rep will participate in Tokyo.

You don't think he is a top 10?  
I do... well top 15....  We have some talent at the weight. And yes Hump made a team in 2015...I was saying he ended his career in the current form of Eierman/Henderson (he did reach greater heights) but Zain is currently neck and neck with the top dogs in the world. Nobody outside of the top 5 or 6 is beating him regularly, and those guys struggle with him. 
He likely wins by tech, but while top 10 is something we could argue over. He is top 15, no matter how you slice it. 
#Cheers! Enjoy the matches! 

Edited by spladle08

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Humphrey was at or near the top but I don't agree on calling a 3x world team member a gatekeeper. He retired after bumping up for 2016 OTT where he lost to Pico in the semis.

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Humphrey was at or near the top but I don't agree on calling a 3x world team member a gatekeeper. He retired after bumping up for 2016 OTT where he lost to Pico in the semis.

Oh was that his last match? That tech? Fair.... He was tough. 4 years ago. 
Gatekeeper may have been dismissive. I guess I was saying, "When he last competed you knew he had slim to no chance of being the rep". 
Was he a 3x member. I remember him making 2-teams down a weight, did he go to worlds 3x. I guessed he had 2 wins on the stage? Was I off there? For being a fan of Reece, I really don't know the specifics of his senior level career. 

*Genuinely wanting to know more about his solidness at the time. I think I may be overlooking something. I see him as explosive offense with limited defense. "Give up 2 in hopes of scoring 4" I just see that as a recipe for disaster with somebody as solid as the Z-Train. Especially after being retired.  Maybe I am wrong. 

Edited by spladle08

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Oh was that his last match? That tech? Fair.... He was tough. 4 years ago. 
Gatekeeper may have been dismissive. I guess I was saying, "When he last competed you knew he had slim to no chance of being the rep". 
Was he a 3x member. I remember him making 2-teams down a weight, did he go to worlds 3x. I guessed he had 2 wins on the stage? Was I off there? For being a fan of Reece, I really don't know the specifics of his senior level career. 

Just did a quick wiki and here is what I got for his worlds appearances

2011 60kg: 2-1, lost in quarters to 5th

2013 60kg: 2-1, lost in quarters to bronze.

2015 61kg: 1-2, lost in R16 to silver, in repechage lost to Bajrang who took 5th. Pretty sure this was the year he beat Dennis for the spot (Dennis won OTT at 57 the following year)

2016: bumped up to 65, got teched by Pico in semis, retired / injury defaulted on the back side

Just did a quick wiki and here is what I got for his worlds appearances
2011 60kg: 2-1, lost in quarters to 5th
2013 60kg: 2-1, lost in quarters to bronze.
2015 61kg: 1-2, lost in R16 to silver, in repechage lost to Bajrang who took 5th. Pretty sure this was the year he beat Dennis for the spot (Dennis won OTT at 57 the following year)
2016: bumped up to 65, got teched by Pico in semis, retired / injury defaulted on the back side
Hey thank you for that. He was tough. Always appreciate knowledge.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Unfortunately, I've seen it too, and it was reminiscent of "Burroughs hasn't seen scrambling like Askren" 
Man, when Flo did the "Lets cover Hump relentlessly"  (Long before Desanto.. wanna say 2015?) my friend bet me $500 he would make the world finals, simply based on gymnastics.
Don't get it twisted, I love the guy and think he is great for the sport but... 
Those expecting him to "launch" a top-10 world level wrestler, after being retired X amount of years...  I mean how delusional do you have to be... 
This isn't a 6x world champ coming off a 2 year layoff... this is a 2x World team member? with I'll guess 2 wins on the world stage... that hasn't competed seriously since what 2016? (man I'm just taking shots in the dark on stuff I could easily look up) if you think he can toss one of our main candidates this Olympic cycle to his back.... We got serious issues at the weight. 
Zain may not "Tech" him, But I would assume 5 takedowns is very likely. Maybe 1 brazen "Big throw" attempted by Hump. but the "Lil Fundamental" Aka "Metcalf 2.0" doesn't get into those exchanges often, and it's just a horrible matchup for the Highlight. 

We already have serious issues at the weight. I believe it's the only one we haven't qualified. Hope whoever comes out of this weight can get it qualified a la J'Den 4 years ago. 

I am pessimistic about Zain internationally, and I think he is one of the best folkstylers ever. 

He's not our freakiest athlete, his motion/hand fight are brutal but it doesn't translate to push outs because he isn't actually that physical, he can't shoot as much in free so that undermines his hand fights ability to wear guys even more......

He really wrestles a lot like Gabe Dean, who also didn't seem to translate great.

Maybe the biggest thing is that toughness isnt as important in free, or it requires a different toughness....

Edited by hammerlockthree

53 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I am pessimistic about Zain internationally, and I think he is one of the best folkstylers ever. 

He's not out freakiest athlete, his motion/hand fight are brutal but it doesn't translate to push outs because he isn't actually that physical, he can't shoot as much in free so that undermines his hand fights ability to wear guys even more......

He really wrestles a lot like Gabe Dean, who also didn't seem to translate great.

Maybe the biggest thing is that toughness isnt as important in free, or it requires a different toughness....

And at those middle weights, you almost have to be a freak athlete. 

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Anybody who has fought TJ Gantt since his move to 74 keggers a few years back would disagree.

Victory, loss, or otherwise his opponent is always lookingnat that clock because it is just a flat out brutal beating.