Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State's lineup? What WILL it be for 2021?

Some of the ten weight classes for Arizona State seem to be obvious but some are not.  Here is MY GUESS and that's ALL that this is right now:

125 lbs - Brandon Courtney - RS Junior - 2020 PAC 12 champ at 125 lbs

133 lbs - Michael McGee - RS Junior - Transfer from Old Dominion OR Nick Raimo - RS Freshman

141 lbs - Josiah Kline - RS Junior - Arizona State's starter at 133 lbs for 2019 season

149 lbs - Peter Lipari - RS Senior - Transfer from Rider - Competed at 141 lbs last season for Rider OR Cory Crooks - RS Senior

157 lbs - Jacori Teemer - RS Sophomore - 2020 PAC 12 champ at 157 lbs

165 lbs - Anthony Valenca - RS Senior - Three time PAC 12 champion (2020, 2018 & 2017)

174 lbs - ???  Previously I thought Trey Munoz would be here however he recently competed at 191.4 lbs.

184 lbs - Cade Belshay - RS Junior

197 lbs - Kordell Norfleet - RS Junior - Two time  PAC 12 champion (2020 & 2018)

285 lbs - Cohlton Schultz - RS Freshman

57 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Some of the ten weight classes for Arizona State seem to be obvious but some are not.  Here is MY GUESS and that's ALL that this is right now:

125 lbs - Brandon Courtney - RS Junior - 2020 PAC 12 champ at 125 lbs

133 lbs - Michael McGee - RS Junior - Transfer from Old Dominion OR Nick Raimo - RS Freshman

141 lbs - Josiah Kline - RS Junior - Arizona State's starter at 133 lbs for 2019 season

149 lbs - Peter Lipari - RS Senior - Transfer from Rider - Competed at 141 lbs last season for Rider OR Cory Crooks - RS Senior

157 lbs - Jacori Teemer - RS Sophomore - 2020 PAC 12 champ at 157 lbs

165 lbs - Anthony Valenca - RS Senior - Three time PAC 12 champion (2020, 2018 & 2017)

174 lbs - ???  Previously I thought Trey Munoz would be here however he recently competed at 191.4 lbs.

184 lbs - Cade Belshay - RS Junior

197 lbs - Kordell Norfleet - RS Junior - Two time  PAC 12 champion (2020 & 2018)

285 lbs - Cohlton Schultz - RS Freshman

Teemer was at 76kg 167 so could see everyone bump Teemer,Valencia and Munoz.Chlebove and Vasquez were both 67kg 147 so maybe Chlebove is a 141 and Vasquez 149 he will push Lapari right away

Edited by calot

10 minutes ago, calot said:

Teemer was at 76kg 167 so could see everyone bump Teemer,Valencia and Munoz.Chlebove and Vasquez were both 67kg 147 so maybe Chlebove is a 141 and Vasquez 149 he will push Lapari right away

I thought the same thing myself, i.e., that Teemer might move up to 165, Valencia at 174, etc.   But then who would they have at 157 lbs? 

Also that would mean Belshay and Munoz battle it out for the starting spot at 184 lbs and according to WrestleStat's rankings that favors Belshay.

9 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I thought the same thing myself, i.e., that Teemer might move up to 165, Valencia at 174, etc.   But then who would they have at 157 lbs? 

Also that would mean Belshay and Munoz battle it out for the starting spot at 184 lbs and according to WrestleStat's rankings that favors Belshay.

Maybe Vasquez/ Lapari loser bumps up.Munoz will beat Belshay.

Vasquez competed two weeks ago at 143 lbs.    Seems more likely he would compete for the starting spot at 141 lbs.  IF he is not going to be redshirted.  Rather than move all the way up to 157 lbs.  

Lapari and Crooks both competed at 141 lbs last season so again it seems unlikely either one of them would move up two weight classes - from 141 lbs to 157 lbs.  But anything is possible I suppose.   I just don't see anyone on the ASU roster who could replace Teemer at 157 lbs. 

As to who would win between Munoz and Belshay - I guess that's why they have the wrestle-offs.  Right?

24 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Vasquez competed two weeks ago at 143 lbs.    Seems more likely he would compete for the starting spot at 141 lbs.  IF he is not going to be redshirted.  Rather than move all the way up to 157 lbs.  

Lapari and Crooks both competed at 141 lbs last season so again it seems unlikely either one of them would move up two weight classes - from 141 lbs to 157 lbs.  But anything is possible I suppose.   I just don't see anyone on the ASU roster who could replace Teemer at 157 lbs. 

As to who would win between Munoz and Belshay - I guess that's why they have the wrestle-offs.  Right?

I mentioned 67kg 147 that was the weight for Vasquez and Chlebove  it was +2 kg.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Crooks wrestled 154 at U23 and is currently in the 174 certification - which means he has to weigh at least 165.1. He may be at 157 if Teemer is moving up 

Writing off Zane Coleman already?  Raimo says he wants to go 133. Chlebove at 141. With this year not counting towards eligibility, Vasquez could be the 149 starter. I don’t see him cutting all year to 141. So here are my guesses. Crooks is not starting caliber for a team to finish top 5. Same goes for Belshay. 

125- McGee. Raimo takes the spot at 133 and McGee drops. This was McGees weight for most of the last couple years. 
133- Raimo. He wants to be here. No way Raimo wants to go down just to compete with Figs in another year 
141- Chlebove- not much behind him here  He is on a different level that those behind him  

149- Vasquez. No need to red shirt with getting an extra year anyways. 
157- Teemer. He moves up in a year or two. I don’t think he has a need to right now. Maybe Cael’s spot in a couple years. 
165- Valencia. This is where he wants to be. 
174- Munoz. He is a workout warrior. He is going to be big here and fit great. 
184- Coleman. Has been a mystery so far. I think he had a lot of adjusting to college lifestyle to do. 
197- Norfleet. He got an extra medical season. Going to see him for 3 more season I believe. 
285-  Schultz. Can’t wait to see the strength. 

Edited by gobraves101905

I guess I'll try my hand at this...

125 - Courtney - Was the #9 seed at NCAAs, and unless McGee plans on cutting down (Which doesn't seem likely), I don't see him being pushed for the spot... until 2021-2022 ;)

133 - McGee - Transfer, has had prior success on the national scene and should be viewed as the clear front runner for the spot.

HM - Belton - Don't expect him to overtake McGee, but looked solid at junior nationals a couple weeks back. Solid depth guy, which ASU has lacked in recent years.

141- Chlebove - Despite being a top 10ish recruit in the class of the 2019 class, I'm not quite sold on him. Very limited redshirt season, and didn't impress too much at juniors. If Vasquez could make the cut, I would not be surprised to see him push Chlebove for the spot. 

149 - Vasquez - Due to a lack of competition throughout the backend of his high school career, Vasquez has become a bit underrated. I think he edges out Lipari for the job, and immediately competes on the national scene and is a top 20ish level guy right away.

157 - Crooks - This is a guy that I think will benefit a ton from moving up. Took 5th at U23s, which supports the idea that he's much more talented than his collegiate results suggest. I wouldn't be surprised if he qualified for NCAAs come march. 

165 - Teemer - I ultimately think Jacori ends up moving up to 165. He looked alright at U23s at 76 KG, but was unable to put together more than a few high level sequences. In my opinion Teemer will be a measuring stick for this new coaching staff. Teemer is far too talented not to be a shoe in All-American the next four years. If Molinaro, Perry, etc. can break through to him and get him to wrestle 7 minutes, skies the limit. 

174 - Valencia - Valencia could probably make 165, but I don't see him ending up there. Other than that, it's pretty self explanatory. Anthony is as talented as they come, but will need to improve drastically on bottom, and develop another offensive attack if he truly wants to contend for a national title.

184 - Belshay/Munoz - This is one of the few weights that I think we there will be a true competition at. Belshay has proven he can compete at a high level, and Munoz had a really nice redshirt season at 174. I wouldn't rule out Coleman, but he hasn't had any competition on the collegiate level yet. 

197 - Norfleet - If healthy, I expect Norfleet to make a ton of noise this season. When he competed last season, he looked great. He was a guy that I think was really primed to make a splash last year at NCAAs

285 - Schultz - I think we're all really excited to see what Cohl can do against the likes of Gable, Parris, Kerkvliet, etc. He didn't wrestle much folkstyle last season, so I honestly have no idea where he'll fit in, in regards to the national picture. 

Overall, this young team has a ton of potential, and should be really fun to watch. I'm really hoping the coaching staff can get these guys to max out on that potential, and get some hardware at NCAAs. I wouldn't be shocked to see this group finish with as many as 5-6 AAs this season, or as little as 2. Only time will tell!

Edited by RegularStalling

11 hours ago, calot said:

I mentioned 67kg 147 that was the weight for Vasquez and Chlebove  it was +2 kg.

I'm just going by what was mentioned on the Arizona State news article - 65 kilograms = 143.3 lbs

65 -- Jesse Vasquez (unattached)

Round of 64 – Jesse Vasquez VFA Wyatt Turnquist (Wolves Wrestling Club), 4-2

Round of 32 –Jesse Vasquez VSU Daniel Meeker (Dubuque Wrestling Club), 10-0, 0:47

Round of 16 – Jesse Vasquez VSU Michael Burnett (Pittsburgh Wrestling Club), 11-0

Quarterfinals – Joshua Edmond (Tiger Style Wrestling Club) VFA Jesse Vasquez, 10-5

Consolation – Legend Lamer (Central Coast RTC) VPO1 Jesse Vasquez, 15-14

65 -- Julian Chlebove (unattached)

Round of 64 - Julian Chlebove VPO1 Jackson Dean (Pennsylvania RTC), 11-11

Round of 32 - Julian Chlebove VPO1 Danny Fongaro (New York City RTC), 13-7

Round of 16 - Joshua Edmond (Tiger Style Wrestling Club) VSU1 Julian Chlebove, 14-4 

Consolation 16 #2 - Kyler Romero (unattached) VPO1 Julian Chlebove, 17-14

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

I'm just going by what was mentioned on the Arizona State news article - 65 kilograms = 143.3 lbs

65 -- Jesse Vasquez (unattached)

Round of 64 – Jesse Vasquez VFA Wyatt Turnquist (Wolves Wrestling Club), 4-2

Round of 32 –Jesse Vasquez VSU Daniel Meeker (Dubuque Wrestling Club), 10-0, 0:47

Round of 16 – Jesse Vasquez VSU Michael Burnett (Pittsburgh Wrestling Club), 11-0

Quarterfinals – Joshua Edmond (Tiger Style Wrestling Club) VFA Jesse Vasquez, 10-5

Consolation – Legend Lamer (Central Coast RTC) VPO1 Jesse Vasquez, 15-14

65 -- Julian Chlebove (unattached)

Round of 64 - Julian Chlebove VPO1 Jackson Dean (Pennsylvania RTC), 11-11

Round of 32 - Julian Chlebove VPO1 Danny Fongaro (New York City RTC), 13-7

Round of 16 - Joshua Edmond (Tiger Style Wrestling Club) VSU1 Julian Chlebove, 14-4 

Consolation 16 #2 - Kyler Romero (unattached) VPO1 Julian Chlebove, 17-14

The event was +2kg 

13 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Writing off Zane Coleman already?  Raimo says he wants to go 133. Chlebove at 141. With this year not counting towards eligibility, Vasquez could be the 149 starter. I don’t see him cutting all year to 141. So here are my guesses. Crooks is not starting caliber for a team to finish top 5. Same goes for Belshay. 

125- McGee. Raimo takes the spot at 133 and McGee drops. This was McGees weight for most of the last couple years. 
133- Raimo. He wants to be here. No way Raimo wants to go down just to compete with Figs in another year 
141- Chlebove- not much behind him here  He is on a different level that those behind him  

149- Vasquez. No need to red shirt with getting an extra year anyways. 
157- Teemer. He moves up in a year or two. I don’t think he has a need to right now. Maybe Cael’s spot in a couple years. 
165- Valencia. This is where he wants to be. 
174- Munoz. He is a workout warrior. He is going to be big here and fit great. 
184- Coleman. Has been a mystery so far. I think he had a lot of adjusting to college lifestyle to do. 
197- Norfleet. He got an extra medical season. Going to see him for 3 more season I believe. 
285-  Schultz. Can’t wait to see the strength. 

No love for Lipari? 

I'm thinking it is Teemer at 165 and Valencia at 174 all day.  Teemer looked decent at 165 before his semi-slide (after he lost it seems he was just trying big stuff and didn't care the result).  Valencia also looked much better collegiately at 174 than 165, AND his freestyle results at 74kg (163.1lbs) were better after not cutting for an entire collegiate season.

Big picture, 165-174 makes more sense than 157-165 for them.  Whoever they can fill in at 157 would outperform whoever they would put out at 174 in the other scenario.  I also like Crooks.  Looked good at U23 and reminds me a lot of Oster from Northwestern(who went 149-165 last year with an increase in output/success).