GranbyTroll

I really enjoyed the "Mekhai Lewis is hard to score on" Era

46 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

This took longer than I thought it would.  

Mekhi had a hot year and everyone thought he was the, "next coming" is how I remember it happening.

I mean he is still on track to be a 4 time NCAA champ.. he started wrestling freestyle like 2 and half years ago and who knows what his training situation been like over the last year 

he’s wrestling in an event that has a 3 KG weight allowance i doubt he’s in peek form right now

Edited by Antitroll2828

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I mean he is still on track to be a 4 time NCAA champ.. he started wrestling freestyle like 2 and half years ago and who knows what his training situation been like over the last year 

he’s wrestling in an event that has a 3 KG weight allowance i doubt he’s in peek form right now

I don't disagree.  He had a great run two years ago.

35 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Karchla is going to be special. Lewis had nothing for him. I was shocked.

The bigger tell is Wick dominating as Mekhi beat him to make the finals in his run. Mekhi didn't look like Mekhi this weekend. Could either be off or figured out.

56 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Mekhi is also a junior world champ so he had the credentials to be an emerging star after his run at NCAAs. Not everyone is always able to continue steep upward trajectories the way Snyder and Burroughs did though. That’s why when it does happen, those guys are special.

BINGO...

4 hours ago, Mphillips said:

This took longer than I thought it would.  

Mekhi had a hot year and everyone thought he was the, "next coming" is how I remember it happening.

He had one of the best NCAA tournaments ever, I am serious about that, but outside of that he was a great recruit who was panning out well, not the second coming. 

11 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

He had one of the best NCAA tournaments ever, I am serious about that, but outside of that he was a great recruit who was panning out well, not the second coming. 

Absolutely, but he was billed as such.  

48 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

This is an exhibition. We're giving glorified practice the same weight as the NCAA tourney?

In the mean time, I come away thinking, as a result of seeing this exhibition, our best chance to qualify 65 kg is if Yianni D is our rep. Call it a hunch.

It was hard to know how much to take away from any of this. How much stock should we put in a quarantine result? Before this weekend, Lewis hadn't wrestled a match since last December, I believe. He's not the only one, but a layoff like that affects different people differently.

That said, it's now on him to prove which version of him is real moving forward.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, hammerlockthree said:

He had a great tourney.  Does anyone remember the draw Marinelli had as the #1 seed that year?  The draw did him no favors, whatsoever.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:30 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

You paint a picture of a Freestyle Virgin. He was a Jr World Champ. 

7 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

You paint a picture of a Freestyle Virgin. He was a Jr World Champ. 

"In his first international tournament and just his third freestyle competition" would lend credence to that. I believe this was his 5th freestyle event overall; if jr. worlds was #3 then Farrell was #4 and RTC Cup was #5 unless I forgot one?

https://hokiesports.com/news/2018/9/23/wrestling-lewis-wins-gold-at-junior-world-championships#:~:text=BLACKSBURG – In his first international,in Trnava%2C Slovakia on Sunday.

18 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

"In his first international tournament and just his third freestyle competition" would lend credence to that. I believe this was his 5th freestyle event overall; if jr. worlds was #3 then Farrell was #4 and RTC Cup was #5 unless I forgot one?

https://hokiesports.com/news/2018/9/23/wrestling-lewis-wins-gold-at-junior-world-championships#:~:text=BLACKSBURG – In his first international,in Trnava%2C Slovakia on Sunday.

Big deal. In my 5th freestyle event ever I got 7 tech falls in two different age divisions. 

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Joe Smith was a terrible first round draw for a #1

On paper yes, but his body could not handle the drop to 165 , he had just taken 5th at the big 12s, losing to Brandon Ashworth and demtrious Romero, and had a record of 21-8 total for the season including just 7-4 at 165 ,with Connor Flynn being his best win