Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

2003 NCAA Champions

2003 NCAA Champions

ncaa-champs-2003.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=2003 NCAA Champions

Taking it back to the NCAA champions and medalists of 2003!

This class includes two of the most feared and most dominant upperweight wrestlers in New Jersey history!

2003 NCAA Champions

125 - Travis Lee, Cornell
133 - Johnny Thompson, Oklahoma State
141 - Teyon Ware, Oklahoma
149 - Eric Larkin, Arizona State
157 - Ryan Bertin, Michigan
165 - Matt Lackey, Illinois
174 - Robbie Waller, Oklahoma
184 - Jake Rosholt, Oklahoma State
197 - Damion Hahn, Minnesota
285 - Steve Mocco, Iowa

Check out all the medalists!

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=2003

If anyone has the champions picture from another year, you can email it to support@jerseywrestling.com, and it will be added to the website!

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

NCAA Champions for Cornell
Click on Wrestler Name for Details
Wrestler Career Record Win Pct Falls High School
Dave Auble 1958-1960 51-1 98.08% 18 Ithaca, New York
Frank Bettucci 1951-1953 50-3 94.34% 0 Ithaca, New York

Don Dickason 1951-1953 31-11-2 72.73% 0 Champaign, Illinois
David Hirsch 1991-1994 116-17 87.22% 0 Clarkstown South, New York

Glenn Stafford 1927-1929 26-1 96.30% 0 Ithaca, New York

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:
NCAA Champions for Cornell
Click on Wrestler Name for Details
Wrestler Career Record Win Pct Falls High School
Dave Auble 1958-1960 51-1 98.08% 18 Ithaca, New York
Frank Bettucci 1951-1953 50-3 94.34% 0 Ithaca, New York

Don Dickason 1951-1953 31-11-2 72.73% 0 Champaign, Illinois
David Hirsch 1991-1994 116-17 87.22% 0 Clarkstown South, New York

Glenn Stafford 1927-1929 26-1 96.30% 0 Ithaca, New York

So David Hirsch won 116 matches without a single fall? I am assuming the other three are just did not have accurate records.

16 minutes ago, Jim L said:

So David Hirsch won 116 matches without a single fall? I am assuming the other three are just did not have accurate records.

Was wondering the same although all of these were well before Boomer passed away leaving the more recent Lehigh and EIWA stats up to JDA. I don't think we've updated NCAA stats other than brackets since 2014. The Cornell HOF listing for him doesn't mention any falls but they didn't seem consistent with others in this regard.

52 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Hmmm, can someone verify this?

Maybe you should.  Stop posting on here for 34 years and then let me know if it felt like a long time.  After that, stop for another 9 and then compare.  Please start RIGHT NOW!  I will eagerly await your results.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Maybe you should.  Stop posting on here for 34 years and then let me know if it felt like a long time.  After that, stop for another 9 and then compare.  Please start RIGHT NOW!  I will eagerly await your results.

I dont appreciate this tude.

11 hours ago, Jim L said:

He had 7 falls and 15 tech falls out of 112 wins (per the Cornell record book).

I was at this NCAA tournament and my 2 strongest memories from it are the two heartbreaking losses for Lehigh wrestlers.  Jon Trenge lost on a TD to Hahn in the last couple of seconds in the finals.  It was a great match and it seemed that Trenge had it won.  Really clutch performance by Hahn.   Earlier in the Semi Finals Brad Dillon lost to Waller in a very controversial manner.  The match had gone to the 30 second tiebreaker with Dillon on the bottom.  At one point Brad was kicking across the mat like crazy with Waller barely holding on to his foot when it appeared he had escaped.   Dillon actually thought he had won at that point. but the ref said he had blown it dead as a stalemate.  The ref called another stalemate again when Waller was hanging on a leg.  That should have been a stalling call and Waller had already been warned.  I know I am biased as a Lehigh fan and alum but I always thought that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen at nationals. 

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

That Dillon vs Waller match IIRC is a big reason why the OT & tiebreaker rules changed, including how they called the stalemates and stalling in rideouts.   Though my memory isn't what it used to be...

I always reference this match as the impetus for the rule change. A lot of data probably backed up the change, but this was the most visible example. Or as some call it, "The Waller Rule."

12 hours ago, Konquest said:

It looks that way because he has a huge head.  And I say this with the complete acknowledgement that he could end my life 50 different ways with his bare hands.

Idk man his shoulders are clearly above Hahns and appear to be above Moccos as well. But yes his head is giant also. I also say that with the acknowledgment that he could fold me up like a piece of origami.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:52 AM, Gantry said:

That Dillon vs Waller match IIRC is a big reason why the OT & tiebreaker rules changed, including how they called the stalemates and stalling in rideouts.   Though my memory isn't what it used to be...

You can rewatch the match on you tube.