lu1979

A 2nd Cuban enters the fray

The news out of ISU is rather exciting.  Yonger Bastida will be joining the ISU team starting this year.  I guess Coach Dresser was so upset that A Echemedia changed his commitment to Ohio St. that decided to recruit another Cuban to ISU.  Mr. Bastida's credentials look impressive - Jr World Silver, Under 23 Bronze and silver behind Cox at Cerro Pelado.   If he can master getting out from the bottom he could contend at 197.   I can't wait to see  him in action.

31 minutes ago, calot said:

Has freestyle wins over Gadson,Zillmer,Woodley and Cabell.Will take him sometime to develop.Hes a true freshman so he will have plenty of time.

Those are some pretty impressive wins for a young kid.  It will be great to see how he adjusts to folkstyle.  

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Those are some pretty impressive wins for a young kid.  It will be great to see how he adjusts to folkstyle.  

Agree.Heard he's on a Visa as well.Anyone who knows Dresser knows he gets things done.Wouldnt  shock me to see him with a few more Cubans soon 

This is awesome to see but curious how ISU was able to pull this off. I don't have much knowledge on Cuban immigration policy but how were they able to get him into a American college without him defecting and being able to come and go from the island?

Dresser could have just started a pipeline of Cuba-USA wrestling relations.

7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I’m very excited 

I doubt he gets any good wins this season. He has never wrestled folk. He needs at least a year in the room to make it interesting. Excited to watch him progress

6 hours ago, calot said:

Has freestyle wins over Gadson,Zillmer,Woodley and Cabell.Will take him sometime to develop.Hes a true freshman so he will have plenty of time.

How long did it take Alan Gelogaev to transition? I didnt think it was long.

19 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

How long did it take Alan Gelogaev to transition? I didnt think it was long.

Gelogaev is a great example! He didn’t compete his first year at OSU. I imagine they spent 24/7 on bottom/top

Luvsandorj Was a prep champ and wrestled in the US in high school. He had a couple years of folkstyle befor his first college match. 

Ugi I can’t remember well before college. Not sure if he had folk experience. 

All I’m suggesting is that it will take time for him to be able to beat the upper level college folkstylers. A junior world silver is really impressive, but it doesn’t mean right off the bat he will AA.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:59 AM, armchairfan123 said:

This is awesome to see but curious how ISU was able to pull this off. I don't have much knowledge on Cuban immigration policy but how were they able to get him into a American college without him defecting and being able to come and go from the island?

Dresser could have just started a pipeline of Cuba-USA wrestling relations.

Their government changed policy and allowed some students to study abroad

2 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Here's video for those that want to further relive the glorious moment!

This needs to be preserved in the Library of Congress.  This documents the sole time Nelson left the secure comfort of his parallel ride.  It doesn’t matter that this was against a puffed up 197 lber who trained freestyle his whole life.  This was impressive in its sheer uniqueness.

On 12/3/2020 at 9:36 PM, jchapman said:

This needs to be preserved in the Library of Congress.  This documents the sole time Nelson left the secure comfort of his parallel ride.  It doesn’t matter that this was against a puffed up 197 lber who trained freestyle his whole life.  This was impressive in its sheer uniqueness.

John Smith should have told him отвернуться !!!

That means "look away" according to google translate.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:36 PM, jchapman said:

So true.  The man was a beast, but I do not miss watching him wrestle.  Z on the other hand was always fun.