hammerlockthree

Humphrey's Awkward Smack Talk Attempt

10-0 techfall.  Zain Train.
I always like when people come back and say, "I was wrong."
Taking ownership of the poor assessment is commendable.
That said, social media popularity always produces some unreasonable expectations....
How about Dean though!!!!!
I saw that coming, glad I was right :)

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I always like when people come back and say, "I was wrong."
Taking ownership of the poor assessment is commendable.
That said, social media popularity always produces some unreasonable expectations....
How about Dean though!!!!!
I saw that coming, glad I was right :)

I think I was one of the few that said Zain was techfalling.

On that note, I will say three things I was wrong about.

Beard having a size and strength advantage.  Jackson was bigger, faster, and stronger.  Beard had nothing for him aside for a gimme that he didn't even get because he got too eager to finish early in the 2nd period.  I am flabbergasted that Jackson made 79 keggers a couple seasons back.  I would be okay with him getting even bigger and going 92 in off-years (being that he isn't going to beat Taylor this cycle).

Starocci beastmoding on the Marstellar.  I believe my words were something along the lines of 'He's going to tech the midget' and I was far from wrong.  Marstellar in fact outwrestled him for a majority of the match.  Big fan of both after this, and I am very much looking forward to seeing what Marstellar can do at 79 in the future.  He looked good, fast, healthy... just all around solid.

Taylor techfalling Dean.  To me Taylor winning via Techfall against any US Domestic guy at 86 kilos was a foregone conclusion (including JB), but Dean showed that his power needs to be respected.  I cannot wait to see Dean against Martin in a couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think I was one of the few that said Zain was techfalling.

On that note, I will say three things I was wrong about.

Beard having a size and strength advantage.  Jackson was bigger, faster, and stronger.  Beard had nothing for him aside for a gimme that he didn't even get because he got too eager to finish early in the 2nd period.  I am flabbergasted that Jackson made 79 keggers a couple seasons back.  I would be okay with him getting even bigger and going 92 in off-years (being that he isn't going to beat Taylor this cycle).

Starocci beastmoding on the Marstellar.  I believe my words were something along the lines of 'He's going to tech the midget' and I was far from wrong.  Marstellar in fact outwrestled him for a majority of the match.  Big fan of both after this, and I am very much looking forward to seeing what Marstellar can do at 79 in the future.  He looked good, fast, healthy... just all around solid.

Taylor techfalling Dean.  To me Taylor winning via Techfall against any US Domestic guy at 86 kilos was a foregone conclusion (including JB), but Dean showed that his power needs to be respected.  I cannot wait to see Dean against Martin in a couple weeks.

Starocci beastmoding on the Marstellar: I agree whole-heartedly, this made me a bigger fan of both. I don't know if Marstellar will ever come into his own as far as a world-team, but he will be a hurdle for anyone in the U.S. 
Starocci has such a high ceiling. I'm eager to watch him develop. I honestly thought he would lose this one by 4.

Taylor techfalling Dean: I knew Dean was solid enough from Neutral and doubted he would give up any par-terre points, so I assumed it would be a 2 or 3 point match... I didn't expect the barn-burner ending. I'm already ready for the next match! That said, his style keeps it close with a lot of people, he could get beat before he even makes it to Taylor, by about anyone else in the bracket, and that's disappointing. But a best of 3 between those 2 would make me happy. 
#Cheers Brother. Look forward to your future analysis.

•  

Did Taylor look a bit “off” to anyone else?

Max Dean is a great wrestler, but not great enough to put Taylor off his game like that. Various Iranians and Russians can’t even do that.

Bad cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Did Taylor look a bit “off” to anyone else?

Max Dean is a great wrestler, but not great enough to put Taylor off his game like that. Various Iranians and Russians can’t even do that.

Bad cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure you meant Gabe Dean.  Perhaps Gabe’s training partner is decent.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:02 PM, spladle08 said:

You don't think he is a top 10?  
I do... well top 15....  We have some talent at the weight. And yes Hump made a team in 2015...I was saying he ended his career in the current form of Eierman/Henderson (he did reach greater heights) but Zain is currently neck and neck with the top dogs in the world. Nobody outside of the top 5 or 6 is beating him regularly, and those guys struggle with him. 
He likely wins by tech, but while top 10 is something we could argue over. He is top 15, no matter how you slice it. 
#Cheers! Enjoy the matches! 

I am afraid you are either greatly overestimating Zain's ability or greatly under estimating how good the rest of the world is.  There are probably 5 to 6 guys in Russia alone who would either be favored over Zain or a "pick em" match.  Add in great wrestlers like Ottoguro Jap., Barang Ind., Aliev Azb., Valdes Cuba, And Musakaev Hung. Flo's top 20 ranking currently has 8 Russians in it and Zain is not included.  JO is the only American at #14.  You also have JO and Yianni in this country who along with Zain make up our top 3. Zain has not yet established himself as a top guy in this weight in the world.  That is not to say that he can't do that in the future but so far he hasn't. 

44 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I am afraid you are either greatly overestimating Zain's ability or greatly under estimating how good the rest of the world is.  There are probably 5 to 6 guys in Russia alone who would either be favored over Zain or a "pick em" match.  Add in great wrestlers like Ottoguro Jap., Barang Ind., Aliev Azb., Valdes Cuba, And Musakaev Hung. Flo's top 20 ranking currently has 8 Russians in it and Zain is not included.  JO is the only American at #14.  You also have JO and Yianni in this country who along with Zain make up our top 3. Zain has not yet established himself as a top guy in this weight in the world.  That is not to say that he can't do that in the future but so far he hasn't. 

Zain > JO, though.  The last time they wrestled, at least.  Same can be said for Johnny D.  Beat JO last time as well(pretty convincingly too).

Zain > JO, though.  The last time they wrestled, at least.  Same can be said for Johnny D.  Beat JO last time as well(pretty convincingly too).
I'll allow it...

And@lu1979 I think I'm pretty reasonable at valuing people correctly. Im pretty immersed in the international scene.
Zain's issue is his ability to have so many close matches. From 1-20 he's going to win or lose 5-4.... It's basically just Metcalf reincarnate....
JO has the ability to crush lesser competition but as everyone knows if it doesn't end quickly... The 2nd half of matches isn't his forte .. I don't think he has the motor to beat the top 5.
Johnny seems like the best bet but we will see if he can get to the big dance.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I'll allow it...

And@lu1979 I think I'm pretty reasonable at valuing people correctly. Im pretty immersed in the international scene.
Zain's issue is his ability to have so many close matches. From 1-20 he's going to win or lose 5-4.... It's basically just Metcalf reincarnate....
JO has the ability to crush lesser competition but as everyone knows if it doesn't end quickly... The 2nd half of matches isn't his forte .. I don't think he has the motor to beat the top 5.
Johnny seems like the best bet but we will see if he can get to the big dance.

There is no doubt in my mind that Zain can compete with the best guys in the world.  The match he lost to Valdez at the last WC was very competitive.  His loss to Rashidov the defending World Gold medalist was also very close.  The question is can he start winning those matches when it counts.  Until he does it is hard to make a case for him in the Worlds top 15 or top 20.  It also doesn't help when he takes a loss like the one in Pan Ams even if it was rather fluky.  Again between Zain, JO and Yianni it is going to come down to who is having a great day.  As much as I would like to I don't see how any of those 3 can be considered a top 10 guy in the World until they start proving it in a major tournament