Sign in to follow this  
Sean h

College Season ??

I expect the bolder colleges will start having dual meets in January. As covid numbers drop (hopefully) and basketball and wrestling continue having events without incident (hopefully), more teams will have duals and more events will be scheduled. Someone else posted about a possible watered-down NCAA tourney in March - something along the lines of 1/2 as many qualifiers and no attendees. I think this was just someone speculating, not any official position. Not great, but better than nothing.

Chicken**** ivy league schools will miss the season unnecessarily.

10 minutes ago, Boompa said:

It will have to do with how many schools are actually wrestling.  If 50% of schools are out, there will be a 16 man bracket.

Sounding like a 16 man bracket regardless of how many teams 

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

It will have to do with how many schools are actually wrestling.  If 50% of schools are out, there will be a 16 man bracket.

Everything I've heard says short season starting in January, who has said they are out?

I would advise Athletes to Redshirt this Year, if they have an available Redshirt,   Too much uncertainty, If 1 person on your team, or the team you are against get it, then everyone has tp quarantine for 2 weeks Maybe be forced to miss NCAA, or Conference, meaning you can't go to NCAA,  or if you are a Top Wrestler and you don't get COVID, but a lot of your competitors get it including projected High All Americans, lets say there is an outbreak at Big 10's and 5 or of the 8 Projected All Americans have to be quarantined, if you win everyone would say it is watered down, Still a great Achievement for many, but if you are a top Wrestler, wouldn't you rather the top competition being there and winning? of course every year  some Top Wrestlers get injured, but many could not be able to compete through no fault of their own.  I would advise athletes to Redshirt, and just have Wrestlers who do not have a Redshirt available compete.    Since many Top Wrestlers Redshirt as Freshman and have already used it, there would still be many outstanding Wrestlers who don't have the Redshirt option competing.

I expect many to disagree, but it is my opinion.

10 minutes ago, dougb said:

I would advise Athletes to Redshirt this Year, if they have an available Redshirt,   Too much uncertainty, If 1 person on your team, or the team you are against get it, then everyone has tp quarantine for 2 weeks Maybe be forced to miss NCAA, or Conference, meaning you can't go to NCAA,  or if you are a Top Wrestler and you don't get COVID, but a lot of your competitors get it including projected High All Americans, lets say there is an outbreak at Big 10's and 5 or of the 8 Projected All Americans have to be quarantined, if you win everyone would say it is watered down, Still a great Achievement for many, but if you are a top Wrestler, wouldn't you rather the top competition being there and winning? of course every year  some Top Wrestlers get injured, but many could not be able to compete through no fault of their own.  I would advise athletes to Redshirt, and just have Wrestlers who do not have a Redshirt available compete.    Since many Top Wrestlers Redshirt as Freshman and have already used it, there would still be many outstanding Wrestlers who don't have the Redshirt option competing.

I expect many to disagree, but it is my opinion.

And then when you come back next year & the University says "sorry we don't have a scholarship available" your advice is?

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Everything I've heard says short season starting in January, who has said they are out?

The Ivy League-they were first to be out just like last year.  I’m not sure how many schools will be willing to invest the resources necessary to have a wrestling season. 

39 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The Ivy League-they were first to be out just like last year.  I’m not sure how many schools will be willing to invest the resources necessary to have a wrestling season. 

Investment already done, its a sunk cost now, pretty sure they are all practicing, they don't save much by not wrestling.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I think every single person is going to disagree, because this is a free year and there are no redshirts.  You don't lose any eligibility if you go this year, including seniors.

Wow,  That is great news, A nothing to lose year,  My Bad

This quote is from nj.com interview with Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs. They are trying to give it a go and it’s nice to see they are lumping us in with basketball and not the “Olympic sports” even though we are one. 10 years ago I don’t think Rutgers is given that distinction. 

“The work of the ADs in the conference has been about getting basketball, wrestling and, for our hockey schools, all of those seasons launched. And now we’ll turn our focus to the Olympic sports.’'

16 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I expect the bolder colleges will start having dual meets in January. As covid numbers drop (hopefully) and basketball and wrestling continue having events without incident (hopefully), more teams will have duals and more events will be scheduled. Someone else posted about a possible watered-down NCAA tourney in March - something along the lines of 1/2 as many qualifiers and no attendees. I think this was just someone speculating, not any official position. Not great, but better than nothing.

Chicken**** ivy league schools will miss the season unnecessarily.

Yes, I'm sure that indoor sports like wrestling and basketball will go more smoothly than the outdoor football season has gone in the NCAA.  Really?

The chicken*** Ivy League schools were the first to cancel the post-season in basketball last year, and all the other chicken**** teams soon followed.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Yes, I'm sure that indoor sports like wrestling and basketball will go more smoothly than the outdoor football season has gone in the NCAA.  Really?

The chicken*** Ivy League schools were the first to cancel the post-season in basketball last year, and all the other chicken**** teams soon followed.

Indoor or outdoor, it's virtually impossible to spread covid thru a 7-minute exposure. Other mitigations can protect the event overall (masks, limited attendees, daily testing of athletes).

As far as the ivies are concerned, you're right that they were leaders last spring by cancelling basketball first. However, this fall they were the first to cancel football, but other teams that didn't follow their lead are now by very nice seasons with limited covid outbreaks.

14 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Indoor or outdoor, it's virtually impossible to spread covid thru a 7-minute exposure. Other mitigations can protect the event overall (masks, limited attendees, daily testing of athletes).

You can show data on that? I couldn't and I don't think there's much real study after events. A couple have sent out questionnaires but the kids themselves aren't likely to show much and you'd have to wait several weeks to see symptoms passed on to other family members. Especially in situations where people are literally breathing on the other guy's nose? If you get breathed on and wipe it off and go to your nose, mouth or eyes I would think it could happen much sooner. The 15 minute rule is mainly from early Chinese data and generally now used to define needing to get tested as part of a contact trace.

Do I have data? Who tf do you think I am? I have a job and family - I can't spend my time running around collecting sample data on covid. I rely on CDC guidance. They have hundreds of scientists.

Minimum for exposure is 15 minutes, but in most cases it requires much longer exposure - 45 min. to an hour. If you want to do your own research, knock yourself out.

22 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Do I have data? Who tf do you think I am? I have a job and family - I can't spend my time running around collecting sample data on covid. I rely on CDC guidance. They have hundreds of scientists.

Minimum for exposure is 15 minutes, but in most cases it requires much longer exposure - 45 min. to an hour. If you want to do your own research, knock yourself out.

15 min exposure is for testing and quarantine purposes.If someone with Covid sneezes in your face you can get the virus.They don't have to sneeze in your face and then sit with you for 15 min 

Edited by calot

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

As far as the ivies are concerned, you're right that they were leaders last spring by cancelling basketball first. However, this fall they were the first to cancel football, but other teams that didn't follow their lead are now by very nice seasons with limited covid outbreaks.

Virtually impossible? Lol. It just takes somebody who is infectious breathing on you.