HokieHWT

Goodbye Non-Revenue Sports

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Not meaningful if it's fun?  That sounds miserable. 

Meaningful? I don't recall talking about something being meaningful.

At any rate, I'm really surprised that everybody on this forum seems to think that the government should forcibly take money from Person A, and give that money to Person B so that Person B can fly around the country and have fun with his friends.

Edited by Katie

3 hours ago, Katie said:

You are literally saying you think the government should forcibly take my money to pay for other people to have fun.

In terms of high school, taxes are forcibly taken from all of us and used by the government in a variety of ways, many of which each individual will never benefit from. Just talking about the high school context, yes, I support tax payer money going to programs that will allow high school students to have athletic and artistic fun. Within reason, of course. I'm not advocating for unlimited budgets and support of every sport or art form under the sun. 

In terms of college, no one forces anyone to go to college. For those that do, a portion of the tuition (and taxpayer money for public schools) goes to support all sorts of things that that individual may never benefit from. Why should tuition go towards a student union or clubs that an individual that a student will never join? Why should students be forced to pay fees towards a rec center that they will never set foot in? Why should a portion of their tuition go towards the academic departments that have nothing to do with the student? Colleges are communities and communities are made up of a lot of different things. There are some specialized colleges that focus on a narrow set of academic subjects and have little to no arts or athletics. People that prefer that environment are free to support those institutions. I don't want wasted tax-payer money or wasted tuition anymore than anyone else, but I also do think that a university campus should be a lot bigger than one individual's narrow set of interests. 

Edited by Return of Aztec

2 hours ago, Katie said:

At any rate, I'm really surprised that everybody on this forum seems to think that the government should forcibly take money from Person A, and give that money to Person B so that Person B can fly around the country and have fun with his friends.

thats literally what happens everyday when govt is involved.

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Im ok with using the resources of society for the greater good of society. Development of young people is for the greater good, as are roads, health care, common defence, police and much more. Fun is part of living, so i don't know why that is your buzz word of the day. 

28 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Im ok with using the resources of society for the greater good of society. Development of young people is for the greater good, as are roads, health care, common defence, police and much more. Fun is part of living, so i don't know why that is your buzz word of the day. 

If you really think that being forced to subsidize some random person’s hobby counts as contributing to the greater good, then please send me a picture of the front and back of your debit card.  I’ll make sure the greater good is super duper well funded. 

Edited by Katie

9 minutes ago, Katie said:

If you really think that being forced to subsidize some random person’s hobby counts as contributing to the greater good, then please send me a picture of the front and back of your debit card.  I’ll make sure the greater good is super duper well funded.

Of course i think that.  Giving a malcontent my debit card doesn't serve the greater good.  That is just my opinion of course, so you are welcome to go through the proper legislative channels and force it out of me.

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Of course i think that.  Giving a malcontent my debit card doesn't serve the greater good.  That is just my opinion of course, so you are welcome to go through the proper legislative channels and force it out of me.

So if a legislature says a tax-funded expenditure is for the greater good, you would never ever disagree?  I guess some people need their hand held through life. 

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

So if a legislature says a tax-funded expenditure is for the greater good, you would never ever disagree?  I guess some people need their hand held through life. 

I disagree but I don't put a chip on my shoulder and get hyperbolic on a message board.  Why is your line in the sand 'fun'?  What does that have to do with public expenditures? 

48 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I disagree but I don't put a chip on my shoulder and get hyperbolic on a message board.  Why is your line in the sand 'fun'?  What does that have to do with public expenditures? 

If you love being forced to subsidize D3 water polo teams and the like, that's your choice.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

So if a legislature says a tax-funded expenditure is for the greater good, you would never ever disagree? 

Of course not. But I understand that the government can't cater to what I, or any other single individual, considers to be the greater good. I support arts and athletics at the high school and college level. As such, I am comfortable with a portion of my tax dollars going to these endeavors. If I think funds are going to an illegitimate cause, I am free to write letters, call, vote for people I think will spend money better, run for office, etc. If I feel powerless to help change things for the better, I can accept it or live in bitterness.

Would you support eliminating all government support of all artistic, cultural, and athletic programs? Is there any level (school, city, county, state, federal) where you would be okay with the powers-that-be allocating funds for those purposes? 

12 hours ago, Katie said:

yes, why do so many politiicians use my tax money to travel the nation

now if you want to say they should stop charging students fees for sports... i might agree with that.

sports are just as educational as school. maybe more so.

tax money for some of that in my book is not a problem.

i can see much more wasteful spending.

I have a question for anyone who really wants to know what the problem with govt spending is.

on a say 4 inch line, put million at one end and trillion at the other.

Now, tell me, w/o google, where billion goes.

40 minutes ago, GockeS said:

now if you want to say they should stop charging students fees for sports... i might agree with that.

sports are just as educational as school. maybe more so.

tax money for some of that in my book is not a problem.

i can see much more wasteful spending.

I have a question for anyone who really wants to know what the problem with govt spending is.

on a say 4 inch line, put million at one end and trillion at the other.

Now, tell me, w/o google, where billion goes.

If I recall my high school math correctly ,a billion is 1000 million,a trillion is 1000 billion.

That would put 1 billion close to the 1 million  point.

11 hours ago, Katie said:

If you love being forced to subsidize D3 water polo teams and the like, that's your choice.

D3 water polo teams are being subsidized by the tuition dollars of the people on the team who probably wouldn’t be going there without that team.

To that point, I guess I wouldn’t hate D1 nonrevenue sports getting rid of athletic scholarships, but getting rid of them seems excessive IMO.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

D3 water polo teams are being subsidized by the tuition dollars of the people on the team who probably wouldn’t be going there without that team.

To that point, I guess I wouldn’t hate D1 nonrevenue sports getting rid of athletic scholarships, but getting rid of them seems excessive IMO.

I’m pretty sure all students at D3 schools are forced to contribute to athletic budgets, as are taxpayers — one way or the other. If I’m wrong let me know. I’m often wrong. 

Edited by Katie